Official Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Official Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Mermaid Broker" by Sue Hinkin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The ocean was like Isabella Abbott’s home. As a marine biologist, some of its creatures were her friends. But not at Piscem Auratus—Fish of Gold – a former facility with a big aquarium tank used for ocean research in secret governmental projects. At the facility, she wakes up near a tortured young woman. Isabella’s panic had already grabbed me by now as she realizes that she’s trapped in the web of human trafficking. In five days, she will perform the main role of a mermaid, satisfying the sexual fetishes of an audience of elite clientele. Afterward, she is destined to be tossed in the tank to become a meal for “the golden, luminescent great white shark” and black piranhas.

The Mermaid Broker, by Sue Hinkin, is the fourth installment of The Vega & Middleton Novels. As a stand-alone book, the story unveils Vega and Middleton’s efforts in finding Isabella before it’s too late. Lucy Vega is a news photographer, and Beatrice Middleton is a TV reporter. They team-up with Detective MacIntosh Wu, aiming to save Isabella’s life and capture the head of this international sex tourism – an “Esther Williams wannabe” – while also disclosing the horrifying modern story of the sex trafficking of young girls.

Realistic descriptions build tension between the engaging twists and turns of this fast-paced novel. The characters’ active dialogue allowed me to be involved in the scenes and discover the protagonists’ strong personalities; the book is a page-turner that kept me with bated breath as the closing remarks approached. Exploring the theme of human trafficking arced on a mermaphile fetish strengthens the unforgettable and solid plot structure. The story brings to life a glimpse of the inhuman, sadistic conditions in which young girls are exploited for the sordid entertainment of a criminal elite as well as their intense satisfaction in dominating the lives of others.

Another fascinating and frightening component incorporated into the story’s intricate net was the depiction of illegal activities on the dark web. The short chapters made the story flow quickly as the action moved forward, unveiling this gripping thriller. The only distress I had was the fact that I missed the series’ previous books – Deadly Focus, Low Country Blood, and The Burn Patient, which are now added to my further reading list. A few minor editorial errors occurred along the way but nothing too distracting. Overall, the text shined through with clean and clear content.

While references to rape are mentioned no details are exposed. The infrequent use of profane language, in addition to some murder scenes, might keep some readers away. Four out of four stars are earned by Sue Hinkin’s fourth novel A Vega and Middleton Mystery series – A Mermaid Broker. Fans of thrillers will enjoy this book the most.

The Mermaid Broker
View: on Bookshelves
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
Sakura5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakura5.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sakura5 »

It seems an intriguing and original saga, I might add it to my "to read" list too! Nice review!
MarveeAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marveeaman.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by MarveeAman »

Even the idea of a mermaid is enough for me to add this book to my to-read list. Good review. Thanks
Last edited by MarveeAman on 22 Mar 2021, 15:33, edited 1 time in total.
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

Your review makes me want to check out this book. It sounds like a very interesting story. Mermaids and the dark web sounds like an exciting ride.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

What an intense story! I hope Vega and Middleton rescue Isabella and stop that “Esther Williams wannabe.” Thank you for a great review. :balloon:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Marcel Cantu »

This seems like a very intriguing story. I enjoyed reading your review. Great work.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I think I may be too sensitive for this read, but I enjoyed your review. Thanks!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
LeighBee
Currently Reading: Mistborn
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leighbee.html
Latest Review: To Own Two Suns by F. E. Tabor

Post by LeighBee »

Thank you for your review. I haven't read a good thriller in a long time. This one sounds like an interesting one if it deals with rescuing a young woman from predators, both human and animal.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intense thriller about a terrible type of criminal activity that's still far too common. This makes me curious about the other novels of this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

The mermaid in the title didn't tell that it isn't a happy story. A thriller definitely. Illegal, dark web, criminal, elite, its definitely not to be missed. Thanks for this great review.
Holly Fleming
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holly-fleming.html
Latest Review: Beyond by Ruth Mitchell

Post by Holly Fleming »

I'm adding The Mermaid Broker to my bookshelf! It sounds like it has a very engaging plot. Thank you for sharing your insight.
KanaSmriti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanasmriti.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior: Acolyte of Truth by Antoine Bonner

Post by KanaSmriti »

I loved the story. It has adventure and many fun elements. Now, I really want to read it. Thank you.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

The book has a rarely intriguing plot. Thanks for the review, the book definitely has my attention.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

This book's plot has definitely caught my interest. Thanks for the great review!
IFRA BURHAN
Favorite Book: The Silent Patient
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifra-burhan.html
Latest Review: The Unborn by Tayma Tameem

Post by IFRA BURHAN »

:oops: My TBR list is just growing and growing, this is is now another add-on to that.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”