Review of Missing Gini

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Michele H
Favorite Book: Frozen Harvest
Currently Reading: A Siblings Revenge
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michele-h.html
Latest Review: House of Dads by June Gillam
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review of Missing Gini

Post by Michele H »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Missing Gini" by Joy Weaver.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Callie was looking forward to a visit with her long-time friend and grad school roommate, Gini. Why did it always seem like the world was working against you when you were trying to get out of town for a long weekend? After a stressful work day, Callie was finally at the wheel and ready to tackle the drive to Gini’s. Normally the trip would have been a few hours, but as the weather got worse and worse, Callie knew it wouldn’t be an easy commute.

After exchanging a few messages with Gini, she discovered Gini was also trying to wrap up her day and had a few more clients to finish up. Callie communicated that she would be arriving late due to the rainstorm and tried to stay focused on the roads. Relieved when she finally arrived at Gini’s, she was immediately alarmed when she found the office lights still on and the door open. Something wasn’t right. Gini was nowhere to be found, and there had definitely been a struggle. Callie called 911 in a panic. What could have possibly happened to Gini? Callie’s heart dropped to her knees. She knew Gini was in trouble. Callie was the only person Gini could count on. It was up to her now to figure out what happened and find her.

Missing Gini, by Joy Weaver, is a suspenseful thriller full of mystery and intrigue. I enjoyed everything about this book. The author has a talent for plot development and expertly sets the tone and sequences of events to create mystery and build up momentum. An example of this is that most of the story is told in the third person from Callie’s point of view. However, the story begins with Gini’s account and then switches to Callie. This leaves the reader in anticipation of hearing from Gini again but does not happen again until later in the book. Additionally, the characters are all developed well and relatable.

There was nothing I disliked about the book. However, I do have a couple of comments I would like to make to provide the author with feedback. I would have liked to have had some closure on a couple of the previous events in Callie’s life that were reflected on, but the end result is not explained. Additionally, I felt the ending was slightly abrupt. After the intense momentum and the thorough detail summarizing the unknown events, I felt the story ended short. I consider these minor issues and do not affect my overall rating of the book.

This book was professionally edited, and profanity was very minimal. This is an adult-themed book tackling themes such as kidnapping, murder, infidelity, and more. It also addressed adult relationships, friendships, grief, marriage, love, and loyalty. My rating for this riveting book is [b}4 out of 4 stars[/b]. Readers who enjoy a fast-paced mystery that has plot twists up until the very end will thoroughly enjoy this book. I recommend this to all mystery lovers.

Missing Gini
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Adego 002
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adego-002.html
Latest Review: Gardening With Guns by AJ Wootton

Post by Adego 002 »

It sounds like a good mystery to me. I would also love to find out Gini's back story to see if it eventually leads to the disappearance. Thank you for the recommendation.
Benaron
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benaron.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Benaron »

For people interesting in crime/mystery books, this book sounds like a must-read! Great review!
Stellalouise
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Stellalouise »

This is a book that I would like to read. I want to know what happened to Gini.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing thriller centered around a mystery that opens a can of worms revealing a number of secrets. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Khushboo Barwar
Favorite Book: Inertia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khushboo-barwar.html
Latest Review: The Price of Dreams by Jerry A. Greenberg
Reading Device: B07XVJZPKZ

Post by Khushboo Barwar »

What happened to Gini? Did she eloped? Or there's more to the story? I really should find out! This was a great review!
k_madhu_jha
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-madhu-jha.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by k_madhu_jha »

Seems like a great book. Thanku you for this amazing review. Hope to read this soon.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Love mysteries. I look forward to learning more about Callie and Gini when I read the book.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”