Official Review: Tales From Kartli

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Official Review: Tales From Kartli

Post by ritah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tales From Kartli" by Revaz-Giorgi Arveladze.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tales from Kartli is a mythical horror novel written by an aspiring, creative author and filmmaker from Georgia. The book entails different stories revolving around old folk tales and ancient myths of the country of Georgia.

The narrative’s nine enchanting stories are bound to leave readers encompassed with feelings of shock, humor, and all-around fear. My top three include 12th of August, a tale set in a world where mercenaries have been known to cause havoc by hunting down individuals requested by anyone who paid them. Another is A Martyr of the Serpent, which is an intriguing folktale about a merchant who amassed foreign antiques that bring forth both misfortune and pleasure. Unfortunately, those susceptible to the whims of the relic would quickly find themselves in a downward trajectory of evil and gloom. And finally, Chiakokonoba - an old tale depicting a ritual that was practiced by people to ward off evil spirits from children. The story follows Eldar and his two grandchildren as they go through terrifying moments battling demons that appear as nightmares but could be more real than imagined. The narrative vividly shows their fear and courage because, as it has been said, “The only time a man can be brave is when he is afraid.” The author brilliantly depicts this through this narrative.

The short stories written in this book accomplish what the author, Revaz-Giorgi Arveladze, set out to do, which was to immerse readers into Georgian mythology and tales in a hauntingly captivating manner. The elements of suspense were a great addition, as it helped build tension and fear of the impending dangers and horrors that awaited the characters.

The narrative also featured some amazing characters that were quite believable and interesting to follow. Some stories, however, were too short and left me in a sort of limbo when I had to move on to the next story, even though the previous one felt somewhat incomplete. A good example of this would be The Cycle; it had so little to work with and felt so limited unlike some of the other stories.

In the end, it seemed the book lacked overall flow because it was so difficult to align the tales from start to finish. This is because the author would sometimes include flashbacks of a particular story from a previous tale, but, at the same time, the tales didn’t seem to correlate. As a result, it was difficult to determine whether the tales were meant to be connected or random because others seemed connected while others did not.

I rate this book a 2 out of 4 stars. This is because the lack of flow throughout the narrative made me second-guess myself as to whether there should be a flow. Additionally, there were a number of grammatical errors throughout the book, such as the frequent misuse of tenses and verbs, which slowed down the pace. Finally, a whole paragraph was also repeated twice in one of the narratives. The book would appeal to readers from all genres, especially those who don’t mind a little poetry here and there. It would especially be suited for thriller fans with a special liking to the mythological realms.

Tales From Kartli
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: A Long Dark Rainbow by Michael Tappenden

Post by Dominik_G »

I like the idea behind Tales From Kartli and I hope another round of thorough editing will help it achieve the quality I'm sure it set out to reach. Thank you for your detailed review!
jerick_12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerick-12.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by jerick_12 »

I love mythology and thriller. Since I am not that familiar with Georgian mythology the book would probably help me with their culture.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems a book for readers who like stories like a jigsaw puzzle, with the fragments creating a bigger picture. Of course, you have to like the genre, and this book seems intriguing to me under that point of view. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Wy_Bertram
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wy-bertram.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Wy_Bertram »

This sounds quite interesting. Krampus is my only experience with mythical horror and it'd be exciting to delve further into the genre. Thank you for review.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

I'd love to read this one. Thank you for your review.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

I really enjoyed learning about the concept of this book. But I think the book couldn't stand up to the expectations of the readers. Thanks for your honest review.
baha Ibrahim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baha-ibrahim.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by baha Ibrahim »

adventurous horror in it's pure form. Simply amazing read , I disliked the grammatical errors and repetitive sentence
Thak you for your reviews
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I haven't read much Georgian mythology. It's a shame that the structure of the stories wasn't well established. And if I had seen the double paragraph, I most likely would have stopped and put the book down.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
scaryeyes_25
Currently Reading: Glitter on the Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scaryeyes-25.html
Latest Review: Spoken on the Wind by Faye Westlake Newman

Post by scaryeyes_25 »

This book might be a good dip into Georgian Mythology. I sometimes prefer short but engaging stories rather than long ones especially if the author is not familiar to me yet. I might try this out but I hope the grammatical errors won't be that troublesome.
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

Short stories about folk tales and myths sounds like captivating read. What a pity the author couldn't decide if the stories were stand-alones or if they should be connected. Perhaps another round of editing would benefit this book. Thanks for the thorough review.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”