Official Review: Fastglass by Tony Tiscareno

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Official Review: Fastglass by Tony Tiscareno

Post by Howlan »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fastglass" by Tony Tiscareno.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Fastglass by Tony Tiscareno is an action-packed fiction thriller. The plot revolves around Lance Rio, a CIA contractor who primarily transports people across the world, and gathers information. The story is set for over fifty years, covering many historical moments such as the rise of Fidel Castro in Cuba, the unification of Berlin, and the terrorism of Al-Qaeda. Lance is loved, betrayed, and scorned by people close to him. He overcomes many hardships to finally fulfill his dream of producing "FASTGLASS," which is described as a kit-plane with a fiberglass body running at high speeds crossing the barrier of sound.

The main thing I like about the book is the main character, Lance. His role is simple and easy to follow. His development as a character is remarkable. He starts as a flying instructor, and after recruited by the CIA, is part of many high-profile missions that he completes successfully. Another aspect of his personality is that after suffering a set down, he breaks down, adding depth to his character. The author shows him as a sympathetic character with a thirst for the unknown, and excellent intuition. Other than Lance, most characters are pretty average and often forgettable.

The major problem of this book is that it starts slow. It fits a lot of characters at the start. For the first ten chapters, each one introduces new characters that are hard to follow. At around eighty pages, the entire plot seems to connect. So, it is challenging for a reader to get hooked into the story from the beginning.

This novel has a lot of great action scenes with excellently choreographed air battles with fighter jets. The author has provided a detailed description of aviation. He dedicates whole chapters to flight-mechanism and how they work. The author also exhibits his spiritual knowledge, especially when Lance meets Danny in Israel, and he tries to understand his spiritual existence. The story also has a few instances of well-knit humor.

I found numerous errors while reading this book. Aside from a few minor typos, there were a few cases of improper tense and missing articles. So, it needs another round of proofreading as the story becomes difficult to read. Overall, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. Other than the typos or slow pacing, the plot is fascinating, and Lance's character impressive. The ending of the book is satisfying and does not leave any loose strings. There are no erotic scenes in this book, but there are a few instances of borderline profane language. I recommend this book to all readers interested in spy-thrillers or historical fiction involving the late twentieth century. People interested in aviation will also have a great time reading this book.

Fastglass
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I do enjoy action-packed thrillers. Thanks for this insightful review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Ashley-Osuna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-osuna.html
Latest Review: The Pilgrim Bride by Pilar Cerón Durán

Post by Ashley-Osuna »

It seems very interesting, hopefully another round of editing can correct the typos so that the readers have better experiences while reading the book. Thank you for the honest review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The City We Became
Bookshelf Size: 425
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by NetMassimo »

I'm not into historical fiction, but some of the events in the novel happened during my life. This seems an intriguing spy thriller, so I'm interested despite the insufficient proofreading. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Panfov
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Panfov »

I like action packed thrillers but not historical fiction, but thanks for your review.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Elvis Best wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 09:58 I do enjoy action-packed thrillers. Thanks for this insightful review. Good job!
I hope you like the book. Thanks for dropping by for the comment!
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Ashley-Osuna wrote: 09 Aug 2020, 02:23 It seems very interesting, hopefully another round of editing can correct the typos so that the readers have better experiences while reading the book. Thank you for the honest review!
Yeah, typos were a drag but it has a fascinating story. Thanks for dropping by to comment!
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

NetMassimo wrote: 09 Aug 2020, 10:58 I'm not into historical fiction, but some of the events in the novel happened during my life. This seems an intriguing spy thriller, so I'm interested despite the insufficient proofreading. Thank you for your great review!
Glad to know you are interested! Thanks for dropping by to comment!
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pearl Akpan »

I’m a big fan of crime thrillers so thanks for a well written review.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Pearl Akpan wrote: 20 Aug 2020, 09:12 I’m a big fan of crime thrillers so thanks for a well written review.
I am glad it is to your liking. Thanks for dropping by to comment!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”