Official Review: First, Do Harm by Marc Kage

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Re: Official Review: First, Do Harm by Marc Kage

Post by Connie Otwani »

I was almost hooked on the book at the start of your review, only to have to quickly backtrack. Why, oh why do authors skip that important editing step? I hope the author does right by his book and considers your suggestions.

Great review, as always!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
FaithMO19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmo19.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus

Post by FaithMO19 »

Wow. When I started reading this review I thought "hey! Here's medicine and thrill mixed into one" but going further into the review, I saw that there's a lot of errors in the book so like you said, I'm looking forward to the version that's been edited by a professional editor. Lovely review, very insightful
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I was surprised at the mention of POV switching in the same sentence. I don't think I have encountered a book with that error before. I think I'd wait until this book received a round of editing before giving it a try. Thank you for your review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

JoyALB wrote: 10 Apr 2020, 03:29 The plot sounds so intriguing! Such a pity about the many errors. I would be willing to give it a read once the errors are cleaned up. Thanks for the excellent review!
Cleaning the errors would increase the score by far. It would still have some issues, but it would be much better. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Cotwani wrote: 10 Apr 2020, 09:39 I was almost hooked on the book at the start of your review, only to have to quickly backtrack. Why, oh why do authors skip that important editing step? I hope the author does right by his book and considers your suggestions.

Great review, as always!
You're too kind. Perhaps authors don't realize how important it is to have their book at LEAST proofread, if not actually edited. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

FaithMO19 wrote: 10 Apr 2020, 10:08 Wow. When I started reading this review I thought "hey! Here's medicine and thrill mixed into one" but going further into the review, I saw that there's a lot of errors in the book so like you said, I'm looking forward to the version that's been edited by a professional editor. Lovely review, very insightful
Editing is so important. A story could be lovely, but, if it's poorly edited, it doesn't matter. Hopefully the author can clean a few things up! Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Letora wrote: 10 Apr 2020, 17:21 I was surprised at the mention of POV switching in the same sentence. I don't think I have encountered a book with that error before. I think I'd wait until this book received a round of editing before giving it a try. Thank you for your review!
I haven't seen it often in books, but I have seen it a couple of times. It would be something like, "She wished that he would take me out to dinner." Definitely distracting! Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

I see that other comments discuss the editing with interesting remarks. This novel is the only one from this author I see on Amazon, I guess he lacks the experience even to recognize his need for help to develop his book. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I certainly hope the author takes your criticism constructively and reworks the book as it probably has potential then. It certainly needs a good editor. Thanks for your honest review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

NetMassimo wrote: 11 Apr 2020, 03:10 I see that other comments discuss the editing with interesting remarks. This novel is the only one from this author I see on Amazon, I guess he lacks the experience even to recognize his need for help to develop his book. Thank you for your honest review!
My goal in writing reviews, especially when giving low ratings, is to help the author to improve. Most of the time, there is something solid behind the book. I have read the rare book that just doesn't seem salvageable, but this is not one of them. I do hope the author can take my words to heart and improve on this. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Prisallen wrote: 11 Apr 2020, 08:59 I certainly hope the author takes your criticism constructively and reworks the book as it probably has potential then. It certainly needs a good editor. Thanks for your honest review!
It would be worth it! He's got a good concept that just needs to be developed further. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

There does seem to be a lot of room for improvement in this book. I think you did a wonderful job highlighting those areas and I hope this book receives additional editing. It sounds like it’s be a great book to read once it’s been given a little more attention. Thanks for the constructive review!
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis-seres-rodriguez.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

I am a physician, and thus automatically allured to this kind of books. I was so excited when I found it. It's a shame it is so poorly written, I would have loved to read it but it seems I wouldn't enjoy it, after all. Thanks for your honesty.
Sydney Lee
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sydney-lee.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Sydney Lee »

Oh man. It sucks there are so many errors, because it sounds like it could be a great thriller. Good job though for sticking to it. Getting through a book with so many errors is tough; I've done it before and I'm currently doing it again. 😑 It's hard seeing so much potential in a book only to have all the errors ruin it. Thanks for the review! 💕
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

It's a pity that the book has a lot of potential which has been compromised by lack of editing and unrealistic events. The two examples you provided show that this book is in dire need of a thorough, deep cleanup. Thank you for your brilliant review!
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”