Official Review: The Summer of 1957 by Judith E. Powell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Official Review: The Summer of 1957 by Judith E. Powell

Post by Jackie Holycross »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Summer of 1957" by Judith E. Powell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Summer of 1957 by Judith E. Powell demonstrates how people can be unexpectedly confronted by their past, no matter how deeply it is buried. The main character, Penelope, was sexually abused as a child. She moved away and did her best to leave the incident in her past. Then she receives a letter from the abuser’s granddaughter, Elizabeth, asking for help in solving the mystery behind the man’s death.

Penelope and Elizabeth are drawn into a web of secrets as they look to the past. Elizabeth is at first disbelieving and later horrified as she is confronted with the actions of her grandfather. Penelope learns that there is so much more to her own story when she discovers and reads her mother’s journal. She was not the only victim, and the man even tried to find her when she left town. The story reveals some surprising details that will change Elizabeth’s life forever when her grandmother finally confesses what she knows about her husband’s death.

This one hundred forty-two-page book is a quick read, but it is full of interesting characters and unexpected twists. It has a great theme of facing the past and healing its wounds. It also confronts the idea of how to decide when the past needs to be left alone. I appreciated that she only went into details on the abuse incident once in the book. It was not rehashed repeatedly. I also thoroughly enjoyed the local color that the author included with her descriptions. I felt like I was walking the streets of Dayton, Ohio, myself.

My only criticism is that the actual reading of the journal dragged a bit. The information was important, but the character reads it all at once, and it gets into telling rather than showing. I thought the entries were important, but they could have been broken up in the plot.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is a well-written, emotional story. The reader is drawn to the two women and feels their distress. I was not expecting the plot twist involving some secret family connections. It definitely added to the story. It is well-edited, with only a few errors. I recommend it to anyone who likes a bit of a mystery and a tale of overcoming adversity. However, this is an adult storyline with the topics of sexual assault and murder. It also contains a medium amount of profanity, but not anything that doesn’t fit with the storyline. Some readers will want to skip it for those reasons. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and hope the author writes more like it.

The Summer of 1957
View: on Bookshelves
MarveeAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marveeaman.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by MarveeAman »

It is a very short book for such an intriguing story! but still, I want to add this to my shelf. Good review.
Jackie Holycross

MarveeAman wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 14:30 It is a very short book for such an intriguing story! but still, I want to add this to my shelf. Good review.
You will enjoy it. Thanks for the comment.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

Wow, there’s so much to fit into such a short book! It sounds truly intriguing and emotional. Thanks for the great review!
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

This looks amazing. Your review was very helpful. I like the content about facing the past and healing wounds! I’m putting this on my shelf but wish it wasn’t so short.
GoodLuck ES
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodluck-es.html
Latest Review: Always Before Me by John Servant

Post by GoodLuck ES »

If it was within my power to stop a thing in the world, it'd be sexual abuse. Look how it's changed the lives of two women negatively. I'd love to find out how Penelope and Elizabeth fared at the end.

Interesting review.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

When past comes back after so long, the wounds are fresh and you cannot forget it. The story line is somewhat new to me. Thanks for you review.
Wildflowertheorist
Currently Reading: Rise of the Savior
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wildflowertheorist.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Wildflowertheorist »

Does the plot twist include them being long lost siblings?
I'm only guessing based on some movies I've watched
"When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jackie Holycross

Crescentine wrote: 25 Apr 2021, 21:50 Does the plot twist include them being long lost siblings?
I'm only guessing based on some movies I've watched
Good guess, but no. It does involve family relations though. It was interesting.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a terrific novel that addresses some tough subjects through the protagonists' stories. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Usually I avoid reading such books, but this one sounds quite engaging thanks to the well-developed characters and authenticity :) Thank you for a great review!
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

This sounds like a good read. I like the theme both encourages facing the past and healing wounds and that sometimes the way to do that is to leave the past alone. The twists and turns sound engaging as well. Thank you for a lovely review!
Jackie Holycross

Mwatu wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 01:17 This sounds like a good read. I like the theme both encourages facing the past and healing wounds and that sometimes the way to do that is to leave the past alone. The twists and turns sound engaging as well. Thank you for a lovely review!
I also like stories of people overcoming tragedy. Thanks for the comment.
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

I can't imagine how difficult it must be for Penelope to have to help her abuser's grandmother. Thank you for the lovely review.
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”