Official Review: The Flight of the Schimmerplotz

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Official Review: The Flight of the Schimmerplotz

Post by Verna Coy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Flight of the Schimmerplotz" by Charles Salter.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Flight of the Schimmerplotz by Charles Salter is an adventure that takes readers on a thrilling, imaginative tale involving science, theory, and villains with what seem to be super-hero powers. Jack Rigalto and his buddy, Brex, deal with all of the troubles that secret agents have to handle. When Jack's daughter and wife, both named Sara, are taken hostage, Jack has to choose. Does he try to make a deal or go in shooting? Will the villains with the diabolical plan for the world win? To find out, you must read this book!

This epic adventure is written in today's unique, unforgettable, and fast-moving times while aligning closely with the current style used in movies and films. The inclusion of important new military branches, such as The United States Space Force, adds authenticity and reality to what would otherwise seem an unrealistic and total fantasy story.

The locations that this novel takes the story to add intrigue and adventure in an other-worldly way. The addition of separate dimensions and timelines gives the novel depth and keeps the plot interesting. I liked how the book uses New York's Battery Park or Iraq's Euphrates River to add diversity to its destinations.

The character development of this book is well done. I could feel the camaraderie between Jack and his genius buddy, Brex. There were times that it seemed like Brex went overboard explaining how much brighter he was than others. It began to get repetitive in a few places and could cause some readers to dislike his character. For a sidekick, that's perhaps not the best trait.

What I liked and enjoyed most about the book was how alive the scenes and situations become for the reader. The descriptions are vivid and bold. I could almost smell the coffee or taste the food mentioned within the plot. That writing style made this book come to life in a way that will appeal to many readers. The author's dry humor comes through in much of the dialogue and keeps the reader turning the pages.

This book was fun, and I enjoyed the storyline. I found no errors, so I have to say it is exceptionally edited. The only negative was perhaps the scientific terminology sprinkled liberally throughout the text that supports the action, but at the same time, slows the reader's pace. The addition of characters such as "The Iceman" was reminiscent of others of the same name. This coincidence caused the story to lose some of the originality that it seemed to showcase initially. For these reasons, I rate this book with 3 out of 4 stars.

The concepts and visualizations of the scientific theories reveal a well-researched and inventive writer in Charles Salter. I know that readers who appreciate those elements will love this novel. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good super-hero tale. There are some violent scenes and sexual innuendo in this book, so readers not into that may want to avoid this novel.

The Flight of the Schimmerplotz
View: on Bookshelves
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Love your review! At first, I thought it sounded like the book might be hard to follow because of all the action and vastness as far as setting, but you made me want to read this one when you said the descriptions are engrossing.
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
LeighBee
Currently Reading: Mistborn
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leighbee.html
Latest Review: To Own Two Suns by F. E. Tabor

Post by LeighBee »

Thank you for your comprehensive review. I love it when authors make an effort in researching the concepts they include in their books, so this sounds like it would be an interesting read for me.
Verna Coy

Post by Verna Coy »

SamSim wrote: 23 Mar 2021, 13:22 Love your review! At first, I thought it sounded like the book might be hard to follow because of all the action and vastness as far as setting, but you made me want to read this one when you said the descriptions are engrossing.
Thank yu for your comments! I, too, enjoy getting 'into' a book. Have a great day!
Verna Coy

Post by Verna Coy »

LeighBee wrote: 23 Mar 2021, 14:58 Thank you for your comprehensive review. I love it when authors make an effort in researching the concepts they include in their books, so this sounds like it would be an interesting read for me.
I agree. I well-researched book is a better book. Thanks for your comments!
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

A big-mouthed sidekick, I wonder if he'd judiciously execute his duties. Nice review tho
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
irumva divin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by irumva divin »

thank you for you review as science fiction and science theory ,movie lover i highly enjoy the story hope to read full book very soon
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Thank you for the review! I like how there are scientific theories as well. That makes it even better.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Alheotuci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alheotuci.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by Alheotuci »

Thanks for a detailed review. This sounds like an exciting story.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Writing for the Vialins
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Post by NetMassimo »

Despite the flaws you pointed out, this seems like an engaging action thriller, and I don't mind some science. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Verna Coy

Post by Verna Coy »

Eutoc wrote: 23 Mar 2021, 23:09 A big-mouthed sidekick, I wonder if he'd judiciously execute his duties. Nice review tho
Thanks for your comments!
Verna Coy

Post by Verna Coy »

irumva divin wrote: 24 Mar 2021, 04:29 thank you for you review as science fiction and science theory ,movie lover i highly enjoy the story hope to read full book very soon
That sounds great, hope you enjoy the book! Thanks for your comments!
Verna Coy

Post by Verna Coy »

RayRuff wrote: 24 Mar 2021, 06:12 Thank you for the review! I like how there are scientific theories as well. That makes it even better.
I agree, the addition of scientific theories adds interest. Thanks for your comments!
Verna Coy

Post by Verna Coy »

Alheotuci wrote: 25 Mar 2021, 16:25 Thanks for a detailed review. This sounds like an exciting story.
Thanks for your comments!
Verna Coy

Post by Verna Coy »

NetMassimo wrote: 25 Mar 2021, 17:07 Despite the flaws you pointed out, this seems like an engaging action thriller, and I don't mind some science. Thank you for your great review!
Yes, it is an engaging book, and the science helps. Thanks for your comments!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”