Official Review: The Darkness at Decker Lake

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Official Review: The Darkness at Decker Lake

Post by Adedayo+23 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Darkness at Decker Lake" by Martin H. Zuckerman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Decker Lake is a mid-sized and secluded lake community, somewhere near the Canadian border. The large majority of the residents are retired senior citizens who want nothing more than to be left alone. The social activities are limited, relationships are few, and even fewer camaraderies. The elderly residents who come to live there enjoy the isolation and solitude above all else. Nevertheless, Decker Lake residents are happy, thoughtful people, and they enjoy each other’s company on the rare occasion that they do socialize. However, things are about to change.

When newcomer Harvey Paul takes over Jesse’s Tavern, the local bar/restaurant, then later succeeds in becoming the President of Decker Lake Home Owners Association, he is almost certain his run of bad luck is about to change. A longtime conman, Harvey is confident that his plans for the retirement community will be his greatest money-making scheme yet.

As elderly residents suddenly begin to move away from Decker Lake for the same retirement home in Florida, never to be heard from again, eerie darkness descends on the isolated community. Those left behind cannot shake the sense of anxiety and unease that now permeates their once-peaceful town. From whispering disembodied voices to shadowy figures skulking around the words, something is undeniably amiss.

George, a Decker Lake resident, has also noticed this strange sense of despair lurking in the community. When his partner, Mary, takes off and is never heard from again, George becomes determined to solve the mystery of what is happening in Decker Lake. Nothing prepares him for the grim discovery, or how twisted the individuals involved really are.

The Darkness at Decker Lake is a unique and enthralling mystery novel by Martin H. Zuckerman. The author’s descriptive and conversational style of writing made for a story that flowed well and was easy to read. The mystery of Decker Lake pulls you in from the start, and the unusual twists and turns added to the thrilling suspense that kept me hooked till the very end. The character development of the large and colorful cast was exceptional. They were as complex as they were deviant in one form or another, some more than others. The story was told in the third person narrative and approached from different points of view, but the pieces were pulled together quite nicely at the end.

I appreciated how the author was able to create such a sizeable, varied, and engaging cast of characters, and still manage to keep the story straight. They all had adequately detailed yet summarized backstories that further enhanced their relatability and explained their individual motives. One individual that stood out for me was Veronica. Veronica had a mild form of Asperger’s syndrome but was fully functional and extremely intelligent. Her unique ability to be hyper-focused on tasks made her an invaluable asset to Harvey’s scheme, but it would also prove to be the first step in his undoing when she unwittingly throws a wrench in his plans.

This book certainly had several highpoints. However, the editing leaves much to be desired, as it appears that the book was not professionally edited. One issue that stood out was the misuse of tenses, making it difficult to determine if an event in question had already happened or is currently taking place. Also, there was an instance where the story did not appear to follow a chronological order. It was rather distracting. Consequently, I will be rating this book 3 out of 4 stars. Nevertheless, the inelegant delivery was overshadowed by the sheer brilliance of the story.

The Darkness at Decker Lake is perfect for fans of the mystery genre, and I also think fans of dark comedy might get a kick out of this book. The originality, intelligence, and execution of the plot are applaudable. While there were no intimate scenes or excessive use of strong language to speak of, there were a few graphic depictions of violence that make the book unsuitable for children. If this book is what Zuckerman’s first entry into the world of thrillers and mystery looks like, I cannot wait to see what else he has to offer.

The Darkness at Decker Lake
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin
jardenjarden
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jardenjarden.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by jardenjarden »

It's exciting to hear that despite the flaws of this book, the storyline itself is able to overshadow them. I can definitely appreciate when an author offers up a significant cast size and manages to not overwhelm the reader. Your review was brilliantly done, I will definitely be adding this book to my list. Thanks for your review!
Doziesixtus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doziesixtus.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Doziesixtus »

I really like it when authors dedicate time to develop their characters. It makes me feel connected to the person.
Awesome review. Can't wait for more
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems an intense thriller well constructed with well developed characters. With another round of proofreading it could be excellent. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
QuirkyPenn
Favorite Book: Winter of the World
Currently Reading: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quirkypenn.html
Latest Review: Underdog Thinking by Atul Vir

Post by QuirkyPenn »

Ooh spooky, this sounds like an entertaining book to read. Pity about the errors, but I am sure that can be fixed. Thanks for an exceptional review.
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

This sounds like an original and intriguing story indeed! The author has clearly done a good job with his character building. Such a pity when a great story is pulled down by poor editing! Thanks for the well-written and honest review.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pearl Akpan »

I’m a big fan of crime thrillers so thanks for a well written review.
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis-seres-rodriguez.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

This book seems awesome. I'll make sure to check it out! Great review!
EmmaJantz5
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by EmmaJantz5 »

The book seems to have got me intrigued and can't wait to read it
Mukukamm30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mukukamm30.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Mukukamm30 »

The book sounds interesting but it's a pity that it needs to go for another round of editing. Nice and interesting review.
Menace Crypto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: Pandemic (The U.S. Pandemic in India) by Dieter Gartelmann

Post by Menace Crypto »

the books sounds intriguing, but the flow of the story deviating does sound distracting. Nevertheless, I think I'll try it out. Thanks for the review.
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

A book with a really interesting and unique plot on this genre! Your review was descriptive and understandable. Thank you for this great work! :)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”