Official Review: Father's Day Part II by Gary Kyriazi

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Official Review: Father's Day Part II by Gary Kyriazi

Post by LinaMueller »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Father's Day Part II" by Gary Kyriazi.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Father's Day Part II by Gary Kyriazi is categorized as C/T/M/H. The plot takes place in a small town in California called La Sangre. The story indeed takes place in the 1980s, but the reader will be amazed by two things. First, the pace of events is mind-boggling for a small town as life there should be boring and monotonous. The second aspect is that the city is absurdly conservative even though it is located in the most liberal state in the USA. The environment portrayed reminded me of the Netflix movie The Devil All The Time.

It is impossible to name a protagonist, but several characters can be mentioned, including a pastor, a psychiatrist, a woman victim of incest, and a couple writing a book about the place. There is an intense religious fanaticism. There are many false Christians who are more stereotyped than Molière's characters. As in the first book, murders on Father's Day will leave the reader curious to discover who the criminal is.

This work has its merits, and the author managed to do something that is not easy. First and foremost, I must stress that the character development is superb. Gary Kyriazi managed to create three-dimensional characters masterfully. I don't know his educational background, but if he doesn't have a degree in psychology, he has read many books on the subject. It's amazing how realistic the various characters are. Many traumatized characters were victims of incest or had relationship problems with their relatives. Only someone very talented would achieve similar performance. Besides, the book is a real page-turner. I couldn't stop reading it. There are some subjective grammatical errors, but overall the book is professionally edited.

On the downside, I would say that the book has problems because it was written from multiple characters' perspectives. It is not advised for a book to have more than 5 POVs as a general rule of thumb. The author managed to develop all the characters, but the sudden change was confusing in some parts of the book. The main problem was that the author changed the perspective without a chapter break.

As explained in the previous paragraph, I had to deduct one star from the final score. That's why I rate Father's Day Part II three out of four stars. Let there be no mistake: the author is gifted and did a fantastic job. Unfortunately, the task he imposed himself was very challenging. Creating a book with so many POVs is exceptionally complicated, even for writers who have decades of experience. Even so, after another round of editing, it will deserve the perfect score. I recommend this book to anyone who likes suspense. There is an excessive number of swear words, and that is why children under the age of 12 should stay away.

Father's Day Part II
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Kenna Ridzi
Currently Reading: Iron Gold
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenna-ridzi.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Kenna Ridzi »

I've always been intrigued by the subject of psychology. I definitely agree that authors should take caution when writing in different perspectives to prevent confusion for the reader and keep them interested. Great review!
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Wow! Thank you for sharing. Great review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

Despite a large number of points of view, this seems like an intriguing novel, though the story sometimes seems quite brutal. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

This sounds like it’s be intriguing to read coming from various perspectives. Thanks for the great review
Buk Nerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buk-nerd.html
Latest Review: Ribzkniks by Y M Georges

Post by Buk Nerd »

Developing complicated characters and multiple POVs convincingly is one of the marks of a gifted writer. Splendid review.
"Literature is the most agreeable way of ignoring life." - Fernando Pessoa :techie-studyinggray:
k_madhu_jha
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-madhu-jha.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by k_madhu_jha »

What an interesting review it was. Seems like an intriguing plot..would love to read this soon.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”