Official Review: Lakebed by Chris Coppel

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Official Review: Lakebed by Chris Coppel

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lakebed" by Chris Coppel.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Receiving an invitation from For Paws Animal Sanctuary (FPAS) because of his book is the highlight of Ryan's writing career to date. By the time he and his wife, Kris, visit the sanctuary, they are sold on the idea of moving to Lakebed Canyon to become a part of the charity organisation. What they do not take into account, however, is the sinister nature of events surrounding the sanctuary. When certain strange events begin to occur, Ryan and Kris are determined to uncover the truth of the sanctuary. Their revelation will rattle the very borders of sanity.

Lakebed by Chris Coppel intrigued me. From the introductory part of the book to its conclusion, the author found a way to reveal—and yet not reveal—the true story of Lakebed. The book was roughly divided into two parts. The first (introductory) part detailed the history of Lakebed from many years ago and the tragedy that befell its inhabitants. The second part narrated the aftermath of the destruction as told through the experiences of Ryan and Kris.

Lakebed Canyon harboured many secrets, and the author made sure to capitalize on this element of the story to amplify the sanctuary's mythical feel. I also appreciated how the author seamlessly linked the two eras of Lakebed Canyon with the way he inserted clues throughout the story. I never felt at any point like I was missing a piece of the puzzle.

I loved the relationship between Ryan and Kris. They were a very lovable, hilarious, and daring couple. The affection between them was evident through their constant banter and unspoken agreement to never stick to rules. They couldn't be stopped once they unanimously set their hearts to do something; their doggedness and passion for adventure were impossible to overlook. These traits helped flesh out both characters and played a massive role in their mission to uncover some of the sanctuary's secrets.

Coppel also used their stubbornness to introduce some moments of humor. One such moment was when there was a warning to everyone not to venture outside or leave their lights on during the night of the solstice. Ryan and Kris flouted the instructions without a care in the world. When John, the CEO of the sanctuary, told Ryan that his wife was having an affair, Ryan couldn't control his laughter. The depth of their bond and mutual trust appealed to me.

Sadly, this book wasn't professionally edited; I found enough instances of grammar and typographical errors to arrive at this conclusion. Although the mistakes didn't dampen my enjoyment of this story, they were too obvious to miss. Besides its lack of proper editing, this tale was an unending cascade of adventure that will keep anyone engaged to the end. Its plot was superb, and the suspense Coppel built into the story was breathtaking. I'm sad that I can only rate it 3 out of 4 stars because of the lack of professional editing. I recommend it to people who love a good mystery story and would do anything for an adventure.

Lakebed
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

I like the fact that Ryan and Kris share a strong bond, it tells about mutual trust and faith in each other. Thank you for a great review! I'll be adding this to my shelf.
angelap5467
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Favorite Book: Crime and Punishment
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelap5467.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by angelap5467 »

The compelling cover of the book with such marvelous colors draw me into the review and the review didn't disappoint me. I felt like the wind was narrating me and showing me paths while I was reading your review, so flowy, yet sharp. Great job.
Buk Nerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buk-nerd.html
Latest Review: Ribzkniks by Y M Georges

Post by Buk Nerd »

I love a good mystery and I'm a big fan of Coppel’s work. This sounds like another intriguing story I certainly don't want to pass up. Great review.
"Literature is the most agreeable way of ignoring life." - Fernando Pessoa :techie-studyinggray:
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing mystery with a terrific couple of protagonists, so I hope the author does another round of proofreading to make it excellent. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
k_madhu_jha
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-madhu-jha.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by k_madhu_jha »

Seems like an interesting book. Would love to read this soon. Thank you for the detailed review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”