Official Review: Jokerman by David Magee

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Official Review: Jokerman by David Magee

Post by NetMassimo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Jokerman" by David Magee.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jokerman by David Magee is a crime thriller set in New York City. The body of a girl is discovered bearing the marks of a brutal murder. Police Lieutenant Art Gardiner fears this is not an isolated case, especially when the Medical Examiner confirms the murder's ritualistic nature. The situation starts escalating when the killer starts contacting newspapers to explain that he's punishing immoral girls.

When another girl's body is found bearing the same marks of the brutal ritual, Lieutenant Gardiner and his partner, Detective Gina Garcia, know that they're looking for a serial killer. Even in New York, such brutal murders are a big deal. The pressure on the police department grows very quickly, as even the city Mayor feels the need to voice his concerns for a possible killing spree. The killer contacts Lieutenant Gardiner personally to taunt him.

Lieutenant Art Gardiner is a veteran cop in his early 50s, the kind of cop who saw it all only to see something even worse when a foreign student is found dead. There are some descriptions of the mutilations inflicted on the victim that are enough for readers to understand the killer's brutality. David Magee doesn't go into more details than needed but it's clear from the beginning that this is a novel for adult readers.

My only complaint about the novel is that Art Gardiner is a bit of a cliché. He fancies his beautiful partner Gina Garcia but he's been mourning his wife's death for several years. Very soon in the story, it's clear that there's some tragic story behind the woman's death that still makes Art suffer and, as a consequence, makes him always cranky too. All of this makes his behavior and his personal story's developments quite predictable.

On the bright side, David Magee makes good use of Art Gardiner's inner demons during his investigation. This case quickly becomes personal for him when the killer starts taunting him and keeps killing girls. Introspection isn't the main feature of this novel, still, the author digs into both Art and the killer's minds showing how they deal with their problems. Art is attracted to his partner Gina Garcia, who is much younger than him, but still thinks about his dead wife. The killer claims he's on a moral crusade, and his psychological development shows his problems in dealing with women.

This is a novel in which you can feel the tension. The difficult investigation and the killer taunting Art Gardiner quickly get under his skin making him frustrated and therefore crankier than ever. Even if the action is limited by the fact that the story is above all about examining evidence and questioning persons of interest, there's an intensity connected to the urge of stopping the killer. The investigation offers a number of twists that can help in keeping the readers' attention.

This book needs some more proofreading, as there are many errors, especially punctuation errors. They didn't detract from my enjoyment but I have to take a star from my rating, as there are more than 10 of them. The story is suspenseful and engaging despite the predictability in some of Art Gardiner's behaviors. For these reasons, I rate this novel 3 out of 4 stars. Even not considering the inclusion of some sex and the common use of profanity, the nature of the murders, with a really brutal ritual, makes it suitable for adult readers who are not impressionable or triggered by extreme physical abuse. I recommend Jokerman to readers who like crime thrillers with an important psychological element.

Jokerman
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ciao :)
Massimo
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

I’m really interested in the psychological part of this book, like why the killer feels he has to kill “immoral” girls and what immoral means to him. This seems like a very dark book, but I might give it a try sometime. Thanks for the review!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

First the Joker then comes Jokerman. Sounds quite like a movie to be. Thank you for a great review! Art fancies Gina but still mourns his dead wife. Curious to know why.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like a book that I would enjoy as I like crime dramas and suspenseful books. I hope the author corrects the errors soon, so it can reach its potential. Thanks for an excellent review!
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

maggi3 wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 13:23 I’m really interested in the psychological part of this book, like why the killer feels he has to kill “immoral” girls and what immoral means to him. This seems like a very dark book, but I might give it a try sometime. Thanks for the review!
The story is dark indeed, so you need to be in the right mood. Thank you for commenting!
Massimo
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Kavita Shah wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 13:51 First the Joker then comes Jokerman. Sounds quite like a movie to be. Thank you for a great review! Art fancies Gina but still mourns his dead wife. Curious to know why.
A movie adaptation might be great if done well. You really need to read the novel to discover the protagonists' secrets. :wink: Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Prisallen wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 14:21 This sounds like a book that I would enjoy as I like crime dramas and suspenseful books. I hope the author corrects the errors soon, so it can reach its potential. Thanks for an excellent review!
Some "polishing" would be good even if I noticed some errors only because I was paying attention. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

As soon as I saw crime thrilled,I became interested in the book. And like you said, one can feel the tension. Thanks for the terrific review and recommendation.
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Saint Bruno wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 17:08 As soon as I saw crime thrilled,I became interested in the book. And like you said, one can feel the tension. Thanks for the terrific review and recommendation.
This seems a novel suitable for your taste. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: My Spouse, my friend by Ingiete Oyama

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

The killer sounds like a nutcase that belongs in prison. How can two wrongs make a right? Thanks for a detailed review!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Nqobile771 wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 03:00 The killer sounds like a nutcase that belongs in prison. How can two wrongs make a right? Thanks for a detailed review!
The killer is indeed a mental case, with all the consequences. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
Kim Jek
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kim-jek.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kim Jek »

This is truly a suspenseful crime story. It is not for me though. I appreciate your honest review.
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Kim Jek wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 15:13 This is truly a suspenseful crime story. It is not for me though. I appreciate your honest review.
In the end, it's a matter of taste. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
Mercy Osmond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-osmond.html
Latest Review: The Trials of Uwe, Parts I, II and III by Steven L Masia

Post by Mercy Osmond »

Wow seems like a very interesting story that will keep a reader on the edge, to know what might unfold next. Thanks for the captivating review.
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Mercy Osmond wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 17:03 Wow seems like a very interesting story that will keep a reader on the edge, to know what might unfold next. Thanks for the captivating review.
Yes, when you think you know how the plot will unfold there's an unexpected twist. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”