Official Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Twylla
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Intwine
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twylla.html
Latest Review: Contagion Domination by William Nisol
fav_author_id: 165843

Official Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Twylla »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Waterworks" by Jack Winnick.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The water supply in Los Angeles has been poisoned by Hezbollah! A nearly undetectable radioactive material called polonium, more than a trillion times more deadly than cyanide, has been dropped into the aqueduct reservoir that supplies drinking water to Los Angeles. The Chief Scientist at the L.A. Department of Water and Power was so sure there was nothing wrong with the water, he drank a full glass from the reservoir at a news conference. Sadly, he died shortly afterward.

Lara Edmond and Uri Levin are both Mossad agents in Israel, but they are always available to the FBI in the United States when needed. They were asked to help find the nuclear reactor where the polonium is being made. The two spies are now notoriously famous in the Middle East and would easily be recognized. So the FBI engaged Hollywood to give them both a temporary makeover.

One of my favorite things about the book is the military technologies they use in the field. Facial recognition could be used to locate the agents from cameras housed in drones and satellites at a minimum of 50,000 feet with 99% certainty at specific times of the day. The electronic chips in their phones connected them to their home base using top-secret military satellites. Uri’s Baby Eagle III and Lara’s “B” weapon were two of my favorites.

One of the most powerful moments for me in the book was when Lara was reminded of Jeff Cohen, the famous Israeli spy who was hanged in a public square in Damascus. His body was on display for days to make an example out of him. Lara knew this was the most dangerous assignment of her life.

Another favorite thing about the book is the description of Middle Eastern food. Uri’s hostess prepared a breakfast of warm bread with honey, freshly drained from the honeycomb. Lara’s hostess prepared a breakfast of dates and figs and hot Persian coffee. At Lara’s dinner with Major Asani, they had grilled chicken appetizers served on pastries, lamb shank in a saffron sauce, and beef kebab kateh. For dessert, there was fruit-colored ice cream surrounded by slices of local fresh fruit and sprigs of flowers. The food in the Middle East is amazing.

Waterworks by Jack Winnick is the 5th book in the Lara and Uri series. Like all of the other books in the series, the story stands alone. This book is well written and professionally edited. I found a few minor typos, but nothing that took attention away from the story. I love the dark humor that always surfaces between Uri and Lara whenever they find themselves in a dangerous situation. I can’t think of one thing I didn’t like about the book.

I am proud to give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I highly recommend Waterworks to anyone who likes a smart, suspenseful espionage story. Readers should be aware that the political perspective is pro-Israel. The most frightening thing about this story is that it could happen.

Waterworks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Julyet_Chris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julyet-chris.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Higher Ground by Thomas A. Brigger

Post by Julyet_Chris »

Books filled with suspense is one of my weak spots,I look forward to reading this book.
Thanks for a good review.
_Lindsey_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey.html
Latest Review: The Curl by Raymond George Ward

Post by _Lindsey_ »

This sounds so exciting! There's nothing more nail-biting than a suspense novel. Thanks for writing such an informative review. I'm really interested in this book.
Gracious Ngy88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Gracious Ngy88 »

Such an informative description and review. I love the fact that it is suspense filled.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

A new book in the Lara and Uri series! I read only the first novel and I appreciated the balance between fieldwork and intelligence work in this spy thriller series. I see that the quality is still there. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Tonika632
Currently Reading: White Night
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonika632.html
Latest Review: Chemicals and Christians by Martha McLaughlin

Post by Tonika632 »

I don't like political themes and books. I will skip this one. That was a great review!
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennydelacruz.html
Latest Review: Relieved by Cheryl Richardson

Post by jennydelacruz »

I just finished reviewing this book and I have also given the same rating, 4 out of 4 stars!
This is a delightful read for those people who enjoy the action-packed and thrilling criminal acts and investigation of international magnitude.
Alexandra1234
Currently Reading: The Cult Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandra1234.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Alexandra1234 »

I read The Devil In False Colors by Jack Winnick and I absolutely loved it. I'm really looking forward to reading more about Lara and Uri's adventures.

You wrote agreat and thorough review! :techie-studyinggray: :)
'' A book is a dream you hold in your hand.'' - Neil Gaiman

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”