Official Review: Unraveling by E.W. Johnson M.D.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Official Review: Unraveling by E.W. Johnson M.D.

Post by Connie Otwani »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Unraveling" by E.W. Johnson M.D..]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

One of the joys that come from an author creating fiction around his/her home area or profession is an ingenious flow of narration and descriptions. It is no wonder then that E.W Johnson’s Unraveling, centered around a town physician in rural Southwest Washington, is so believably and vividly crafted. I filed away many nuggets for future play-the-doctor references. You see, for years, E.W Johnson was the town physician for a Southwest Washington rural community.

When Dr. Sean Nolan notices an upsurge in cancer-related illnesses in his patients, he decides to look deeper into statistics of the same for his county, going back a few years. What he unravels is an unsettling geographically centered area, around his neighborhood, for most cancer incidents. Propelled by his love for the community, Dr. Nolan decides to utilize his resources to get to the bottom of the phenomenon.

The fact that his wife died from cancer, a few years back, brings the need for answers even closer home. Can a simple town physician-turned-sleuth expose giant money hungry corporations determined to cover their tracks at whatever cost? What happens when murder comes knocking?

The plot is straight forward and tame - kind of a walk in a park comprising a few disconcerting sections. The author gently eases the reader into the plot through close-knit family and small-town community interactions. He successfully creates an environment where the rumor network equals the speed and efficiency of the internet. Soon enough, robust community involvement becomes the go-to solution to some of the doctor’s major challenges.

Dr. Nolan is himself a breath of fresh air – understanding, witty, and an amazing father and physician. He has a smart-comebacks streak, a mile wide. Indeed, his dry humor had me turning pages with chuckles. The comedian hat fits so smugly that the author’s attempts to portray an impatient side to him didn't make strong impressions.

E.W Johnson’s witty friendly tone in the third-person narration makes for an uncomplicated interesting read whether one is on a queue, train, or beach. I enjoyed the banter and camaraderie between colleagues, family, and friends. The protagonist and most supporting characters are well developed.

Even though the antagonist is not convincingly fleshed out, a haphazard ‘enemy’s camp’ leads to many threads and a surprising twist. Arising pertinent issues are satisfactorily concluded, yet there is room for a thread or two to be fully unraveled in the sequel waiting in the wings. To be precise, the book does not end in a cliffhanger. Yay!

The one thing I found uncomfortable was the extensive use of profanities. Granted, the F-word was mainly missing. I nonetheless found it alarming that even the good doctor’s middle school children used expletives. Ironically, it is the ‘good guys’ that propagated and perfected the vice! In my opinion, profanity wasn’t necessary for the book to be practical or believable. For this reason, I took a star from my overall rating of the book.

I can't belabor enough the detrimental use of profanity because the wit, family dynamics, and lack of sexual content would have made unraveling of this mystery a safe venture for older children.Finding a wholesome stimulating read for this group isn't always easy. The book appears to have been professionally edited. I didn’t come across a single error. I, therefore, give it a 3 out of 4 stars rating.

Unraveling is an evenly paced, engaging, and easy-to-follow read that serves those moments you don’t require a too-intense crime/murder thriller. I, therefore, recommend it to anyone looking for an enjoyable casual read. I, however, advise parental discretion for older children.

Unraveling
View: on Bookshelves
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I love mysteries with humor woven into them, and this book seems to fit the bill. It's too bad about the profanities. I can see the use of it with the criminal element, to give them a more realistic look, but it doesn't seem necessary to use it in children especially. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

I'm interested in the engaging yet straight-foward development of this book. Thank you for the descriptive review.
Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: All The Good Little Girls Keep Quiet by K. Kibbee

Post by Vic Chimezie »

Books with unpredictable and surprising twists are the best 8) Thanks for the detailed review and recommendation. Good job!
Miks_solon
Favorite Book: Inviting Muslims to Christ
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miks-solon.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Miks_solon »

I think the use of profanities were intended to shape the character's personality in the book. However, I think it's not necessary to make it excessive. Nice review!
"Sometimes we need fantasy to survive the reality"
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

It is rare to find an evenly paced, gentle read in the thriller genre. These are great for holidays where one's brain could use an easy ride. A pity about the profanity. These days it is often used, yet not often needed. Thanks for the review.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

Despite the flaws you pointed out, this seems an engaging thriller full of wit. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Honest-reviewer »

Sounds interesting. I love reading mystery and thriller novels. Thanks for your wonderful review.
Ashley-Osuna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-osuna.html
Latest Review: The Pilgrim Bride by Pilar Cerón Durán

Post by Ashley-Osuna »

I like that it contains humor, and the main character seems lovely. It is a very interesting concept and it intrigues me to know how the story unravels in the end. Thank you for the honest review!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I'm not a big fan of overusing profanities, but otherwise the book sounds promising and intriguing enough to try it :) Thank you for a great review!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: The Mothers
Bookshelf Size: 2401
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Despite the unnecessary use of profanities, this seems like a light but engaging book and, sometimes, those make for the most enjoyable reads. Thank you!
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

I find the premise of the book quite intriguing. Thank you for crafting this great review!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Prisallen wrote: 06 Aug 2020, 08:27 I love mysteries with humor woven into them, and this book seems to fit the bill. It's too bad about the profanities. I can see the use of it with the criminal element, to give them a more realistic look, but it doesn't seem necessary to use it in children especially. Thanks for your wonderful review!
True - one can argue that gangs, toughened law enforcers or rebellious teens often use profanities freely. I wonder if sailors do so as well! :eusa-think: ! But, parents, kids and good neighbors?
All the same, the book is interesting! Thanks for stopping by.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Kanda_theGreat wrote: 06 Aug 2020, 11:59 I'm interested in the engaging yet straight-foward development of this book. Thank you for the descriptive review.
That made the book charming. Thanks for stopping by!
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Vic Chimezie wrote: 06 Aug 2020, 13:42 Books with unpredictable and surprising twists are the best 8) Thanks for the detailed review and recommendation. Good job!
You are welcome! I hope you get to read the book then. Thanks for stopping by!
-Walt Disney

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”