Official Review: Girl with the Flat Tire by Leon Loy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Official Review: Girl with the Flat Tire by Leon Loy

Post by AvidBibliophile »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Girl with the Flat Tire" by Leon Loy.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Girl with the Flat Tire by Leon Loy is a thrilling crime tale of happenstance associations. Loy takes you back to the 1970s, to a little Texas town called Flat Mountain. When two initially divergent storylines converge in fatefully unexpected ways, survival becomes hoped for but not guaranteed. The story begins in the aftermath of an attack on a drug-addicted broad in her late twenties named Angel. Who’s responsible for the domestic assault? Her live-in boyfriend John Brookner, a real gem of a guy that followed her home after a ZZ Top concert. As he skips town with a duffel full of drugs, so does a machete-toting Julio, the dealer to whom John owes a significant amount of cash.

Meanwhile, in Mississippi, a sweet divorcée named Anna leaves the reminders of her adulterating husband and divorce behind as she watches her hometown fade into the rearview mirror. But when a flat tire leaves her suddenly stranded on a dusty Texas road as night falls, a handsome fella named Travis comes along. But can you trust the sudden appearance of a chivalrous, country man with a sexy southern drawl? An oilfield roughneck studying to become a certified petroleum geologist? When sweet Anna, cocaine John, and savior Travis suddenly all find themselves in a mystery trifecta, rolls of duct tape and scenes of collateral damage follow the trio across the county as Brookner leaves a trail of bloody carnage in his wake. The entire story takes place over a 48-hour period, and the level of suspense stays just as revved up as Brookner’s black-and-gold Oldsmobile 442.

Loy clearly possesses a talent for descriptive prose and an effortless ease of storytelling. He juxtaposes drug-fueled delinquents against endearing moments of blossoming love and humor. There are Native American legends, quaint antique shops, cheap motel pools, nostalgic record albums, and bell-bottom jeans. The story is told in 31 chapters, over 235 pages. I feel this book would be appropriate for adult audiences, since there are mature themes, sexual innuendos, and scattered bits of profanity present. This crime thriller is perfect for readers who like storylines with repeat offenders on the run, and for those who possess a familiarity with certain Texas state highways and towns. I did encounter a small handful of typographical and grammatical errors, but they did little to disrupt the flow.

Themes of armed robbery, suicide, cheating husbands, prostitution, kidnappings, gun violence, Apache scalpings, illicit drug use, the Viet Cong, and murder are mentioned to varying degrees throughout. There is also presence of some derogatory terminology with ethnic slurs like: “gooks, wetbacks, darkies, hicks, pigs, spics, and baboons.” Brookner's character exhibits a clear implication of cultural disdain, as he proceeds to enact a racially-motivated hate crime at a truck stop. While this set of personality traits assists in creating a true antagonist, readers who might be sensitive to such topics should be forewarned.

I award this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. There is an unexpected twist at the end, and the story offers a decisive conclusion. If you like vigilante justice, drug cartels, retribution, payback, and love at first sight, then you’ll enjoy this twisted tale of romance and revenge. As the cover states: “she wasn’t looking for trouble, but he was looking for her,” and it seems some things (and people) are simply destined to collide. This is the author’s third novel.

Girl with the Flat Tire
View: on Bookshelves
RetiredOBNurse
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RetiredOBNurse »

How exciting and suspenseful this book sounds! Having grown up in this era, as well as living in Texas for 30+ yrs, I would feel right at home in many ways. I had a boyfriend who had an Oldsmobile 442 as well but he wasn’t a creepy guy as Brookner must be! Thank you for the excellent review! Look forward to reading it soon.
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aacodreanu »

Definitely a book to read. Not only that but the way you present it, I can see the novel turned into a successful film. I think I can almost do the casting for it. And the title is right too.
Thank you for the great review!
AvidBibliophile

RetiredOBNurse wrote: 22 Mar 2020, 13:57 How exciting and suspenseful this book sounds! Having grown up in this era, as well as living in Texas for 30+ yrs, I would feel right at home in many ways. I had a boyfriend who had an Oldsmobile 442 as well but he wasn’t a creepy guy as Brookner must be! Thank you for the excellent review! Look forward to reading it soon.
Suspenseful for sure, and all of the era-specific cars and fashion choices and records and various other 70s details truly helped build each scene! Luckily most guys aren’t as creepy as Brookner, he was bad news for sure. Thanks!
AvidBibliophile

aacodreanu wrote: 22 Mar 2020, 14:58 Definitely a book to read. Not only that but the way you present it, I can see the novel turned into a successful film. I think I can almost do the casting for it. And the title is right too.
Thank you for the great review!
Ooh, it would make a delightful film, and with the right cast, I can see it unfolding on the big screen too! And it’s always nice when a book title nails it. Thank you so much for stopping by and kindly commenting!
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Wow! This author knows how to pack a lot into 235 pages. This book sounds like wild ride. Thanks for a great review, as always!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
AvidBibliophile

MsH2k wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 00:24 Wow! This author knows how to pack a lot into 235 pages. This book sounds like wild ride. Thanks for a great review, as always!
Haha, and in that fast car, it was a wild ride indeed! Add cocaine to the mix, and speeds were effectively off the charts. Thanks for reading and commenting, my friend!
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

I read your review and learnt alot about this book, yet I've only read its review.
Well done!
Bet on Me! :idea:
AvidBibliophile

Kanda_theGreat wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 06:03 I read your review and learnt alot about this book, yet I've only read its review.
Well done!
Thanks so much, I appreciate you stopping by to read and comment!
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

The themes in this book, the location and the time period in which it is set are super fascinating to me. My interest was captured right when you mentioned ZZ Top! Thank you for your thoughtful review.
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
AvidBibliophile

espo wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 11:22 The themes in this book, the location and the time period in which it is set are super fascinating to me. My interest was captured right when you mentioned ZZ Top! Thank you for your thoughtful review.
Right?! It just offers the perfect storm of decade and locale, then throw in some ZZ Top and you’ve got an undeniable party. Really appreciate you coming by, thank you!
Ogoskino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogoskino.html
Latest Review: adventured of columbus daniel by Columbus daniel

Post by Ogoskino »

This sounds like a book I won't enjoy reading. It sounds somewhat boring. Thanks for the honest review.
AvidBibliophile

Ogoskino wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 15:28 This sounds like a book I won't enjoy reading. It sounds somewhat boring. Thanks for the honest review.
These kind of books definitely aren’t for everyone, but I still appreciate you considering it and leaving some feedback! Thanks so much.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do like unexpected twists. I'm just not sure the content of this one is for me. The fact that it takes place in only 48 hours is quite intriguing, though. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
AvidBibliophile

kandscreeley wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 19:25 I do like unexpected twists. I'm just not sure the content of this one is for me. The fact that it takes place in only 48 hours is quite intriguing, though. Thanks!
That condensed timeframe boggled my mind in the best way too! These characters legit had quite the memorable 2 days together. Thanks for coming by!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”