Official Review: The LadyKillers War

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Guda Lydia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guda-lydia.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Official Review: The LadyKillers War

Post by Guda Lydia »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The LadyKillers War" by Peter Goldman, with Nicola Malatesta, PI.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Max Christian is a retired NYPD homicide detective who is currently living out his retirement as a Private Investigator. His wife, Meridew Hadley, is a newly elected Congresswoman who is among the new wave of women leaders sweeping across America. She is self-reliant, level-headed, and stubborn, and even though Max supports her, he is still worried and unhappy about the physical and emotional distance that comes with the job. Before Meridew could officially settle in her new position as Congresswoman, a series of murders start occurring that seem to target women leaders and their families. Detective Tina Falcone immediately contacts Max, informing him of an emerging hate group, LadyKillers Liberation Army, whose aim is to ensure women remain in their proper place as lesser beings.

Things turn personal for Max when his wife becomes the primary target of the group due to her status and political position. It instantly becomes a race to save her life at whatever cost. He enlists the help of fellow PI, Nick Testa, who has no qualms about being liberal with the law, his tech-savvy partner Ahab and Ray Peterson as Miredew’s bodyguard. They make it their mission to uncover the mystery behind the killings and the masterminds. As their investigations heat up, they run into more twists and puzzles that give rise to more questions; what is the accurate composition of the group? What is their real agenda? And what is their tie to the Russian KGB? Additionally, they have to figure out the legitimacy of the targets, and if they all are victims.

Peter Goldman and Nicola Malatesta exquisitely describe the various scenes and settings, making it easy to visualize and get engrossed in the depictions. The character introduction and development are also in-depth and vivid, creating suspense and constant interest in them and the story. The LadyKillers War hooks the reader right from the introduction and keeps one glued to the pages since the revelations of the mysteries are in small tantalizing details. The suspense, tension, humor, and sarcasm from characters like Nick and Ahab make the book engaging and captivating.

My favorite aspect of the read is how the characters develop individually then merge as the story unfolds, effectively keeping the reader in anticipation as to who they are and their ultimate contribution and involvement in the plot. Additionally, the chapter headings are creative and witty, offering a glimpse of what the chapter entails. There is nothing to dislike about the novel; I would, however, suggest the chapter headings to be in bold, have larger fonts, and follow a uniform arrangement. This will increase the book’s visual appeal and reading experience.

The LadyKillers War is professionally edited; I found only a few grammatical and spelling errors that do not disrupt the flow of the story. The book is, however, suitable for mature and less sensitive readers due to the strong language used and some instances of brutal descriptions. The novel’s simple language and conversations further add to the interactive nature of the book, making it a fast and easy read. I, therefore, give it a deserved rating of 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to anyone looking for a comprehensive and deeply satisfying crime thriller novel.

The LadyKillers War
View: on Bookshelves
Unique Ego
Favorite Book: The Tales of Little Lady M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Unique Ego »

Lady Killers Liberation Army?!?! This book already sounds controversial, which kojd of puts it right up my alley. I was joyful at the wave of women leaders, and then disheartened by the murders carried out by this evil group. This'll make for a bumpy but interesting ride. And I'll like to see the complete arc of Max's involvement.
Guda Lydia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guda-lydia.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Guda Lydia »

Unique Ego wrote: 28 Nov 2020, 03:11 Lady Killers Liberation Army?!?! This book already sounds controversial, which kojd of puts it right up my alley. I was joyful at the wave of women leaders, and then disheartened by the murders carried out by this evil group. This'll make for a bumpy but interesting ride. And I'll like to see the complete arc of Max's involvement.
Hope you enjoy it as much as I did, it is a very captivating book full of surprises.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging crime thriller with a fast pace and well-developed characters that keep the readers' attention until the end. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

Wow, a ladykillers army that wants to ensure that women remain in their proper place?! That would cause a huge riot nowadays. Thanks for your thorough review of this book.
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Post by Dimi1 »

I find the twist plot quite interesting when the main character is getting personally involved due to his wife. A fine review indeed.
pkjancheva532
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pkjancheva532.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by pkjancheva532 »

This book grabbed me from the title. The description of the book was also something that made me want to read this book. Women coming to power and their people trying to protect them from lesser men. Thanks for the review.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

This seems intense. I wonder why the KGB is involved? There is more to this than an ordinary crime or serial killer. Thanks for your review.
Kasun Perera
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasun-perera.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Post by Kasun Perera »

It sounds like a great crime thriller novel with sort of a unique idea related to women's position in the society. Congratulations on being BOTD
JstRayo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by JstRayo »

If only this was a movie! The motive behind the Ladykillers army is simply obnoxious. Wanting women to be at the beck and call of men for issues related to sex without having a say over their bodies. Although this is only fiction, they are still certain men who go by this disgusting ideology.
Kudos Peter, for a book well written. Leaves you on the edge of your seats!
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Quite an intriguing storyline—women in powerful roles being targeted by a hate group because of their positions. Especially with the goal of ensuring women stay in their rightful position of being a lesser person than men! Not realistic in today's society, but still an original plot! Thanks for the excellent review!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

With the connection to Russia, this book almost has a cold war feel to it.
ankushavhad
Favorite Book: Gardening With Guns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ankushavhad.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by ankushavhad »

A crime thriller story about a private investigator, Max Christian, and his wife, Meridew Hadley, a newly positioned congresswoman. A hate group, LadyKillers Liberation Army., poses a great threat on the political front, what Max to handle. Good review, Guda LM. Thanks.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your review. This book sounds interesting with the concept of targeting women with high social status. LadyKillers Liberation Army seems to be an extremist group with an outdated mindset. I hope Max and his companions will be able to stop this group before they reach his wife.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

This depicts a group of men who want to keep women at a lower position than men, and they have gone to the extreme of killing socially active women. Sounds interesting. Congratulations on being BOTD

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”