Official Review: The Bangs Man by Robert Simer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Bangs Man by Robert Simer

Post by unamilagra »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Bangs Man" by Robert Simer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dr. Thomas Russell is about to graduate from veterinary school toward the bottom of his class, a position that offers him few job prospects upon graduation. Just in the nick of time, he gets an offer to work as a vet for the USDA in East Texas, inspecting cattle. He is so excited to get a job offer that he jumps at the chance and moves to Liberty County, Texas. A short amount of time there makes him feel like this is where he is meant to be, especially when he meets Rachel, a beautiful feed store owner.

Unfortunately, Tom finds himself the enemy of the town right out of the gate, as his job is to test and quarantine herds that have been infected with brucellosis, or Bang’s disease, which has been eradicated from nearly everywhere other than the Gulf Coast region. Tom also finds that growing up on a farm in Illinois didn’t properly prepare him for the level of cowboy he would need to be to herd test East Texas cattle. His bumbling attempts to perform his job draw even more ire from the ranchers who are already upset by his presence. In addition, he begins to suspect that Rachel’s father, the richest man in Liberty County, is behind a plot that perpetuates the spread of Bang’s disease throughout the county. Between receiving threats from disgruntled ranchers and instructions from his boss to just do his job and mind his own business, will he be able to solve the mystery and get the girl?

The Bangs Man by Robert Simer is a mystery novel that is inspired by the author’s own life as a veterinarian in southeast Texas. The story is told from the first-person point of view of Dr. Tom Russell. I really enjoyed him as a character. His outlook on life and self-deprecating humor made him authentic and easy to relate to. I was able to experience his triumphs and embarrassments along with him.

The book contained a lot of information about USDA operations, veterinary medicine, and cattle herding. This is something that I know nothing about, and at times the information got a bit repetitive or overly technical for me as a reader. For the most part, however, I thought the information was very cleverly incorporated. Because Tom himself was completely clueless about these practices and operations, the reader learned right along with him, and it didn’t slow down the plot.

My favorite aspect of the novel was the way the author incorporated his descriptions of East Texas and the Gulf Coast. I have never been to this region of the country, nor has it been on my radar, but the way he described the pastures, forests, and climate really made the area seem intriguing. I can see why the author and his character love it so much. I also enjoyed the mystery. I would categorize this as a light mystery rather than a thriller, and those with aversions to graphic violence or gore can enjoy this book. I do wish the mystery aspect would have started a bit earlier in the novel. It didn’t really get going until the second half of the book. The ending was surprising, but I did find it very abrupt. I would have liked to see it fleshed out a bit more, with more reactions from various characters and a better sense of closure.

Unfortunately, I noticed more than ten errors in the book, leading me to believe that it was not professionally edited. There is a smattering of profanity, so those who are sensitive to that type of content might want to avoid the book. I really enjoyed it overall, but because of the errors and the abrupt ending, I am rating The Bangs Man 3 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this to anyone who loves light mysteries and exploring different regions and ways of life.

The Bangs Man
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
JKO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jko.html
Latest Review: 7 Ways To Manage Pain With CBD by David Anthony Schroeder

Post by JKO »

I would love to read about Tom's experiences in Texas, especially with Rachel. This is a beautiful review.
Kachi_Ejiogu+_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kachi-ejiogu.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kachi_Ejiogu+_ »

The author was able to keep your hands glued to the book by painting a picture for you to feel present with him. Great character development. Apt submission. Excellent review.
Splendour0606
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-splendour0606.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Splendour0606 »

The book sounds interesting.Will give it a try,I love thriller.
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

Uh oh! Why does it have to be the father of the girl you love, eh? I should find out he got to be with Rachel in the end.

Beautiful review. Thanks.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This sounds like an interesting premise. It can be difficult to win over the parents, but this is other level stuff. Thanks for the great review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I am somewhat interested in veterinary medicine, so I do like that aspect of the book. I might have to look at this one further. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

The setting and the premise itself sound unique. I only hope the text gets edited soon.
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

I'm not sure it's the kind of mystery for me as I prefer the thriller type, but this one seems well-developed and quite original, so I'll keep it in mind. Thank you for your informative review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

JKO wrote: 29 Apr 2020, 04:30 I would love to read about Tom's experiences in Texas, especially with Rachel. This is a beautiful review.
Thank you for the compliment and for stopping by!

Kachi_Ejiogu+_ wrote: 29 Apr 2020, 04:42 The author was able to keep your hands glued to the book by painting a picture for you to feel present with him. Great character development. Apt submission. Excellent review.
Thanks for commenting!

Splendour0606 wrote: 29 Apr 2020, 14:47 The book sounds interesting.Will give it a try,I love thriller.
I hope you enjoy it! Thanks for your comment!

Adanna Inya wrote: 29 Apr 2020, 17:34 Uh oh! Why does it have to be the father of the girl you love, eh? I should find out he got to be with Rachel in the end.

Beautiful review. Thanks.
Thanks for stopping by!

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 29 Apr 2020, 17:46 This sounds like an interesting premise. It can be difficult to win over the parents, but this is other level stuff. Thanks for the great review!
Thanks for commenting!

kandscreeley wrote: 29 Apr 2020, 18:49 I am somewhat interested in veterinary medicine, so I do like that aspect of the book. I might have to look at this one further. Thanks.
I hope you enjoy it if you decide to check it out. Thanks for commenting!

inaramid wrote: 29 Apr 2020, 20:56 The setting and the premise itself sound unique. I only hope the text gets edited soon.
Me too. It was far from the worst I've encountered on this site, but it should be cleaned up to help the story shine. Thanks for your comment!

NetMassimo wrote: 30 Apr 2020, 01:46 I'm not sure it's the kind of mystery for me as I prefer the thriller type, but this one seems well-developed and quite original, so I'll keep it in mind. Thank you for your informative review!
Thank you for stopping by to comment!
Tonika632
Currently Reading: White Night
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonika632.html
Latest Review: Chemicals and Christians by Martha McLaughlin

Post by Tonika632 »

I love when the author takes time and develops descriptions of places and characters. You can feel like you are standing right in the book! I can say that I am too not familiar with the veterinarian world so I appreciate the author's will to describe things for us! Thanks for the review!
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis-seres-rodriguez.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

Well, I am not a great fan of first-person narratives, but that seems like an interesting plot. Great review!
Bolu Lawson
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bolu Lawson »

Sounds very intriguing, I must read it.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Herding any kind of animal is difficult, but ai imagine herding cattle to test them for disease is even more so. It sounds like an interesting medical thriller, though not my cup of tea.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”