Official Review: The Other Gloria by L. A. Villafane

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Medo12
Currently Reading: The Biblical Clock
Bookshelf Size: 24

Re: Official Review: The Other Gloria by L. A. Villafane

Post by Medo12 »

Now, I don’t mind a story that jumps between years. If it’s done well it can heighten tension and make for great storytelling. But at times, the two different timelines in this story became confusing for me, especially later in the book when she meets Rick in both timelines (I won’t say too much more so as not to spoil anything).It wasn’t so confusing that it made me want to stop reading, but there were a few times I had to pause at the beginning of a chapter to try to remember where Gloria was and what situation she was in at the particular time. If you’re okay with putting in that little bit of extra effort then the time jumping won’t be an issue for you.I liked most things about this book
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I loved The Butterfly Effect, but with the abuse angle, this book sounds like a completely different kettle of fish. I don't think the draw of the alternate realities can overcome that aspect. I'll take a pass on this one. I enjoyed reading your review!
booksandmagicshop
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booksandmagicshop.html
Latest Review: Mock My Words by Chandra Shekhar

Post by booksandmagicshop »

The cover is so mysterious, I was grabbed by it too! I'm dying to read more about Gloria's journey; I don't shy away from gritty topics. So glad to hear you loved it!!
“The magical time is coming. Come to the Magic Shop.
Now, take off your mask and open your eyes.”

- BTS
Daliycheck_1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Daliycheck_1 »

This sounds like an intense read! I love the idea of jumping around in time, and piecing everything together until it all becomes clear and everything is revealed. I'm not a real fan of reading about abuse, but this sounds interesting enough to dive into (and it has a "happy" ending?). Thank you for your review!
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

An intense psychological thriller about a woman suffering from dissociative disorder following the terrible abuses she experienced. A tough subject, but it seems really intriguing. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Kelyn wrote: 17 May 2020, 15:45 I loved The Butterfly Effect, but with the abuse angle, this book sounds like a completely different kettle of fish. I don't think the draw of the alternate realities can overcome that aspect. I'll take a pass on this one. I enjoyed reading your review!
The abuse is definitely difficult to read about, but it was an imperative part of the book to show the gravity of Gloria's situation. Thanks for your comment :)
Stephanie Elizabeth

Medo12 wrote: 17 May 2020, 12:45 Now, I don’t mind a story that jumps between years. If it’s done well it can heighten tension and make for great storytelling. But at times, the two different timelines in this story became confusing for me, especially later in the book when she meets Rick in both timelines (I won’t say too much more so as not to spoil anything).It wasn’t so confusing that it made me want to stop reading, but there were a few times I had to pause at the beginning of a chapter to try to remember where Gloria was and what situation she was in at the particular time. If you’re okay with putting in that little bit of extra effort then the time jumping won’t be an issue for you.I liked most things about this book
I agree; the timelines were a little confusing at first, but so long as I paid attention, it wasn't a problem. Thanks for your comment!
Stephanie Elizabeth

booksandmagicshop wrote: 17 May 2020, 21:31 The cover is so mysterious, I was grabbed by it too! I'm dying to read more about Gloria's journey; I don't shy away from gritty topics. So glad to hear you loved it!!
Thank you :)
Stephanie Elizabeth

Daliycheck_1 wrote: 17 May 2020, 22:36 This sounds like an intense read! I love the idea of jumping around in time, and piecing everything together until it all becomes clear and everything is revealed. I'm not a real fan of reading about abuse, but this sounds interesting enough to dive into (and it has a "happy" ending?). Thank you for your review!
You won't be disappointed! Thanks for your comment.
Stephanie Elizabeth

NetMassimo wrote: 18 May 2020, 02:31 An intense psychological thriller about a woman suffering from dissociative disorder following the terrible abuses she experienced. A tough subject, but it seems really intriguing. Thank you for your great review!
Thanks!
Sydney Lee
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sydney-lee.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Sydney Lee »

This book sounds interesting and intense. I'm pretty curious about it. Just reading the description gets my heart racing. Great review! I'll probably be reading this sometime in the future.
Tonika632
Currently Reading: White Night
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonika632.html
Latest Review: Chemicals and Christians by Martha McLaughlin

Post by Tonika632 »

This book seems promising. I like thrillers overall, and going back and forth in time is making every book even more interesting (although I like that the author puts years, maybe dates right after the title of the chapter). I love the cover too, it really draws my attention. Amazing review, thank you!
Stephanie Elizabeth

Sydney Lee wrote: 18 May 2020, 17:59 This book sounds interesting and intense. I'm pretty curious about it. Just reading the description gets my heart racing. Great review! I'll probably be reading this sometime in the future.
It's definitely a book that was impossible to put down. Thanks for your comment.
Stephanie Elizabeth

Tonika632 wrote: 19 May 2020, 00:47 This book seems promising. I like thrillers overall, and going back and forth in time is making every book even more interesting (although I like that the author puts years, maybe dates right after the title of the chapter). I love the cover too, it really draws my attention. Amazing review, thank you!
Thanks for reading and commenting :)
NjorogeSymoh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njorogesymoh.html
Latest Review: The Russian Lieutenant by Peter Marshall

Post by NjorogeSymoh »

An interesting book that portrays how the struggles of an abused person dealing with dissociative disorder can struggle to know what is really reality. I found myself wondering if Gloria would make it out alive.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”