Review of In the Black

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennydelacruz.html
Latest Review: Relieved by Cheryl Richardson

Review of In the Black

Post by jennydelacruz »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "In the Black" by Andrew Ceroni.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine having to be extremely alert at all times, carefully checking your back, checking your surroundings, imagine the life of double agents. I would probably die of paranoia and anxiety attacks even before anyone terminates me.

In the Black written by Andrew Ceroni gives us a bit of a background of how double agents live. A thrilling book about spies, espionage, and the exhausting journey of escape and rescue.

Andrew Ceroni introduced us to Vanya Stepanov. He is a case officer working for the Russian Embassy based in Switzerland. Vanya was assassinated. He was a confirmed double agent working for the Russian Embassy and providing information to the CIA. After his death, a couple of double agents are dying and being eliminated by the Russians.

Double agents’ death is not the only problem the CIA currently has. The Russian has infiltrated the agency with the use of subliminal codes. The powerful subliminal codes implant messages onto a person’s brain and making them do things unconsciously. With these predicaments at hand, the CIA is now looking at a rescue operation for valuable and irreplaceable double agents that they have. The top on the list is Dr. Armand Mishenkov, a nuclear physicist leading one of Russia’s research programs. A tenacious CIA agent along with another tough agent with reputations known to intelligence agencies across the world set off to execute the operation to extract Dr. Armand Mishenkov.

It appears that the author did a lot of research for this book and he did a great job putting them all together. The concept of mind-control and subliminal messages or codes is fascinating. The idea sounds fascinating when you read about it, but scary if done in real life. I have been using subliminal music for sleep and meditation and I can testify to the effectiveness of these hidden messages.

The actions are detailed and comprehensive, which is enjoyable. My adrenaline pumps up while reading as if I’m on the journey with the characters. I also appreciate the translation for the foreign languages used. In addition to that, I very much enjoyed the humor in this book. I’ll give an example to give you a hint of the type of humor the author used in this story. “I agree that your performance has been absolutely stellar, that is, other than being a magnet for bullet and knife wounds.”

The story lacks the “wow” factor, nonetheless, I enjoyed reading it. A few errors were spotted which can easily be edited. The graphic description of death is as detailed as the action scenes. Profanity is present. No sexual content found in the whole narrative.

Bookworms who love thrillers that involve spies, espionage, and adventure may enjoy the book. This is not religion-specific, hence it is suitable for people of different religions (or without). As mentioned above, the author provided a thorough narration of death and it may not be pleasing to some readers.

I, therefore, conclude that In the Black is a good-to-read book that deserves a full rating. I am happy to give this book 4 out of 4 stars.

I am ending my review with an extremely agreeable statement from the book.
"I’m glad that through all of His work in the glorious creation of earth, God took a few moments to create coffee…"

In the Black
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Wow, this one sounds awesome. Double agents are being executed and CIA has it's hand full. Sublime messages that act as mind control sound pretty amazing. I want to know what exactly is subliminal codes. I would love to read it. Thank you for an intriguing review!
angelap5467
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Favorite Book: Crime and Punishment
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelap5467.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by angelap5467 »

The first two sentences got me I laughed for an hour because I feel the same. The double agent life is definitely not for me, but I would love to read about it and the way you explained and summarized the book in your review makes me curious. Great job!
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmwallace.html
Latest Review: Cosmander and The Crown by Meade Summers

Post by Smmwallace »

Sounds like an intriguing and entertaining book. I love spy thrillers, so I will definitely add this book to my want-to-read shelf. Thank you for the informative and great review!
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:

Post by jennydelacruz »

Kavita Shah wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 10:07 Wow, this one sounds awesome. Double agents are being executed and CIA has it's hand full. Sublime messages that act as mind control sound pretty amazing. I want to know what exactly is subliminal codes. I would love to read it. Thank you for an intriguing review!
Thank you, Kavita Shah. Subliminals are really amazing, but scary at the same time if used to control other people's minds. Thanks for passing by :)
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:

Post by jennydelacruz »

angelap5467 wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 14:26 The first two sentences got me I laughed for an hour because I feel the same. The double agent life is definitely not for me, but I would love to read about it and the way you explained and summarized the book in your review makes me curious. Great job!
:lol2: I know right?
I appreciate the compliment :). Enjoy reading.
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:

Post by jennydelacruz »

Smmwallace wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 21:21 Sounds like an intriguing and entertaining book. I love spy thrillers, so I will definitely add this book to my want-to-read shelf. Thank you for the informative and great review!
Thank you, Smmwallace. I hope you enjoy the book as much as I did. Happy reading :)
Saloni Amin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Saloni Amin »

I like thriller books and you described the book in a very informative and easy way. Would definitely read this in future.Thank you for providing such a great review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems to be an intriguing spy story full of twists and enriched by humor. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”