Official Review: Money Faucet by Joe Calderwood

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Official Review: Money Faucet by Joe Calderwood

Post by Adedayo+23 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Money Faucet" by Joe Calderwood.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Clint Kennedy is a thrill-seeking self-admitted criminal, and he has made his peace with it. Who wouldn't with a daily income of over four hundred thousand dollars? Clint prides himself in being as honest and meticulous as possible in his dealings with his business associates, South American drug lords he knows better than to cross. He understands that job security is an unrealistic concept in his line of work. Still, Clint is filthy rich, living the dream, and would not have it any other way.

What was meant to be a short trip away from his home base in Mexico to attend to a family emergency soon turns into an involuntary vacation when Clint's boss, drug kingpin Pablo Navarro, instructs him to stay put in Miami till further notice. Something big is happening south of the border, and Pablo did not want him in town. Clint soon discovers why. A bloody intercartel war has broken out, and cartel bosses are dropping like flies. What does this mean for Clint? Will his connection to some of those cartels make him a target too? What about Pablo? Is he marked for death as well, or is he the one behind it all?

Clint is also facing problems of his own in Miami - from suddenly becoming responsible for a dying old man and his sizeable estate, to planning a discreet yet extravagant wake for a former employee, to being blackmailed by a dirty lawyer. Then there's his incarcerated and loathsome stepbrother, who is hell-bent on destroying Clint and the family business after embezzling from the family bank. All Clint wants is to go back to his home in Mexico, preferably in one piece. With everything he is currently facing and the nasty surprises yet to follow, his run of bad luck is only just beginning.

Money Faucet is the second book in The Clint Kennedy Crime series by Joe Calderwood. It is an intriguing story with a captivating first chapter meant to reel in the reader in preparation for the thrilling ride to come. The highly suspenseful narrative flowed at a fast pace with startling and exciting twists and turns. The author made ample use of descriptive elements that not only brought the story to life but also elevated its cinematic appeal. The character development was exceptional, with complex personalities whose clear motives made their actions relatable.

I found Clint Kennedy quite interesting. He is a generally likable person, but he is also a morally grey character. He is in bed with nefarious individuals who place little to no value on human life. He aids in, and benefits from, their illegal venture and loses no sleep over lives lost while doing business as long as it does not directly affect him. Clint is also a devoted son, a loyal brother, and a good friend. His warm familial relationship with his surrogate parents, as well as his generous philanthropic side, added depth to both his character and the story.

The only critique I have is regarding the writing. I noticed that the author favored long-winded sentences, and these were a bit confusing to read from time to time. Nevertheless, this did not detract from the quality of the story. Money Faucet was a fun, well-written, and enthralling novel that I look forward to seeing on the big screen sometime soon. I gladly rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

The near flawless editing leads me to believe that it was professionally edited. Despite having themes of crime, drugs, and other forms of illegal activities, the book contained no depiction of gratuitous violence, which was a plus. However, the themes, including a bit of strong language, makes the book unsuitable for impressionable young children. This is the perfect book for fans of fast-paced crime thrillers looking for a quick read to pass the time.

Money Faucet
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Wow--this sounds intriguing! I wonder how Clint will stay safe, despite the intercartel war going on. This definitely sounds like a book that I could read in one sitting. Thanks for the thrilling review.
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

The main character sounds interesting. Thank you for introducing this book.
Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Pluma »

Clint sounds like a unique and well-developed main character, and I would be interested to see where his struggles take him. I always enjoy books with morally grey main characters, it makes the story interesting. This seems like a gripping and entertaining read. Thanks for the great review!
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

Clint seems to be always in a handful having to juggle with a lot of problems, most of which he brought on himself. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

This sounds like just a book for me! I love stories that feature strong character development. And all the action added on top... Sounds perfect!

Thank you for such an informative and exquisitely written review!
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pearl Akpan »

i’m encouraged to check this book out from the knowledge of the strong character development.
Thank you for an informative review
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Clint Kennedy sounds like quite a character who loved living life on the edge! I like a fast-paced thriller that keeps you turning the pages wanting more. However, I have a difficult time with a lot of strong language. Realistically, that is a part of society these days, but for me, it ruins the narrative! Thanks for the excellent review!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
buttercake20+_Modupe Bello
Currently Reading: The Miller's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buttercake20-modupe-bello.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by buttercake20+_Modupe Bello »

This review has made my mind restless. I want to know how Clint will end up, whether he'll be hunted or not, whether he'll continue with the cartel or not... i want to know it all. I feel there is a lot of goodness to be delivered in this books. Great job on the review.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

"a quick read to pass the time" - I am always on the hunt for this type of novel when I travel because then I don't mind flight delays.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

This book is not my speed, a thriller about a con-man and drug kingpin isn't something that I enjoy reading. Great review though.
Sagarsk
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sagarsk »

Master story teller Joe Calderwood immerses the reader in every detail. I didn't want this to end and I'm eager to learn how this continues in the last segment
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

This sounds action-packed. The anti-hero seems likable in spite of his flaws. Thanks for your review.
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

Your review makes this book sound really interesting. I like books with captivating first chapters, to immediately feel immersed in the book.
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

The book is a crime thriller with an intriguing and captivating story.
This is really a must read.
Congratulations for Botd 🎉
You wrote a great review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”