Official Review: The Devil's Eclipse

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Devil's Eclipse

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Devil's Eclipse" by Christopher Williams.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Devil’s Eclipse: 6.66 Tales of Horror, by Christopher Williams, is a collection of eight brief tales. The anthology focuses on themes typically found in the horror genre: Demons from Hell, creepy monsters, black magic, aliens, and ghosts are just some of the strange creatures that make up the tales in Williams’ anthology. The stories in this collection are short, and the collection can easily be read in one sitting. However, readers should be aware that some stories include vulgar themes, sexual situations, and crass language.

Each story in this collection is short and to the point. The author does not waste time on erroneous details; however, Williams does an excellent job of concisely setting the initial scenes for each story. Williams manages to successfully set a tone and introduce characters for each tale in the anthology. For example, a sleepy southern setting, characters with extreme racial biases, and a strained marriage were just some elements of the stories that were clearly conveyed in the early stages. Despite the strong introductions, the short length of the stories did not always work to the author’s advantage. Many of the stories could have benefited from additional narrative to enhance the overall impact of the themes and characters.

As strongly as the setting, tone, and characters were portrayed, the stories lack the feelings of suspense readers of this genre crave. Although some of the tales ended cleverly, none of the stories were particularly frightening. The entire collection is missing a sense of tension, which is necessary to immerse the reader in the horrific narratives the author attempts to attain. Moreover, there are multiple instances where the stories rely only on shock and awe to horrify the reader. These stories mostly dealt with difficult themes, like pedophilia or bullying. These were my least favorite tales because the reliance on morbid elements proved to be a poor placeholder for actual scenes of horror.

In addition to the stories having a somewhat mediocre sense of the horror genre, the book needs further editing. There were many errors noted in the text, including missing punctuation, improper capitalization, and a few misspelled or made up words. The need for additional editing made this book feel unprofessional in places and detracted from the storytelling.

The Devil’s Eclipse is a difficult anthology to rate. Overall, I enjoyed the easy reading of the collection, and I found some of the presented situations and settings intriguing. However, the grammatical errors and general lack of suspense and frightening elements left me wanting more from these stories. If the collection was professionally edited, I would consider a higher rating. In its current state, I award The Devil’s Eclipse 2 out of 4 stars. Readers might enjoy elements of this book if they are looking for an anthology made up of short tales about strange and ugly things.

The Devil's Eclipse
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
charlotte13
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by charlotte13 »

This is a spectacular book the details and imagery in this book are mind blowing.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

I like horror stories, but poor editing can spoil the experience of reading a book where tension is a crucial factor and distraction interrupts that experience. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Laurina Michael Olowoniran
Currently Reading: Be the Change: The Future is in Your Hands
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Sees The Light by AC Michael

Post by Laurina Michael Olowoniran »

I think I'll pass on this stories about demons and hell. Beautiful review
Frannie Annie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frannie-annie.html
Latest Review: Loneliness in the Pocket by Graeme Stuckings

Post by Frannie Annie »

Horror stories are interesting, but I don't like the fact that this book lacks tension and is poorly edited. Will pass. Thanks for the review.
UzmaKhan
Currently Reading: The Woman Before Wallis
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzmakhan.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by UzmaKhan »

Awesome Review! I think I'm gonna check it out🌸
Tonika632
Currently Reading: White Night
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonika632.html
Latest Review: Chemicals and Christians by Martha McLaughlin

Post by Tonika632 »

The cover is a bit strange along with the theme. I might read this one. Nice review!
book_fanatic_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-fanatic.html
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato

Post by book_fanatic_ »

though I'm not a fan of horror stories but this one seems to be interesting. I like the fact that the author does not waste time on erroneous details, as fast-paced stories engage me more. Thanks for the nice review.
She read books as one would breathe air, to fill up and live. - Annie Dillard
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato
Usuma Khan
Currently Reading: Hands Across The Sea
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Usuma Khan »

Looks like the best book to read for a good night's sleep.(Kidding)
I think I will skip this book about hell and demons. Appreciate the review.🌸

“There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate’s loot on Treasure Island.”
-Walt Disney

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”