Official Review: The Odds of Maybe

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Official Review: The Odds of Maybe

Post by Beatus »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Odds of Maybe" by William Ingram (pen name: William Evelyn).]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In 1971, Sydney, Australia, was a volatile place to live. The Odds of Maybe: Where the Penny Falls by William Evelyn opens up with a short bio of Quinn Quinlan, the protagonist. Quinn is a card dealer and an illegal bookmaker in the streets of Sydney. After witnessing a murder, Quinn became a target because he made eye contact with the culprit. The moment another double murder happened, Quinn became desperate. The killer is definitely after him. He can't take any chances, and he has to do something to save himself.

However, before he could wrap his mind around his situation, an armed assailant visits his apartment. Furthermore, apart from being hunted by murderers, Quinn is also falling in love. How then is he going to get out of the mess? Will he win the heart of the love of his life? This book is remarkable in the way it's structured. Brief chapters with depth and narrated to perfection. I loved how the introduction of the characters and the buildup were done. The funny nicknames and the stories behind each made me crack up. Each moniker felt like a cloth designed to perfectly fit the owner in terms of character, body structure, and soul.

The story is easy to follow because the author is very good with words, and his conversational style gives the book a unique taste. I liked the structure of the book because it complements the sequence of events. From a trick shot at a snooker table to a marriage proposal, the author built such lovely scenery around them I felt like I was somewhere in the vicinity. Furthermore, the language made a lot of sense, and the author was keen enough not to overuse expletives despite the environment and the kind of people involved.

I encountered so many errors, and because of that, I believe the author did not engage professionals to edit the book. I also discovered one event that was to happen in the past but was placed in the future. These were the book's only downsides I found. I loved the fact that the author threw in some beautiful and unique romantic relationships and a strong sense of belonging among friends and colleagues. The groups of friends and co-workers are so closely bonded, resembling a typical family. I really enjoyed the jokes that seemed to spring out of nowhere and left me with a smile that I wasn't aware of.

I encountered nothing that I disliked about the book, and I think this book is suitable for any reader interested in gambling life, the excitement of the nightlife, and the dangers that come with it. There are violent and gruesome acts that may upset readers who don't like such things. Therefore, my advice to younger readers and haters of violence is to skip this book. Therefore, I rate The Odds of Maybe: Where the Penny Falls by William Evelyn 3 out of 4 stars.

The Odds of Maybe
View: on Bookshelves
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

I’m glad the author could give such vivid descriptions to create a whole atmosphere. It’s unfortunate there are so many errors because it sounds like you really liked the book. Thanks for the great review
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Romance is not my thing but the thriller part seems engaging, also thanks to the style. I hope the author does another round of proofreading to make the novel excellent. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

It is great that the title of the book perfectly matches its content. Also, I like that the characters are well designed.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”