Official Review: Crimson at Cape May by Randy Overbeck

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Official Review: Crimson at Cape May by Randy Overbeck

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Crimson at Cape May" by Randy Overbeck.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

While trying to get his old job back, Darrell Henshaw is working at a football camp in Cape May, New Jersey. One day, he is horrified when the ghost of a young woman appears to him wanting help. Considering all the danger and problems he had when he tried to help a ghost before, Darrell has no interest in helping another one. Yet it quickly becomes apparent that she is not going to leave him alone and that helping her may also save others.

When Darrell’s girlfriend, Erin, comes for a visit, they meet teenage runaway Cassie. She has also seen the spirit, who she calls the Haunted Bride. The three of them set out to discover the woman’s identity and the cause of her death and what her death may have to do with some missing teenage girls. As they dig deeper, they discover dark secrets and people who will do anything to keep them hidden.

Crimson at Cape May by Randy Overbeck is the second installment in the Haunted Shore Mystery series, but it can be read as a stand-alone book. However, there were some events that were left unresolved from the first book that are dealt with in this story. I haven't read the first book, but the author gave enough background information that I never felt confused. Those sections just didn’t interest me as much as the rest of the story.

My favorite thing about this book was the descriptive writing style, which helped to immerse me in the story. The description of Darrell’s first encounter with the ghost in chapter one drew me in immediately. The way the author described things made it easy for me to imagine what was happening. I particularly liked how detailed the descriptions of places were, like the beach and the buildings and homes in Cape May.

I liked all of the characters, and Cassie and Darrell were particularly well written. Darrell’s struggles with his OCD and worries about the potential dangers of helping the Haunted Bride made him a very sympathetic character. Most of the story is told from his perspective, so the reader is able to get to know him well. Cassie also evoked a lot of sympathy as she is at first mistrustful, with good reason, and there is a natural progression as she becomes more trusting of Darrell and Erin and is then willing to give others a chance at the end of the book. I liked that there were some chapters from her point of view because the reader is also able to get to know her better and connect with her.

The thing I liked the least about this story was the way the mystery was laid out. There was never anything in the story to send me in a different direction, like a red herring, so it didn’t take long for me to figure out the main things. I just wasn’t able to tell who exactly was involved in which parts. Honestly, one part of it was so obvious that I actually became annoyed with the characters during one scene where they laid out all the facts they had found so far and none of them figured it out.

Overall, despite the flaws that I mentioned, I did like this book and the characters and look forward to seeing what happens next in the series. Therefore, I have decided to rate this book 3 stars out of 4. Although I stopped keeping track at ten errors, there weren't many more than that, and considering the book is over 400 pages long, I do think that it was professionally edited. I recommend this book to anyone who likes mysteries and stories with ghosts. As a warning, there are mentions of abuse, sex trafficking, and coerced sex. There isn’t much detail given about any of these topics, but I felt that they warranted a warning.

Crimson at Cape May
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems a good supernatural thriller despite the flaws you pointed out. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

NetMassimo wrote: 16 Nov 2020, 12:04 This seems a good supernatural thriller despite the flaws you pointed out. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Yes, I definitely enjoyed it despite the problems. Thanks for reading and commenting!
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I hope the author does the needful to address the books editing mishaps. Thanks for the insightful review and recommendation.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Saint Bruno wrote: 18 Nov 2020, 07:18 I hope the author does the needful to address the books editing mishaps. Thanks for the insightful review and recommendation.
Thanks for reading and commenting!
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

This story seems eerie. I wonder how many times I'd get frightened whenever a ghost meets up with me. Lol. Nice review.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Ayindelaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayindelaw.html
Latest Review: The Raven's Trail (Book 1) by Liz D. Marx

Post by Ayindelaw »

Hey MBrooks,
I don't just like supernatural-themed stories, I love them! This story excites me so much that I'd like to congratulate you on this review (smiles). I already like the book without reading it.
Innovations are usually the result of desperate times
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

They say the souls of those who die a horrible death wander until they find justice. If true, there must be millions of them hovering about. I wonder what this teenage bride's ghost wants from Darrell.
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your detailed review. This looks like an interesting mystery story with well-developed characters. I'm curious about how the book will unfold.
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

Supernatural elements are always fun to read. This plot seems interesting. I can give this a try. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

A supernatural part is very appealing :D I'd love to check this one out. Thanks for a great review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I love supernatural books and this one seems intriguing. Thanks for a well-written and informative review!
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Your thoughts on Cassie and Darrell's characterization make it easier to connect to a story that would normally turn me off as I would fear being kept up at night.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Sanju Lali
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

The story about a haunted bride appears to be a paranormal thriller to me. Your insightful review shows that this book will be quite captivating one.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I'm intrigued by the premise! Thank you for this recommendation!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”