Official Review: A Woman Scorned by Marilee Brothers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Official Review: A Woman Scorned by Marilee Brothers

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Woman Scorned" by Marilee Brothers.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Woman Scorned by Marilee Brothers is a crime story about a murder that occurs on the Fairway to Heaven golf course. The golf course has been run by the McKenna family for four generations. At one of their monthly board meetings chaired by Mickey Warren, Reverend Farley Faraday, and his wife Faith interrupt and give them a signed petition to have the golf course renamed. Faraday and Faith are leaders of the Last Bus Stop to Salvation Church who find the name offensive. The next morning Mickey is found dead on the 8th hole of the golf course. Autopsy results show that he was poisoned. Mickey was disliked by many people in the community, including the board members, his ex-wife, his current wife, his girlfriend, the Faradays, and others. Sheriff Riley O’Connor, who had moved to Vista Valley about a year ago, asks Libby to help with the murder investigation since she knows most of the people in the community. Then another board member and golf course employee, Tristan, is found dead in his car from an apparent insulin overdose. Then Libby receives a death threat. Who is responsible?

The author did a fantastic job of describing locations and the personalities of the different characters. I felt like I was standing there and knew each of them personally. The author revealed some life lessons as well. Tristan’s dad had a lot of guilt after his son’s death because he had kicked him out of their house after they had had a falling out. His grief was much harder to deal with because of this. You never know when a loved one is going to die. Sofia, who had a fear of blood and gore, and Libby, who was claustrophobic, had to learn to overcome their fears. These are not easy accomplishments. Fair-weathered friends are not true friends because they are only there for you when things are going well.

The best thing I liked about this book was the golf course’s motto “You have to go through hell to get to heaven.” This motto referred to the layout of the golf course, but it explains a lot about life sometimes too. There was nothing I really disliked about the book. I had a hard time putting the book down because I wanted to know who the murderer was.

I recommend this book to almost anyone who likes a good crime story. There are some mild profanity and sexual content that is more innuendo and not graphic or exotic. However, this makes the book inappropriate for young teenagers and younger children. There is no religious content. One set of neighbors is a gay couple, but they don’t do anything that would be offensive to anyone. In another instance, one of the women in a fit of anger towards men states she should become a lesbian. Although readers may need to be aware of this, I don’t believe it will be offensive.

The book was well-written and the chapters flowed smoothly. I found only two small errors in the entire book. I believe this book has been edited professionally and gladly give it 4 out of 4 stars.

A Woman Scorned
View: on Bookshelves
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Luluwa79
Favorite Book: Peter and the Parachute
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luluwa79.html
Latest Review: Peter and the Parachute by Nicola Ridgeway and James Manning

Post by Luluwa79 »

What a nice read... I would like to know who the serial murder is.
Thanks for the insightful review.
Always seek God in all your dealings and He will help you find the right path.
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Drianie »

I like that each of the characters stands out in their own way, which complements the author's excellent writing. I enjoyed reading your thorough review!
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

The name of the golf course does seem a little strange, sort of like the places in the book Pilgrims Progress.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems an engaging crime thriller thanks to an interesting plot and well-developed characters. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”