Official Review: Along Came COVID by Tony Scott, MD

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Official Review: Along Came COVID by Tony Scott, MD

Post by Rosemary Wright »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Along Came COVID" by Tony Scott, MD.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Along Came COVID, by Tony Scott, MD, follows Faith Pernitelli, an obstetrics and gynecology resident, who just relocated to Albuquerque from Lubbock for a change. She is married to Brian, a physician also. She starts her first year of residency in the "Maternal-Fetal Medicine division of the department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University of New Mexico" and tries to settle down to work, giving it her best shot. Meanwhile, she has been having marriage problems due to Brian's unfaithfulness and abusive behavior. Unknowingly to her, Brian has been abusing drugs.

After a short while, Faith and Brian get divorced. Faith falls in love with Josh, who is also a resident, and gets pregnant soon after they start a relationship. Afterwards, a pregnant patient is diagnosed with COVID-19 in her medical centre and then others.

Alas, one day, after midnight, Faith wakes up feeling ill with a high body temperature, and she is taken to hospital. Has she contracted the above disease? If so, will she survive it and get back to Josh? Will Brian succumb to pressure from his superiors to go off drugs and go to rehab to get clean?

Inspired by true events, Along Came COVID was written at the onset of the coronavirus pandemic. It's a fascinating read that unveils the struggles and victories of an obstetrics and gynecology team. It tells about their relationships with and how they handled their patients. In addition, the novel is easy to read and has a good plot, full of intriguing events inside and outside the medical center.

The book is enlightening, giving insight into COVID-19 and its preventive measures. While unveiling how the virus affects its victims and the residual effects on them, it reveals the heartaches of patients' relatives, their losses, and so forth. It highlights those that are especially vulnerable to the disease. Moreover, it tells about the relationship between drug abuse and depression, presenting means of recovery.

The book is engaging, except that some parts of it seem rushed. For example, it'd have been better if the author added more details about Faith and Josh's romance before she became pregnant to make it more realistic. Besides, it contains some medical procedures and terms that I couldn't wrap my head around. I suggest that the author should add a glossary to give their meanings.

Again, since the narration consists of cases of COVID-19 which involve some patients dying, it might not be advisable for sensitive people who have lost loved ones to coronavirus to read the book.

Altogether, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I couldn't rate it lower since it's very interesting and eye-opening. I enjoyed reading about the characters. The author provided enough information about them, and they're relatable. Most of them are intelligent and fun, particularly Josh. Besides, the novel was well edited, though I noticed a couple of grammar errors, which are not distracting. I recommend it to medical fiction fans and anyone who wants to know more about COVID-19.

Along Came COVID
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 510
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

I had a chance to review this one, but I opted out due to this topic being sensitive for me. However, I did enjoy your thorough review. Glad that you liked it! :)
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Heidadela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidadela.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Heidadela »

This is a great highlight of the horrors of 2020 due to Covid19. It's encouraging that an author put it in writing so that we have something to remember the Covid19 period. Thank you for a great review.
Petruschka1
Currently Reading: India in Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-petruschka1.html
Latest Review: Watchwords (black and white) by Philip Neal Gatter

Post by Petruschka1 »

This novel might be of interest to anybody wishing to learn more about Covid-19 and its effects. One of the main characters con-
tracting the disease adds to the tension. I look forward to reading this book.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

This seems interesting and caught my attention. Thanks for the great review
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

I am getting a bit "covid tired", unfortunately. So many books are published lately, all somehow related to the Covid pandemic, that I feel that they are all taking advantage of the situation. Your review has been very informative, though.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

With us all being a year into COVID, this seems like a really interesting read, particularly because of the perspectives of those who work in the medical field. I love that there’s a well developed plot to go with it. I’ll definitely be giving this book a try
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems an interesting example of medical fiction, but it's too close to our reality for me to read it right now. Regardless, thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
aodonnell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aodonnell.html
Latest Review: Cristos Rising by B.T. Findley

Post by aodonnell »

It sounds like an interesting book. Like a combination of hospital drama shows that have been really popular, but made more relatable through real life inspiration.
Does the author's personal opinions and thoughts surrounding COVID and the handling of the pandemic seem to come through in the writing? With such intense lines drawn around it, I'm curious whether the author comes across as prescriptive at all.
Arpita Choudhari
Currently Reading: 11 Before 12
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Arpita Choudhari »

This book is all about the covid phase and how people were stressed annoyed and depressed in this period of time. Many people will relate with this book and will like to read it .
prernarajput123
Favorite Book: The Girl On The Train
Currently Reading: Becoming Michelle Obama
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prernarajput123.html
Latest Review: Always Before Me by John Servant

Post by prernarajput123 »

We all know that COVID-19 has affected the whole world. Getting an opportunity to read about the dreadful pandemic in a novel and to get the insights of the disease and to know how the frontline workers cope with it is intriguing. The review is very well written without giving any spoilers and going to give this book a read.
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

Thanks for the great review, I'm definitely going to have to read this book. I love medical drama and obviously it would be great to get more insight on covid. Managing relationships in such a high pace career is also interesting to me.
Hunter Tester
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Silent Patient
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hunter-tester.html
Latest Review: Whale of Wonder by Marie-Paule Mahoney

Post by Hunter Tester »

Sounds intriguing! Good review. I might be inclined to read it, but maybe once Covid isn’t still going on.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

It's a good story which has all the recent activities. It will be a good read for future. Great review!
C3cilia
Currently Reading: My "enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c3cilia.html
Latest Review: Divine Simplicity Day 3...Unity In The Community by Yasher Echad El

Post by C3cilia »

The title aroused my curiosity since it deals with the current events.I was inspired by the story since it is a representative of all that happened to many people. I WOULD recommend this book to everyone. Thanks for the great review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”