Official Review: Gambled Dreams by Jim Sanderson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Official Review: Gambled Dreams by Jim Sanderson

Post by Mwatu »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Gambled Dreams" by Jim Sanderson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gambled Dreams by Jim Sanderson is a fictional tale that follows the lives of Colton Parker, a bouncer for a gambler and loan shark, and several others in Odessa, West Texas. The tale's timeline is from the 1980s onwards. The town experiences an oil boom, and drinking and sex work is rampant. Amid the celebrations, Danny Fowler, a gay man from a wealthy family, is found dead in a ditch. Mina Fowler, Danny’s mother, uses her influence and power to stop the investigation into her son’s murder. She wants her son’s queer lifestyle kept hush. She, however, wants justice and hires Colton Parker and Bullet Price, a friend to Danny and a retired sex worker, to track down the killers. The book follows the investigation by Colton, Price and their team, and the effects Colton’s choices and those of his circle affect his family and later on his son Mando’s family.

I enjoyed the meticulous development of the book. I followed the different well-developed characters with ease as the story progressed. I felt the frustration Colton experienced over his lack of choice. He had to do as told. I felt for Mando as he tried to bond with his mostly absent father and as Lionel observed more precautions as he was a black man in West Texas in the 80s. He would get it harder than Colton for just being involved if things went wrong. I felt joined to the characters, and their experiences tugged at my emotions. While the action was not fast-paced, Jim weaves in suspense and sometimes humour into the story. I also sympathized with the fact that as the story unfolds, even after making strides in the right direction, the characters seemed to come full circle and end up where they started.

At first, I felt the book was slow, with not much suspense or action for a crime story. Additionally, I initially felt parts of the story were incomplete. The author, however, ties them up using flashbacks or by providing the needed context later on in the book. The book also picked up soon enough, and I no longer had anything to dislike. The book seems professionally edited, as I only detected a few errors.

I rate this book 4 out of 4. Jim Sanderson does a good job developing a good storyline with well-developed characters. I loved reading his work, and there was very little for me to dislike.

I recommend this book to mature audiences that enjoy crime stories. The book has several profanities, erotic content and detailed scenes of violence. It is, therefore, not appropriate for younger audiences or those sensitive to these themes.

Gambled Dreams
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kanchan Sharma
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Kanchan Sharma »

A clear and candid review. I would love to check it myself.
Peace Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-odii.html
Latest Review: Justin's Quest by Winsome Board

Post by Peace Odii »

This sounds like a historical fiction. Great job.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your interesting review. This book seems to address many sensitive topics from the 80s, such as homosexuality or racism. Mrs. Fowler using money to hush her son's secret is also believable, since homosexuality was considered a shame or even a crime back then.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

This sounds quite intriguing and the characters sound multi-dimensional with their own motivations. I hope they can bring justice to Danny. Thanks for the great review
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Post by Dimi1 »

It's good that the characters seem developed despite the slow pace of the book. Great review, great insight!
Durgeshwari Dolas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-durgeshwari-dolas.html
Latest Review: Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders by Brian E. Forschner

Post by Durgeshwari Dolas »

Very descriptive and interesting review. Would love to give the story a go.
“We don’t need a list of rights and wrongs, tables of dos and don’ts: We need books, time, and silence. Thou shalt not is soon forgotten, but Once upon a time lasts forever.” – Philip Pullman
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I'm glad that the suspense picked up in the book as you went along. It sounds like a book I would enjoy. Excellent review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a crime thriller that becomes intense as the story unfolds, sometimes even brutal. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

This seems like an interesting read, but a heartbreaking one at the same time. Thank you for the detailed review!
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

Kanchan Sharma wrote: 16 May 2021, 05:29 A clear and candid review. I would love to check it myself.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I hope you love the book!
Piece Nkem wrote: 16 May 2021, 06:54 This sounds like a historical fiction. Great job.
Thank you for stopping by!
Sou Hi wrote: 16 May 2021, 20:21 Thanks for your interesting review. This book seems to address many sensitive topics from the 80s, such as homosexuality or racism. Mrs. Fowler using money to hush her son's secret is also believable, since homosexuality was considered a shame or even a crime back then.
Yes, it does. Thank you for reading my review! :D
Booklover Becca wrote: 17 May 2021, 10:57 This sounds quite intriguing and the characters sound multi-dimensional with their own motivations. I hope they can bring justice to Danny. Thanks for the great review
They give a good attempt at bringing justice to Danny. However, their means are questionable. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
Dimi1 wrote: 17 May 2021, 12:20 It's good that the characters seem developed despite the slow pace of the book. Great review, great insight!
Thank you very much for stopping by!
Durgeshwari Dolas wrote: 18 May 2021, 13:09 Very descriptive and interesting review. Would love to give the story a go.
I hope you enjoy the read. Thank you for reading through!
Prisallen wrote: 18 May 2021, 18:48 I'm glad that the suspense picked up in the book as you went along. It sounds like a book I would enjoy. Excellent review!
It was quite the pick-me-up when the action kicked in. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
NetMassimo wrote: 20 May 2021, 06:36 This seems like a crime thriller that becomes intense as the story unfolds, sometimes even brutal. Thank you for your great review!
Thank you for reading through!
smolbird wrote: 21 May 2021, 00:10 This seems like an interesting read, but a heartbreaking one at the same time. Thank you for the detailed review!
Thank you for stopping by!
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

Incredible review, thanks for the recommendation.
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 489
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

It seems like there are some controversial topics in this book. But the story sounds entertaining. Flashbacks can be a useful technique for authors to provide some background information in the plot.

Thank you for a thorough review.
:techie-reference:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”