Review of Mariner's Story 3: Undercover

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Review of Mariner's Story 3: Undercover

Post by Rosemary Wright »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mariner's Story 3: Undercover" by Bill Freeman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mariner's Story 3: Undercover, by Bill Freeman, is the third installment of the series, Mariner's Story. It involves Mariner, a detective in the "Toronto Police Force." One night, as he was walking back to his condo after work, Nickie approached and told him that she wanted to talk to him. Nickie was a member of "Drug Squad Two" and had been suspended from the force, along with the other members of the squad, for corruption.

Mariner and Nickie went to a bar and Nickie told him how she found out that Selnick, a drug dealer, was about to bring a new source of drugs into Toronto. In order to stop Selnick, Nickie decided to go undercover in the hope of redeeming herself. Though Mariner felt he had a responsibility to keep her safe, would she survive in the drug world? Being pretty and intelligent, would she be able to carry out the operation efficiently without attraction getting in the way? Selnick was handsome and elegant.

Consisting of 269 pages in EPUB format, this book is a quick and intriguing one. The author described the scenes and events in a concise and fascinating way, just like he did in the second book in the series, Rogue Squad, which I've read and reviewed. Besides, the events in the plot are unveiled in a coherent and smooth manner, as they revolve around police surveillance, mafia activities, romance, and so forth.

There are enough details about the characters, which make them relatable. Being a police procedural, the book comprises characters that are mostly police officers. Mariner, one of the protagonists, has the ability to focus on a case, and he doesn't retreat until an investigation is complete. Nickie is calm and analytical, although life has a way of throwing her curveballs. All the characters are interesting, and my favorite character is Selnick. His calculated ways made me like him.

The novel starts with a new story, which is concluded in a satisfactory way. So, even if one has not read the installments before it, they would still understand and enjoy it. Actually, there's nothing I don't like about the book. It's suspenseful and captivating. I enjoyed reading it, and I look forward to reading the next book in the series.

Overall, I rate Mariner's Story 3: Undercover 4 out of 4 stars. I didn't rate it lower because it's well written and engrossing. Moreover, it was well edited, though I noticed a few grammar errors and typos, which were not distracting. Readers who are not into crime novels may not like it, but fans of police stories will love it.

Mariner's Story 3: Undercover
View: on Bookshelves
Buk Nerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buk-nerd.html
Latest Review: Ribzkniks by Y M Georges

Post by Buk Nerd »

I like a good crime thriller, especially one that's suspenseful and captivating. I’m rooting for Nickie. I enjoyed your review.
"Literature is the most agreeable way of ignoring life." - Fernando Pessoa :techie-studyinggray:
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a well-constructed police procedural that can keep the readers' attention until the end. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Sia P
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sia-p.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sia P »

I'm already excited after reading your review, and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next. Wonderful review! Thanks for the same.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”