Official Review: Civil Righteousness by D. Francois

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Official Review: Civil Righteousness by D. Francois

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Civil Righteousness" by D. Francois.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The year 2020 came with many interesting events — COVID-19 was the most impactful. While the world was adjusting to the harsh realities of the pandemic, another incident occurred that received global attention — the inhumane killing of a black man (George Floyd) by a white cop. The latter event and its effect on the world make Civil Righteousness by D. Francois a timely book.

Apart from being his adopted brother, Manny Brazil shares a common passion with Dr. Heath Wright — to create a utopian world devoid of social injustice and racial discrimination. The only way they figured to accomplish this noble cause was to embark on a time travel mission to stop the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. After much deliberation, they agreed to send Manny back to two days before the assassination. The risk was analyzed and precautionary measures laid out to avoid any unforeseen consequences their clandestine mission would have on the present. However, Manny allowed his emotions to take hold of him, killing a diner owner and one of his customers in the process. This event led to an alteration in Heath's life. He turned from a devoted husband to a cheating one in 24 hours. With his marriage on the brink of collapse, Heath needed to do something to save it. Would he be able to pay the stiff price required?

Like I said earlier, Civil Righteousness is a timely book considering the momentum the Black Lives Matter movement is gathering. Our world is gradually changing as it concerns racial discrimination and social injustice. Opinions are divided between racism being a hoax and the fact that all lives should matter. However, amid the global debate, Francois presents a unique perspective of the issue through this book. Though fictional, this story gives one huge key that I find interesting — the movement to eliminate racism requires the combined efforts of both the black and white folks. This is seen in how Dr. Heath (a white character) works with Manny (a black character) to find a solution to racism. The core lesson of this book is essential if we hope to see a world where all forms of discrimination are eliminated.

The storyline of this book, though not unique, was well developed. The author paid attention to details to ensure no holes were in the plot. I followed the buildup of the story and watched it get to its climax. The journey through this book was a progressive and smooth one. The author did an excellent job of connecting the dots and not leaving me confused at any point. In addition to the details, the author provided a story that was relatable and believable. There were no ambiguous concepts with the intention of rabble-rousing the reader. Every scenario painted in the book was realistic and easy to follow.

What I liked most was the transitions in this book. The switch from the present to the past and back was seamless. I always knew which times were in play at every point in the book. I also liked how the author explained the concept of time travel without losing grip of the story. I would say that the author did thorough research before putting this book together. Ultimately, I enjoyed reading this book.

There was nothing I disliked about this book — the writing was on point, and the editing was professional. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to lovers of time travel stories. I wouldn't recommend it to teenagers due to the level of profanity I found.

Civil Righteousness
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

A world devoid of social injustice and racial discrimination. Ah, that's a world I'd love to live in. Thank you for this insightful review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

Hmmm.
“The only way they figured to accomplish this noble cause was to embark on a time travel mission to stop the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.” —My eyebrow actually shot up on reading this. It will definitely be interesting to watch this storyline unfold.

Great job with the review!
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

The world with moments of joy rather than grieves. Nice review of a timely book.
Dreamer80
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dreamer80.html
Latest Review: How Trends Make You A Smarter Investor by Gabrielle Dahms

Post by Dreamer80 »

The transitioning between past and present is mostly very annoying, and should be dealt with care. I'm glad author took precision with it and I really love how you wrote the review!
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: I Have Proof of a Higher Power by Ioan Dirina

Post by Harty Muli »

I like a story of going back into time especially for a worthy cause as preventing the assassination of Mmartin Luther King Jr. Thanks for the informative review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

The idea is not unique, but seems indeed well developed to offer us an idea of the consequences of historical events with the classic "what if", in this case focued on social improvements that lead to social justice and the disappearance of racism. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

This book would be an interesting read for me coz I have just finished reading a book on the similar concept. Thanks for the review.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

A solution to racism that includes working together and time travel. I would like to kniw how things turned out after Manny messed up and Heath tworks out his marriage issues. Thanks for this review!
gatuguta2030
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatuguta2030.html
Latest Review: Spirit of the Season by Brian Lamont

Post by gatuguta2030 »

Sam Ibeh wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 08:55 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Civil Righteousness" by D. Francois.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The year 2020 came with many interesting events — COVID-19 was the most impactful. While the world was adjusting to the harsh realities of the pandemic, another incident occurred that received global attention — the inhumane killing of a black man (George Floyd) by a white cop. The latter event and its effect on the world make Civil Righteousness by D. Francois a timely book.

Apart from being his adopted brother, Manny Brazil shares a common passion with Dr. Heath Wright — to create a utopian world devoid of social injustice and racial discrimination. The only way they figured to accomplish this noble cause was to embark on a time travel mission to stop the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. After much deliberation, they agreed to send Manny back to two days before the assassination. The risk was analyzed and precautionary measures laid out to avoid any unforeseen consequences their clandestine mission would have on the present. However, Manny allowed his emotions to take hold of him, killing a diner owner and one of his customers in the process. This event led to an alteration in Heath's life. He turned from a devoted husband to a cheating one in 24 hours. With his marriage on the brink of collapse, Heath needed to do something to save it. Would he be able to pay the stiff price required?

Like I said earlier, Civil Righteousness is a timely book considering the momentum the Black Lives Matter movement is gathering. Our world is gradually changing as it concerns racial discrimination and social injustice. Opinions are divided between racism being a hoax and the fact that all lives should matter. However, amid the global debate, Francois presents a unique perspective of the issue through this book. Though fictional, this story gives one huge key that I find interesting — the movement to eliminate racism requires the combined efforts of both the black and white folks. This is seen in how Dr. Heath (a white character) works with Manny (a black character) to find a solution to racism. The core lesson of this book is essential if we hope to see a world where all forms of discrimination are eliminated.

The storyline of this book, though not unique, was well developed. The author paid attention to details to ensure no holes were in the plot. I followed the buildup of the story and watched it get to its climax. The journey through this book was a progressive and smooth one. The author did an excellent job of connecting the dots and not leaving me confused at any point. In addition to the details, the author provided a story that was relatable and believable. There were no ambiguous concepts with the intention of rabble-rousing the reader. Every scenario painted in the book was realistic and easy to follow.

What I liked most was the transitions in this book. The switch from the present to the past and back was seamless. I always knew which times were in play at every point in the book. I also liked how the author explained the concept of time travel without losing grip of the story. I would say that the author did thorough research before putting this book together. Ultimately, I enjoyed reading this book.

There was nothing I disliked about this book — the writing was on point, and the editing was professional. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to lovers of time travel stories. I wouldn't recommend it to teenagers due to the level of profanity I found.

Civil Righteousness
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
The review is on point.Quite interesting.
GNerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnerd.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by GNerd »

Amazing review. The book is timely indeed.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”