Official Review: One Degree by Gus Kappler

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Standor5865
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-standor5865.html
Latest Review: The 2021 Chronicles by A Glenn Rose

Official Review: One Degree by Gus Kappler

Post by Standor5865 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "One Degree" by Gus Kappler.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the historical fiction novel, One Degree, Gus Kappler details the events surrounding different incidents of strange deaths. Starting with the Vietnam War, we first encounter a Viet Cong attack on U.S troops, which leads to Private Richard Burrows sustaining severe leg injuries. His legs were saved at the 85th Evacuation Hospital, and he was making a full recovery until a sudden septic attack took his life. This was very unusual and left a lot of unanswered questions, especially considering how well Richard's health was progressing. Several other similar cases motivate a group of Vietnam Veterans to undertake the responsibility of finding out the cause of the problem. What secrets will they uncover? The answer lies in Gus Kappler's intriguing One Degree.

Gus Kappler masterfully incorporates biological science and research with some historical parts of the Vietnam War. It wasn't surprising to find out that the author served as a trauma surgeon in Vietnam, as the level of description of scenes in the jungle and hospital in Vietnam showed that he must have been close to such events in real life. This was one of my favorite aspects of the book. The story is slow-paced. While this feature was a negative feature at times, as I felt the author diverged from the story a lot and could have moved on quickly, there was enough time for me to digest characters' stories and feel what they were going through.

The impact of war on people's mental, physical, and emotional states was also evident in the story, as the author explores themes of drug abuse, alcoholism, and post-traumatic stress that readers will observe in a few characters. It was also easy to relate to the characters, and I liked that their motivations for undertaking the task of solving the major problem were well explained. Loss, guilt, and a sense of responsibility motivated some of the characters, and I was rooting for them throughout. The book also explores the corruption that can be seen at different levels of the government, even in modern society.

I also thoroughly enjoyed how the author explains the biology behind the cause of the problem, and this played a significant part in the attempt to find a solution. A lot of cellular biology is discussed, and a few other scientific terms are used, but Gus does well to include illustrations explaining some of the terms used.

With respect to the book's editing, there isn't much to complain about. I found just four minor errors throughout the text, and this gave me the impression that One Degree was well edited. I would have liked the story to be organized in chronological order throughout, as it would have made the story flow even better. This was one of the few concerns I had about the book.

All things considered, a rating of 3 out of 4 is fair. One Degree could have been more concise, but it was a fantastic read. I would recommend the book to lovers of historical fiction and mystery stories. The inclusion of profane words and a few violent scenes means that the book is not suitable for a younger audience.

One Degree
View: on Bookshelves
jerick_12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerick-12.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by jerick_12 »

Good Review. The book looks interesting and informative since the author discusses biology in the novel.
Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: A Long Dark Rainbow by Michael Tappenden

Post by Dominik_G »

I like how the author managed to write about his subject and characters in a realistic and relatable manner. Thank you for your great review!
Chickenwings00
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chickenwings00.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Chickenwings00 »

Lovers of war books will enjoy this novel. The storyline sounds exciting and well structured. The review says it all.
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I do enjoy historical fiction, and the plot of this book sounds intriguing. Thanks for the informative review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

Wow! I am already intrigued, and I would definitely want to know more about Private’s life and death.

Splendid review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Despite the complaints you expressed, this seems an intriguing historical fiction with a mystery and political elements. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
baha Ibrahim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baha-ibrahim.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by baha Ibrahim »

The writing is highly descriptive and the plot strong. It is fast-paced and it features characters that I cared about.
Thank you for your review
:tiphat: Baha :tiphat:
TADSAILS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tadsails.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by TADSAILS »

What an interesting historical fiction and I really appreciated that you observed real geniunity about the authors experience in the medical field. Nice review and would check this out.
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

This sounds like just the right amount of conspiracy I may enjoy :)

Thank you for such a thorough and inviting review :)
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

Thanks for the wonderful review. Would definitely think about reading this book one day.
JKO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jko.html
Latest Review: 7 Ways To Manage Pain With CBD by David Anthony Schroeder

Post by JKO »

What secrets will the Veteran Vietnams uncover? This book sure sounds like one that has a lot of mystery, and I recommend it to people who are interested in mystery stories. This is a good review.
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

Historical fiction is right up my alley of interest. Add mystery to the mix and I am ready to go. I like fiction that has some scientific backing which makes it relatable and easier to picture while reading. Thanks for an intriguing review!
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
Guda Lydia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guda-lydia.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Guda Lydia »

A compelling and captivating read, lots of questions to be answered. Great review!
Wy_Bertram
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wy-bertram.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Wy_Bertram »

The author's personal experience lends this a lot of credibility. Nice review. 👌

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”