Review of Dee Dee Darkly: Spontaneous Traveler and Erstwhile Sleutg

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hhannahh
Currently Reading: The Smartest Person in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: The Whaler's Daughter by Jerry Mikorenda

Review of Dee Dee Darkly: Spontaneous Traveler and Erstwhile Sleutg

Post by Hhannahh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dee Dee Darkly: Spontaneous Traveler and Erstwhile Sleutg" by Susan E Bisco.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dee Dee Darkly—American, middle-aged, female, and writer of children's literature—wanted more from life than visiting children's libraries and reading out her latest tot-book to them. One day, amidst a toddler's rebellion, she decides to become a travel writer. "Spontaneous traveling means never having a plan. Bring only the essential clothes and an active credit card. No maps, no travel guides, no advance reservations." And that's exactly what Dee Dee does; she heads off to England without a plan. You'll have to read this book to know if Dee Dee succeeds as a travel writer.

Dee Dee's tour was narrated from her unique perspective, and the diction of the narrative was a blend of informal and complex, a seemingly unlikely combination. This book was comprised of three not-so-short stories set in different countries: England, Northern Ireland, and Scotland. Each story revolved around Dee Dee and whatever inn she was staying at and whatever new people she met. This book featured the themes of adventure and people, "with a splash of death...and whiskey." Yes, death and whiskey. Dee Dee drank everything that came her way, and there was at least one murder in every town she stayed in.

Dee Dee Darkly: Spontaneous Traveler and Erstwhile Sleuth by Susan E. Bisco was a unique and interesting read, and I sure enjoyed this book. The highlight of this book was Dee Dee. She was one intense character: a wild thinker, crazy laugher, mystery seeker, and trouble magnet—from broken ribs to discovering hidden graves and bodies to being the subject of investigations. (I guess that's where the "sleuth" bit comes in.) Regardless of her clumsy nature, Dee Dee was likable. I liked her, and so did almost all the other characters in the novel. If you've seen the 2020 fantasy comedy, Godmothered, the main character, Eleanor Bloomingbottom, acted by Jillian Bell, should give you a good picture of what Dee Dee was like. I also liked the splash of romance in Dee Dee's life, which interestingly managed to happen amid all the investigations and traveling.

Briefly moving away from Dee Dee, I was impressed by how well the author captured the accent of the indigenes in each country Dee Dee visited. Still on its pros, this book had a good deal of suspense that kept me flipping till the end, and the element of surprise was never far away. Also, discovering Dee Dee's next destination was always exciting because it was done by a closing of the eyes and pointing of a finger on the map. I look forward to the second volume of Dee Dee's spontaneous travels.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, but I wouldn't say it was perfect. I initially found it tedious to flow with the story because of its complex sentences, and I noticed quite a number of errors and punctuation inconsistencies. On a lighter note, there was little information on Dee Dee's personal life, like about her family or her life in America. There should have been a backstory on this erratic character. Finally, the three stories in this book had the same climatic event: murder, and that amounted to a kind of pattern, which took some thrill and surprise from this book. Considering its many pros and few cons, I'll give this book 3 out of 4 stars and a high recommendation.

Susan Bisco loves to travel, and I believe she wrote this book from her experience. With all the handy and interesting tips in this book, would-be spontaneous travelers will find it helpful. Besides the frequent jabs and stereotypical comments made by the other characters about Americans, which Dee Dee often managed to shrug off or sometimes debunk (but which another American may not tolerate), I don't see anything that would deter any class of reader from enjoying this book.

Dee Dee Darkly: Spontaneous Traveler and Erstwhile Sleutg
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
k_madhu_jha
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-madhu-jha.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by k_madhu_jha »

Seems like a great story. Will soon give this book a chance. Thanks for this detailed review.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Kind of makes you not want to be where she stays. The odds don’t seem in your favor. Sounds like a good book, though.
Mayur Arjune
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayur-arjune.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Mayur Arjune »

The rebellion story of a boy, wanting to read more, just like us. The review has mentioned it correctly how we readers are eager to read new novels.
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

I'm glad that you enjoyed reading the book. Thanks for your well-detailed review and recommendations.
Chalce
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Chalce »

Dee Dee sounds like quite an interesting character. I like the idea of spontaneous traveling, but I'll most likely make so much plans before traveling that it's no longer spontaneous.
Chisom oguejiofor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Chisom oguejiofor »

Dee Dee sounds as spontaneous and interesting as her name is. I like this kind of books. I'll try this one out.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”