Official Review: The Shingle Weavers Picnic by P.C.Smith

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Shingle Weavers Picnic by P.C.Smith

Post by Maria Esposito »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Shingle Weavers Picnic" by P.C.Smith.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Annie Elizabeth Jordan, affectionately nicknamed Cricket, loses her father to World War II when she is just a little girl. In the midst of all the sadness that her family feels for the loss of her dad, the only things that Cricket is looking forward to are the arrival of her baby brother, Max, and her summer trip to Everett, Washington, where her grandparents live. Cricket does not know that her summer of childhood games and fun will be abruptly interrupted by a terrible event: the murder of her thirteen-year-old friend, Mary Frances. If that was not enough for little Cricket to go through, her beloved grandfather, a retired judge who is determined to serve justice to Mary Frances and her family, has become the target of hateful actions. Cricket knows something that her grandfather is not aware of, but will she have the courage to speak up? Who murdered Mary Frances?

The first thing that drew me to The Shingle Weavers Picnic is the cover, which portrays an idyllic childhood scene. The sense of childhood adventures, excitement, and curiosity exuded by the cover is excellently reflected in the narration and the characters. The reader is invited to join Cricket and her group of friends as they play in the streets, tell each other secrets, and explore their surroundings. P.C. Smith’s exquisite narration brings out many of the peculiar nuances that characterize childhood: the desire for adventure, the lightheartedness of summer, and the willingness to fit in. However, in the midst of this childhood innocence, the dark shadows of death, abuse, violence, and World War II haunt Cricket and her friends, as they are exposed to events that they do not have the tools to comprehend. The author does not spare gruesome details, but she narrates the events with graceful precision, like you would to a child that you do not want to upset but you cannot lie to, as truthfully and as delicately as possible.

The narration flows exquisitely as the events unfold, and P.C. Smith is able to recount them from the perspectives of different characters. The brutal event of Mary Frances’s murder is reconstructed through Cricket’s observations, her grandfather’s methodical research and commitment to justice, and the gossip that the people of Everett weave into the story. While I usually do not enjoy reading stories with multiple perspectives, the author did a wonderful job of being faithful to the storyline while exploring different characters and perspectives. We are introduced to a strict but caring sheriff, a gossipy old lady, a child who has been accused unjustly, a judge who faces violent backlash for his involvement in a thorny case, a tenacious old lady who survived domestic abuse, and a bubbly teenager who will be punished for her willingness to explore herself and the world. P.C. Smith does not limit herself to illustrating each character’s perspective about the murder: she situates each character into their own personal story while showing that, in spite of their differences, a single event can intertwine their lives in the most unexpected ways.

I have nothing even remotely negative to note about The Shingle Weavers Picnic. I only found one minor error related to a missing period, which makes me deduce that the book has been excellently edited. There are a few profanities, but they have not been overused. The writing flows flawlessly, and I had a hard time putting the book down. Even the descriptions of food, scenery, and everyday life are so enthralling that they kept me glued to the pages.

My rating for The Shingle Weavers Picnic by P.C. Smith is a perfect 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this novel to readers who enjoy engrossing storylines and historical fiction set in the United States during World War II.

The Shingle Weavers Picnic
View: on Bookshelves
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

You have picked my interest with this book! Thank you for your great review :)
emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by emidio125 »

I think you exploited very well the book in your review. Congratulations!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Crime thriller, historical fiction, multi-character point of view. There's a lot in this novel, that seems a page-turner. Thank you for your fantastic review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 08 Nov 2020, 06:06 You have picked my interest with this book! Thank you for your great review :)
Thank you for your sweet comment, Raluca!
emidio125 wrote: 08 Nov 2020, 07:05 I think you exploited very well the book in your review. Congratulations!
Thank you so much for your comment!
NetMassimo wrote: 08 Nov 2020, 08:40 Crime thriller, historical fiction, multi-character point of view. There's a lot in this novel, that seems a page-turner. Thank you for your fantastic review!
I could not put the book down. Thank you so much for your kind comment!
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I like books where the narrations flow seamlessly. I am glad to learn that this title's got that. Thanks for the insightful review and recommendation.
namuyong
Currently Reading: Primal Encounter
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by namuyong »

I have loved the depth of the story, it is interesting and with this kind of review, am lured, just amaizing is the word.
Nice job
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pearl Akpan »

Sounds like indepth thriller story. would definitely love to give it a read. Thank you for a well written review
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I couldn't agree more with your feelings about the cover! It is beautiful and inspires warm and pleasant memories of family fun and feeling safe. Your comments make it seem that the story is just as satisfying as the cover! This looks fascinating and has me intrigued. Great writing! Thanks.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds very intriguing! I love good descriptions in the book, so I would give this one a try for sure :) Thanks for a great review, Maria!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”