Official Review: Broken Inn by A.W. Baldwin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 515
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: A Reckoning of Wolves by Judy Higgins

Official Review: Broken Inn by A.W. Baldwin

Post by Mutai Marshal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Broken Inn" by A.W. Baldwin.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Would you consider an externship program far away from home? Carol convinces Hailey to secure an opportunity in Utah, a place near national parks like Arches and Canyonlands.

Before attending an interview with Mr. Martineau, Hailey went on a bike riding expedition and wandered off past the Colorado River. She had taken the road less traveled, and it had gotten downright spooky. She witnessed a man being murdered in cold blood while she was refocusing her binoculars. She was torn between reporting the incident to Mr. Martineau or the authorities. The following day, Hailey met her interviewer at the Red Rock Sentinel, where she was introduced to Mr. Burke, a manager of the soon-to-be reopened Broken Inn. Martineau asks Hailey to write an article focusing on Broken Inn. The exposition must incorporate the jobs that the facility will create during construction and also the benefits it will bring forth for the hospitality sector. Despite the introduction, Hailey has a hunch that Burke was responsible for the murder she had witnessed in the desert. Was she making a terrible mistake by leaving her home to fulfill her dreams? Elsewhere, Relic finds himself in the company of construction workers not far away from the old inn. What is his role in the canyons?

I loved most the fast-paced nature of Broken Inn by A.W. Baldwin. It does not dally in its progress. Right from the beginning, the author invested his time and energy in the real action. This lack of ‘sideshows’ made it easy to grasp the information relayed by this masterpiece. Baldwin spiced up this book with suspense. While this made me anxious at times, it got me glued to the writings for a couple of hours. Broken Inn deploys a spectrum of vivid descriptions. I could picture how the canyons quickly filled up with water and how Relic was swept away by the deluge. My favorite scene was how Relic, Hailey, and Ash contrived plans to get away from their assailants. My interest in ecosystem preservation made me to laud the efforts of most of the characters. However, there are certain aspects left out in this novel.

Baldwin did not invest in character development. I could hardly connect with any of the characters since their feelings were shallowly portrayed. It would have been fair for the author to provide a brief background for Relic due to his critical role in the story. Again, the font used for the chapters and the rest of the body was consistent. Using a different font for the subheadings would have made the book more presentable.

I deduct a point and rate this book three out of four stars based on the negative reasons. I recommend it to lovers of crime thrillers and mystery enthusiasts. Lastly, I presume this book was exceptionally edited since I did not notice any grammatical errors.

Broken Inn
View: on Bookshelves
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

That's a hunch that is scary and if true can put Hailey's life at risk. Great Review!
GoodLuck ES
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodluck-es.html
Latest Review: Always Before Me by John Servant

Post by GoodLuck ES »

Interesting storyline. I'd really want to find out more about Relic's role in the canyons. Great review.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

I can’t wait to read about all the twists. I love suspense and your review has me hooked!
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

The storyline is quite interesting. New jobs and witnessing a murder are quite the full plate for anyone. Thank you for this review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a thriller that has a well-constructed plot but needs more concerning its characters to be excellent. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

As a plot-oriented reader, I might enjoy reading this fast-paced novel. I'm not a fan of gore, though. I wonder how Relic plays a huge role in the story. Thanks for your review.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an interesting fast-paced crime fiction thriller highlighting mystery, adventure, murder, truth, investigation, and justice. The book is temporarily discounted on Amazon Kindle and has a well-written OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD selection.
tarafarah7
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1427
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Today's BOTD is a fast-paced, action-packed crime thriller that's filled with mystery and suspense! The descriptions and detailed scenes are sure to pull readers in right from the start and keep them hooked through to the last page! Sounds like a must-read for fans of the genre!! Thank you so much for your review and keep up the great work! :-)
Pandora10
Favorite Book: Remembering Christmas
Currently Reading: The Road to Management
Bookshelf Size: 116

Post by Pandora10 »

The plot of the novel seems good and the narrative moves along at a good pace. Pity about the lack of character development, though. Thanks for a good review on this book.
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

This sounds like a page turner for sure! I live a crime novel that can keep me turning the pages in anticipation of what will happen next! Thanks for the great review!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Latifah Quinn
Currently Reading: Out of Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-latifah-quinn.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by Latifah Quinn »

In a foreign place, unfamiliar people and witnessing a murder, that's already got me hooked. I love mystery and suspense so I'll go for it. Good review.
Oye Timothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oye-timothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Oye Timothy »

Perhaps, the author should find a way to fix Relic's character development. It would be a book a kid could read too.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 743
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Post by Bertha Jackson »

A crime thriller full of adventure, suspense, and mystery is the type of book that I have trouble putting down. I am curious as to who the murder victim is. Thank you for your review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

Does Relic escape from this harrowing experience? I am looking forward to reading this book despite the character development. Thank you for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”