Official Review: The Man With A Limp by T M Nugent

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3048
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Duck Blinds I Have Known by Donny McElvoy

Official Review: The Man With A Limp by T M Nugent

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Man With A Limp" by T M Nugent.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A group of people is angry with the government for breaching their privacy. Teenage boys try to interrupt a triathlon event in Santa Cruz. Their plan to use explosive devices to cause catastrophic harm is intercepted by the security teams present during the event. However, some lose their lives. Consequently, their families plan to avenge their deaths. Lucky, a bomb expert, is called by an unknown man to go and find a bomb using clues to be provided in a local newspaper. Lucky succeeds in preventing a major explosion in time. He and his friend Jack decide to form a company to tackle threats and train government agents.

Will they be able to stop the succeeding plans? What does this mean for their families? Who was Lucky’s father? Where is he? When did Lucky begin limping?

The Man With A Limp was authored by T M Nugent. The book was published by LitFire Publishing in 2018. The book is approximately 258 pages long. It is divided into two parts and has 33 chapters. This is the first novel written by the author.

The book was gripping from the first down to the concluding page. It was filled with vivid descriptions that enabled me to visualize everything that was described. The story was packed with lots of actions too. There were tense moments where one follows the main characters as they track and deactivate complex improvised explosive devices. One could never foretell where or who the next target would be as one bomb after another was discovered and deactivated in large gatherings. The assailants were not only brilliant but also innovative and hence every new device they used had to be handled differently. The themes handled in the book included romance, terrorism, friendship, family, secrecy, adventure, and teamwork. All these themes and others were combined to generate an enthralling story.

What I liked most about the book was the plot. It presented many themes and relevant concerns in the current world. I was left with a great deal to think about. One of the issues was the consequences related to black operations. Although these missions were successful, no one was willing to trust them, especially if they were illegal tasks. The book was also filled with several twists and turns that made reading this novel more exhilarating. The suspense that was generated was also maintained until the last page. One will also enjoy being transported to different renowned tourist destinations in the world.

The thing I disliked most about the book was the grammatical errors. They ranged from wrong tenses, misspellings, and failure to pluralize nouns where it was necessary. These errors detracted from the general enjoyment of the book. The other thing that was off-putting was the abrupt change in the points of view. The story was primarily told from the first-person point of view, but there were awkward moments where the storytelling would quickly shift to the third person. There were instances where time intervals between different scenes were short and unrealistic too. Consequently, this made the story seem rushed.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I could not give it 2 stars because it was really thrilling and the characters were well-developed. I believe another round of editing will enable it to earn a higher rating. I recommend the book to all ardent fans of crime, thriller, and mystery books. I do not think the book is suitable for children because it is filled with gory scenes and sexual innuendos as well.

There was a cliffhanger at the end. The author also laid a good foundation for the next installment. Therefore, I look forward to reading this book’s sequel, The Chameleon Returns.

The Man With A Limp
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Ediomis_Enwongo01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ediomis-enwongo01.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Ediomis_Enwongo01 »

I think the reviewer's pattern is unique. Using many questions to raise the curiosity of whoever cares to read. Good one really.
JKO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jko.html
Latest Review: 7 Ways To Manage Pain With CBD by David Anthony Schroeder

Post by JKO »

Will they be able to stop the succeeding plans? What does this mean for their families? Who was Lucky’s father? Where is he? When did Lucky begin limping? This are questions I look forward to finding answers to. Thanks for the concise review.
Splendour0606
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-splendour0606.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Splendour0606 »

This group of people are really heroes, risking their lives to save another is a huge sacrifice. I look forward to reading this book. Thanks.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems an intriguing thriller, and I hope the author will do another round of proofreading to improve its readability. Seeing that it's the first book of a series I think I'll wait to see at least one sequel published before deciding if I want to read them. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Kachi_Ejiogu+_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kachi-ejiogu.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kachi_Ejiogu+_ »

Aww. It would have been such a masterpiece without the drawbacks of grammatical errors. Nonetheless, the themes captured in this book are mouthwatering. Thank you for a well-accepted review.
UzmaKhan
Currently Reading: The Woman Before Wallis
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzmakhan.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by UzmaKhan »

Great review🌸

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”