Official Review: Low Flying by John Reynolds

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Official Review: Low Flying by John Reynolds

Post by NetMassimo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Low Flying" by John Reynolds.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Low Flying by John Reynolds is a crime thriller set in New Zealand. Matt Bullock is a university student in Auckland who's taking flying lessons. He brings his girlfriend Fleur to the aeroclub, where his flying instructor Jason Collins hits on her. Matt sees that, and a fistfight starts between the two men, who must be separated by other people. Enraged, Matt asks his father to find some dirt on Jason. His father turns to Vladimir Zhukov, a Russian who came to New Zealand using forged papers and runs a gang involved in various criminal activities.

When Vladimir Zhukov discovers that Jason Collins is smuggling medical drugs from Australia, he sees an opportunity to expand his own illegal activities. Zhukov is a ruthless man who thinks he can make Jason an offer he can't refuse. Things get heated when Jason isn't willing to accept Zhukov's demands. Fleur, who had dumped Matt favoring Jason, gets caught in the middle of the clash between Jason and Zhukov.

Flying lovers will be delighted by this novel, as flying is central in the plot, not only for Matt's flying lessons at the beginning but because it's an important part of the whole plot. For example, an aircraft is used to smuggle medical drugs from Australia to New Zealand.

This is the kind of story that starts with an event that seems even trivial, but then the situation escalates in unexpected ways. The characters make choices that have consequences they didn't expect. A fight over a woman leads to the involvement of Vladimir Zhukov, who makes things dangerous for everyone.

There are a number of positive elements in this novel. The author develops the important characters very well, giving them their backstories that show why they act in certain ways. There's a chapter that tells the story of Vladimir Zhukov growing up in the then USSR, fighting in Afghanistan after the Soviet invasion, and moving to New Zealand using forged papers. There are many twists in the plot that are cleverly built using the characters' motives and behaviors with consistency. The growing danger present in the novel and the twists kept my attention until the end. There's a lot to like in this novel while there's nothing I did not like.

There are some sexual references and various violent moments, but the author never gets into details. In my opinion, that makes the novel suitable for young adults. I'm happy to report that this book is exceptionally well edited, as I found no errors. Low Flying is a crime thriller I found engaging for its well-developed characters and its twists in a story that flows with a good pacing, so I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. If you're looking for an intriguing crime thriller, this one is a must-read, particularly if you love flying.

Low Flying
View: on Bookshelves
Ciao :)
Massimo
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I love New Zealand and crime thrillers, so this one is very interesting. Your engaging review makes me what to read it now! Thank you for your recommendation!
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

The flying instructions part has interested me. I have never read a book on this topic. Twists and turns to keep me interested is a bonus. I will definitely check this out. Thanks for a new recommendation.
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

shravsi wrote: 08 Apr 2021, 06:04 The flying instructions part has interested me. I have never read a book on this topic. Twists and turns to keep me interested is a bonus. I will definitely check this out. Thanks for a new recommendation.
Flying is important in the book beyond the lessons. Thank you for commenting!
Massimo
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Very interesting. I know a few people who LOVE planes and the idea of flying. I know they aren't much for reading, but maybe they would enjoy something like this? Great review as always :D
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

Not a book I would choose to read, but your review has been thorough and informative!
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

RayRuff wrote: 08 Apr 2021, 12:03 Very interesting. I know a few people who LOVE planes and the idea of flying. I know they aren't much for reading, but maybe they would enjoy something like this? Great review as always :D
The flying element might help those people get into the whole story, so it's worth a try. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Yvonne Monique wrote: 08 Apr 2021, 13:10 Not a book I would choose to read, but your review has been thorough and informative!
In the end, it's a matter of taste. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Marcel Cantu »

I love crime thrillers and this seems like a well written one! Thank you for your engaging review, I enjoyed it.
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Marcel Cantu wrote: 09 Apr 2021, 07:47 I love crime thrillers and this seems like a well written one! Thank you for your engaging review, I enjoyed it.
Yes, I found it well written indeed. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
Rwill0988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 499
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwill0988.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by Rwill0988 »

This book sounds amazing and I can't wait to read it. I know nothing about flying and you mentioned it is an important part of the story. Will this hamper my understanding of the book? Thanks for the great review.
“Give me a man or woman who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting companion. Give me a man or woman who has read perhaps three and you give me a very dangerous enemy indeed.” ~ The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Rwill0988 wrote: 09 Apr 2021, 09:25 This book sounds amazing and I can't wait to read it. I know nothing about flying and you mentioned it is an important part of the story. Will this hamper my understanding of the book? Thanks for the great review.
There are no technicalities concerning aircraft piloting, only aircraft flights, so that's not a problem. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

This sounds really good. Your review persuaded me to give it a try. Thanks
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Suzer6440 xyz wrote: 09 Apr 2021, 13:07 This sounds really good. Your review persuaded me to give it a try. Thanks
Have fun, and thank you for commenting!
Massimo
Alheotuci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alheotuci.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by Alheotuci »

This seems like an intriguing story. I don’t know a lot about aircraft and flying, but it doesn’t hurt to try. From reading your review, this seems like a book I would enjoy reading. Thanks a well-written review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”