Review of Anthony's Story

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Review of Anthony's Story

Post by Erin Dydek »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Anthony's Story" by Winston Legge.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Anthony's Story: The Kill Squad by Winston Legge is the riveting journey of a young man from humble beginnings who becomes part of the CIA's highly secret team of hired assassins. Anthony shares the details of his life through his honest and conversational first-person point of view. While overcoming the challenges that life presents, Anthony must commit crimes to survive, redeem himself through espionage, and complete his missions to earn the right to marry the woman he loves.

My favorite part of Anthony's Story was the interesting facts I learned about each place that became a part of his life's journey. From his early days in the Bronx, the author shared the history, population statistics, and dynamic way of life in the lowest-income part of New York. After completing his high school education, I enjoyed reading about his boxing ability and how it played into his military career with the Army's Special Forces unit. I also loved learning about Anthony's various travel destinations, including Montreal, Canada; Deadwood, South Dakota; multiple villages in Amsterdam; and many more. I also learned more about different poker games, including Texas Holdem, and how this popular game gained its early fame.

While this book wasn't a fast-paced thriller, I enjoyed the complete account that depicted each challenge that Anthony had to overcome throughout his life. The author used a straightforward and easy-to-understand tone to tell the tale. Since the writing did more telling than showing, there wasn't an extensive emotional connection to the characters. Still, I believe that most can relate to Anthony's inner conflicts, and it was easy for me to cheer him on to success. I found his fifth mission with the CIA to be the most suspenseful and was on the edge of my seat, waiting to see the outcome. The final scene of the book felt a little abrupt to me and was truly bittersweet.

The errors throughout the book were few and far between. However, I found more than ten, which required me to reduce the rating by one star. Because of the errors and the limited emotional connection to the characters, I rate Anthony's Story three out of four stars.

I would recommend this book to those who enjoy rags-to-riches stories or those who enjoy learning cultural trivia. This book may also appeal to those who enjoy espionage thrillers with a bit of romance. There was frequent talk about sex, but no erotic content and very few swear words throughout the story. Those who enjoy fictional autobiographical novels may also enjoy Anthony's Story.

Anthony's Story
View: on Bookshelves
Reader Chavez
Currently Reading: Jirvania
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-chavez.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Reader Chavez »

It seems like an interesting read. I love thrillers so I might give this one a chance. Thanks for the great review!
k_madhu_jha
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-madhu-jha.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by k_madhu_jha »

Squad, CIA. I am all in. Thank you for this great review. Will give this book a read soon.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing spy thriller with a protagonist who has a personal storyline and at the same time has to go on missions on behalf of the CIA. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”