Review of The Gouge

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Unique Ego
Favorite Book: The Tales of Little Lady M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Review of The Gouge

Post by Unique Ego »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Gouge" by MH David.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Growing up in Cypress Creek, Carson Bates has some good friends, including the sheriff's daughter, Lilly Yeager, whom he has a crush on. Besides the obvious reason, he doesn't like Lilly's boyfriend, Mason Thewes, because he is a bully. One day Carson and Mason have a fight in secret in the woods, and Mason's body is found the next day. Things quickly spiral out of control for Carson after two more bodies are found a few days later. He naturally becomes the prime suspect and is arrested, seeing as he is connected to the three dead teenagers. However, Carson's father, Harry Bates, confesses to the murders, forcing Sheriff Carl Yeager to release Carson, albeit reluctantly.

After his release, he leaves Cypress Creek to start a new life and changes his last name. He meets Sloan, and they fall in love and eventually get married. Twenty-two years after the Cypress Creek murders, Carson's past returns to haunt him. Another spate of killings has started, and this time the killer takes credit for the murders from two decades prior. As news of this development reaches Carson, he decides to go back to Cypress Creek to clear his name, but he is in for a bumpy ride. Will Carson's mission succeed? Does his father really have a hand in the murders? Is there a connection between Carson and the serial killer?

The Gouge by MH David was an excellent crime thriller story. And true to its genre, it had creative moments of investigation and crime-solving. Thankfully, though, these weren't excessively detailed to the point that they took over the story's focus. The author used the element of suspense to good effect; my intrigue only got stronger as I followed Carson's story from his initial time at Cypress Creek to his return to the town. I also liked that the story was told from the perspective of different characters, giving it a well-rounded feel.

I loved the bond between Carson and his wife, Sloan. Their level of vulnerability to and support for each other in trying times was admirable. David developed these two characters such that their relationship didn't feel forced. I also appreciated Sheriff Carl Yeager's character. His relentless work to bring the serial killer to book was admirable. However, while the sheriff's heart was in the right place, his method of seeking justice could have been better. He let his emotions get ahead of him while on the case, and this caused damage to some people. I believe the sheriff's modus operandi was a huge contributor to Carson's emotional scars and his inability to let go of the past completely.

I couldn't find anything negative to say about this story. I did find several grammar and typographical issues while reading but not enough to question its professional editing. The characters served their purpose efficiently, the plot's pacing was consistent, and its suspense was instrumental to the story's impact. I have no problem giving this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to lovers of murder investigations and other related crime stories.

The Gouge
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Buk Nerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buk-nerd.html
Latest Review: Ribzkniks by Y M Georges

Post by Buk Nerd »

This sounds like an intriguing crime thriller with a well-thought-out plot and complex, relatable characters. Great work on the review.
"Literature is the most agreeable way of ignoring life." - Fernando Pessoa :techie-studyinggray:
Jalal Hossain
Currently Reading: The Chrysalis and the Creatures of the Highlands
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Jalal Hossain »

I loved the bond between Carson and his wife
Mercy119
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Mercy119 »

The cover itself hints at the book's mystery and I like that the characters are well developed and memorable. I feel for Carson and would like to read more about his journey.
Novela book
Favorite Book: Chameleons
Currently Reading: The Midnight Library
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novela-book.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Novela book »

I love crime thrillers, they bring a complex theme to any story. I loved your review and think I will love the book as well.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing murder mystery that can be intense for the emotions felt by the protagonists, who have complex personal stories. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Barbara Perini
Currently Reading: Il nome della rosa
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-perini.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Barbara Perini »

This could be the kind of thought-provoking thriller that interests me.
Plus, it's a well-written review.
k_madhu_jha
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-madhu-jha.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by k_madhu_jha »

I like the plot of this book. Hope to read this soon. Thank you for the great review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”