Review of Family Business

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Review of Family Business

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Family Business" by James Jack Fauser.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

J.J. is part of a secret organization on a secret mission. However, a series of unusual coincidences seem to imply that their cover has been blown. In this fast-paced, action-packed story, J.J. must uncover the identity of their enemy and the mole within. And this leads him on a journey across Europe and eventually to the United States, where he faces danger at every turn and threats to those he loves. Family Business by James Jack Fauser follows J.J. in his fight against vices, counterterrorism, and a familiar foe. Will he be consumed by a force that seems to know his every move?

Family Business is contemporary in depicting events that resonate with the 21st-century reader. With many fight scenes and distinct flavors of different European cities, Family Business offers a wholesome experience of life as a secret operative. It gives a glimpse into the ruthless operations of the mafia. There are no dull moments, and just like every good thriller, drama and surprises are waiting to spring up at any moment. Even the ending has a twist to it; perhaps a sequel is underway.

One unique and scintillating feature of this book is the inclusion of the author's personalized playlist, which he suggests can be played while reading the book. My favorite is Irony by Beady Belle. The author's descriptive skill is also commendable, especially in the fighting scenes. I could easily visualize the actions taking place and sometimes feel the pain of the 'actors' (the waterboarding scene comes to mind here). The author also tries to relay the backgrounds of the characters and specific ideas. I will therefore say that this book is informative in its approach to contemporary issues and entertaining in its depiction of 'mortal combats.'

On the other hand, a significant issue I have with this book is the volume of errors within. They are too much. These errors include the confusion with using the verb 'have' and 'be,' wrong order of adverbs, missing apostrophes used to indicate possession, and ambiguous sentences. This book needs thorough editing to correct these errors so readers can enjoy this book without a hitch. Apart from that, the language of the book is simple.

I recommend this book to readers who love thrillers with an emphasis on espionage and secret ops. Also, readers who love action-packed novels will not be disappointed. I will rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Although I'm tempted to remove one more point because of the magnitude of errors within, I still appreciate the plot and narrative style of the author; they are its saving grace. Hopefully, when this is properly edited, it will get a perfect rating.

Family Business
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Espionage always excites me. Will they be caught? Won’t they? What will happen if they are? Can’t wait to read this.
Reader Chavez
Currently Reading: Jirvania
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-chavez.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Reader Chavez »

I'm a big fan of thrillers and this book sounds intriguing from beginning to end. I'm looking forward to reading this book. Thanks for the great review!
k_madhu_jha
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-madhu-jha.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by k_madhu_jha »

As you said there are a lot of errors but it still is a good novel so I think I will read this book one day.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

Shame about the errors, as this seems like an exciting spy story. I hope the author does proper proofreading to avoid distractions for the readers. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Omark
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Omark »

I like this review especially the ending plot of the author.the error didn't remove the sweet of the story.i think this is so much fun.i would like to see more thank you for good reviews.
MichelleYong
Currently Reading: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelleyong.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by MichelleYong »

I read a pretty bad action novel lately, I want to hope that this is good :techie-studyingbrown: Action novels are really my thing so I have high standards for those that I read, seeing this review, it should satisfy my expectations.
Nerd_Chris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerd-chris.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Nerd_Chris »

The introduction of the review revealed that the book is action packed. I became interested immediately because I'm a great fan of action. Nice review. Congrats on winning BOTD.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Chris Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nakazuka.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Chris Azuka »

Family business is a book that features action and thriller. The fact that there might be a sequel to the book is amazing. I would love to get a copy of this book as soon as possible. Congratulations on winning BOTD.
Mutuma Clare
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutuma-clare.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Mutuma Clare »

Am huge fan of thrillers and espionage. Will definitely check this book out. Congratulations on BOTD!
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

I am a huge fan of an action-packed thriller and can't wait to read this full book! I am very interested in the name of this book and how it connects with the story. Well done on an excellent review and for #BOTD.
Scott Fling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott-fling.html
Latest Review: GOD'S PLAN FOR YOU: 21-DAY DEVOTIONAL by Tim Outlaw

Post by Scott Fling »

Family Business is contemporary in depicting events that resonate with the 21st-century reader. With many fight scenes and distinct flavors of different European cities, Family Business offers a wholesome experience of life as a secret operative.
Angelika mae dalida
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Angelika mae dalida »

Family business as a tittle make me think of the sequel of the story, J.J job as part of a secret organization connect to his family business, is it the family the problem or is it the solution? I'm curious got to read this...
Carol Saint
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carol-saint.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Carol Saint »

I have to admit the use of the words 'wholesome' and 'mafia' in the same review is really intriguing
AllTooWell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alltoowell.html
Latest Review: Unlight by Chandra Shekhar

Post by AllTooWell »

I have to admit I was judging this book by its cover, i thought it was going to be boring and unoriginal but after reading the review I realize that this is a great action-packed novel.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”