Review of Personas

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Crossing Paths by Nina Purtee
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Review of Personas

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Personas" by Laura Lollie.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Nature versus nurture: are killers born or are they created? In Laura Lollie's Personas, these are some of the questions that crossed my mind. This is a thriller that will chill even the most hardened horror fan. The unique feature of Lollie takes the reader through the minds of both law enforcement and the criminal. Dr. Xavier Trahan wrote letters to multiple serial killers sentenced to death. His obsession led to asking them for souvenirs, and he reenacted their tales of torture on his son. Eventually he started filming Ian with an abducted victim forced Ian to assist in the torture and murders. Ian becomes an accomplished geneticist in college. Dr. Xavier Trahan is found brutally murdered, and the housekeeper is convicted of the crime. Rosa Lopez was sentenced to life based on DNA evidence.

The FBI BAU quickly moves in when a pair of young women's bodies are found in a park outside of Seattle. The most confusing evidence is the DNA found is an exact match to deceased Ted Bundy. Magda and Nelson are teamed up to investigate the gruesome murders. Magda has the ability to see and hear what the victims went through. The chase begins as the FBI attempts to figure out who their unsub is.

This is a thriller that is extremely graphic. The various serial killer identities that Ian assumes are very well researched. Lollie was able to have me cringing at the in depth details of the murders as I felt as though I was there. I connected with Ian as he shares my oldest son's diagnosis of Asperger's Autism; I could see why Ian's mind worked in such a meticulous manner. Despite the violent details, I couldn't put the book down for fear of missing any tiny detail.

I couldn't find anything that I disliked about the book. This is a realistic fiction story and a lot of the names are infamous. The mention of Jeffrey Dahmer automatically brings up his notorious reputation of eating his victims. I found that Lollie was effectively able to describe DNA synthesis without sounding overly technical.

I am rating Personas 3 out of 4 stars. The plethora of grammatical and spelling errors I cannot overlook, so I deducted a star. Another round of editing is definitely recommended. This is the first book in the series and despite how disturbing I found the events in this novel, I still want to read the next book. I have questions regarding Magda's visions and dreams that I would like to see if I am correct. While Ian is the obvious killer from the start, there are points in the story where I felt bad for him. I don't understand what made his father treat him in such a depraved manner. If I was placed in the same situation, I would have killed him too.

I recommend this story to adults that are looking for a twisted and detailed thriller. There is a distinct possibility that certain religions may have issues with the contents as there are homosexual acts, minister cover-ups, and Satanic symbolism. The view of the emotional state of Ian and his victims during their brutal murders could easily trigger anyone sensitive to those topics. This isn't a quick read book due to its intensity.

Personas
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Sounds horrific and gruesome. This realistic-fiction tells the terrible truth of criminals who really do that and it's doesn't feel good at all.
I might just read.
Thank you for a good review!
angelap5467
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Favorite Book: Crime and Punishment
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelap5467.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by angelap5467 »

I felt like I was watching a trailer for a movie while I was reading your review. I like this genre of books and I might just start reading it right away. Congratulations and well done.
Stephanie Runyon

angelap5467 wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 14:34 I felt like I was watching a trailer for a movie while I was reading your review. I like this genre of books and I might just start reading it right away. Congratulations and well done.
This would be a creepy movie.
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Why in the World Are We Here?
Bookshelf Size: 2400
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I've always had a morbid fascination with understanding how serial killer's minds work, but I'm quite sensitive to violence towards children, so you have me on the fence about this book! You wrote an excellent review, either way.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I'm fascinated with the debate on nature vs nurture.
This book takes on a twisted version of the case about serial killers.
Also, I'm interested in Ian's character.
Thank you for the detailed review!
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Stephanie Runyon

Lunastella wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 12:48 I've always had a morbid fascination with understanding how serial killer's minds work, but I'm quite sensitive to violence towards children, so you have me on the fence about this book! You wrote an excellent review, either way.
The children aspect doesn't go into detail but it is Ian's emotional recollection and hatred towards his father forcing him into participating. However, the murders that Ian does are graphically depicted.
Stephanie Runyon

Dzejn_Crvena wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 23:16 I'm fascinated with the debate on nature vs nurture.
This book takes on a twisted version of the case about serial killers.
Also, I'm interested in Ian's character.
Thank you for the detailed review!
I think both. If the parents are already unstable, then they are likely to nurture that area in their children. The child sees that as a type of normal behavior until mentally it triggers something to where it manifests into a full blown murder. Most murders are from need to survive in self defense that has gone too far; serial killers tend to methodically hunt and target individuals.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Your review was sending chills up and down my spine! The author's writing and research created an intriguing story. I imagine this book will keep readers awake until the wee hours of the morning! Great writing!!
Hunter Tester
Favorite Book: The Silent Patient
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hunter-tester.html
Latest Review: Whale of Wonder by Marie-Paule Mahoney

Post by Hunter Tester »

Wow, this book sounds intense! I think I might like it because it reminds me of Criminal Minds, but also it might be too dark for me. Still, it sounds like a cool book. Good review!
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

This sounds like an intense twisted thriller! I feel for Ian too—such a sad childhood. This story is too dark for me, but I enjoyed your review. Thank you for your take on this one. :balloon:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Stephanie Runyon

Carnage is the sequel and is out on Kindle Unlimited. I am definitely checking it out

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”