Official Review: The Hidden Agenda

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amy Murdoch Coleman
Favorite Book: Circe
Currently Reading: Hannah's War
Bookshelf Size: 6988
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-murdoch-coleman.html
Latest Review: Caretaker by George Farrell

Official Review: The Hidden Agenda

Post by Amy Murdoch Coleman »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Hidden Agenda" by Ajinkya Satish Dharane.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The coronavirus outbreak of 2020 has thrown the world into a panic like no other. With everyone still seeking answers, Ajinkya Satish Dharane has created a fictional 'what-if' situation that addresses the pandemic's possible origins. Spearheading a new type of fiction, The Hidden Agenda provides a glimpse into international affairs that most of us can only dream of.

The book begins when the pandemic is just gaining traction in Canada, and people are starting to die. Rumors are spreading that China has developed a vaccine for the virus, and Canada needs the formula desperately. Dr. Emily Rogers, a scientific expert on viral diseases, and Jack Wilson, a demoted police officer, are sent on a mission to China to confront a doctor who may be able to help the Canadians develop a vaccine of their own. However, the mission was never going to be easy. The mysterious Dr. Chung is murdered in his hotel room the very day that Jack and Emily meet with him. Jack is positive that someone with dark intentions for the virus is behind the gruesome act, but can he prove it?

Because fiction featuring the coronavirus outbreak is new, the subject matter is inherently interesting. This novel looks at the pandemic from the perspective of a potentially criminal source, and the author certainly keeps the reader guessing until the end. The characters are superficially realistic, but they could have used some deeper development. The conversations feel very surface-level, so it is tough to really understand the justifications for Jack and Emily's actions.

Unfortunately, the entire book could have used another read-through before being released to the public. There are quite a few typos, but most of them are very minor. It felt almost as if the author may have been thinking faster than they were typing. I also had trouble buying into the ending of the book. Though the first three-quarters of the book is fast-paced and believable, the ending felt recklessly rushed, and the conclusion came too easily.

Due to the number of careless errors and the awkward ending, I give The Hidden Agenda a rating of 2 out of 4 stars. An editor's touch would be very beneficial to this story. There is some sparse profanity scattered about, and the only sexual undertones come from the mention of visits from a prostitute. I would recommend this book to those who are interested in the coronavirus pandemic, but only if they are able to read the story as a work of absolute fiction.

The Hidden Agenda
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

This book has an unique and an interesting plot. It's sad that the characters didn't have deeper development and that it has so many errors. But the idea is great, a fiction based on some current events. I'd like to read this book after it is edited again I think. Thanks for your honest review! Great job.
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

Because fiction featuring the coronavirus outbreak is new, the subject matter is inherently interesting.
Indeeed, I find the subject matter very intriguing. The author may have rushed the book though, and I hope they can work on a better revised version. Thanks for your insightful review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Mark woods
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Mark woods »

The book has a very great subject but was rushed through if the writer took time on the book I believe it would have been one of the best books for the year :tiphat:
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

This book brings a whole new marvelous twist to the pandemic. I really hope that it ages well and goes down in history as a transformative, revealing piece of this era.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I think this one hits too close to home for me. I work in the medical device industry and seeing the pandemic from a professional view, I just can't see myself reading fiction based on it.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

Honestly, I can't help wondering if this novel was written quickly to take advantage of the interest in the current situation with the pandemic. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

With this book, we would be able to learn a lot about the current situation. Thanks for the insightful review.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Could it be that they were trying to benefit from the current situation and therefore had to get the book to bookstores as fast as possible... ? :eusa-think:

Anyway, the idea is interesting but for me it comes too close. Maybe I can read the book some ten or so years after the pandemic is over. Maybe I would even enjoy it over the time...

Thanks for a thorough review! 😊
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Lisbeth Neverland
Currently Reading: Rivers of London
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisbeth-neverland.html
Latest Review: The Evolutionite Chronicles Book One: Dagger and Shadow Ninja by Timothy Callahan

Post by Lisbeth Neverland »

NetMassimo wrote: 19 Jul 2020, 10:38 Honestly, I can't help wondering if this novel was written quickly to take advantage of the interest in the current situation with the pandemic. Thank you for your honest review!
It might have been, but as the virus spreads, people might have a problem reading the book because it hits too close to home.

Amazing Review!
Anna_TB
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-tb.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Anna_TB »

The premise sounds interesting but, as some of the other members, I feel like the author may have rushed the publication of the book in order to be in line with current affairs. Fiction dealing with the pandemic is necessary in order to better comprehend the global situation and to gather experiencies for future generations, but maybe authors should give more thought to their writing before releasing their books to the world.
In any case, congratulations for your review!
Wy_Bertram
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wy-bertram.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Wy_Bertram »

I'll admit to having my own musings about the origins of the outbreak, and a novel about this was bound to pop up at some point, but a bit too soon perhaps?

The plot still sounds quite interesting and maybe the inherent controversy is further motivation to give this a read.

Great review. 👏
gatuguta2030
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatuguta2030.html
Latest Review: Spirit of the Season by Brian Lamont

Post by gatuguta2030 »

Mark woods wrote: 18 Jul 2020, 11:40 The book has a very great subject but was rushed through if the writer took time on the book I believe it would have been one of the best books for the year :tiphat:
I agree with you.A little more time could have made the book rank high.
jollyangel81
Currently Reading: Lady in Waiting
Bookshelf Size: 39

Post by jollyangel81 »

The writer could have done a great work. Could have taken time to perfect it and give it the justice it deserves. Overall not too bad
funmilayo_h
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funmilayo-h.html
Latest Review: Battlemind by Michael Waddington

Post by funmilayo_h »

How someone could make a story about a new and novel virus intrigues me...I'll love to read it...great review by the way

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”