Review of The dark side of the fire

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Review of The dark side of the fire

Post by Kennedy NC »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The dark side of the fire" by Ruben Elustondo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ruben Elustondo wrote THE DARK SIDE OF THE FIRE. The story started with Brian Oliver, who went out for his usual routine of early jogging, ignorant that a car was following patiently behind. He had made a crucial discovery the day before about a fire incident that took place some years ago at a brewery site owned by one of the big companies in the city, DB Corps. He was excited to share this discovery with his closest friends, Matt and Josh.

In the blink of an eye, and without giving him any time to react, the car following patiently behind runs into him. The result is disastrous. He hears the sound of broken bones and stinging pain in his chest. As he is rushed to St. Michael's hospital, series of tests are conducted. And while the reader may have harboured hopes of his survival, Brian dies of kidney failure and various heart complications. His death will serve as the trigger that will set in motion a series of events that will lead to uncovering dastardly motives and the discomforting truth.

Written in simple and engaging diction, THE DARK SIDE OF THE FIRE has many positive aspects. Firstly, despite the extensive length of this fiction novel, I discovered only a few errors. This served as proof that this work was professionally edited. Another positive point in favour of this book is that there is an abundance of dialogues between the characters. This allows the reader to discover the personality of the major characters for himself. Not only this, we see the contrast in the personality of the characters as they interact.

Matt is unrelenting in the pursuit of the things he is passionate about. Sometimes he comes across as insensitive and selfish because of this. Consequently, his relationship with his fiance, Jessica, suffers. Josh, on the other hand, will give priority to the people in his life when he needs to. And this trait allows him to end up with Jessica eventually. This is only one instance of where we see the dynamic characterisation that coloured this book.

I also have some negative things to say about this book. Although I enjoyed the abundance of dialogues in it, such excess dialogues also robbed this story of the balance and well-roundedness most intriguing stories possess. Descriptions of significant characters and places were not detailed enough, and outside the thoughts of the major characters, one could hardly discover the narrator's thoughts.

That notwithstanding, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I did not give this book a lower rating because it was still exciting and enjoyable to read. I recommend it to everyone who enjoys reading fiction novels mixed with a tinge of mystery, murder and adventure.

The dark side of the fire
View: on Bookshelves
Emerizx
Currently Reading: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emerizx.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Emerizx »

The book sound interesting.
Mayur Arjune
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayur-arjune.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Mayur Arjune »

The book has gifted us the dark side of the fire, which is an expression of freedom. I just lost into the Carina of the book.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I love the fact that at the base of this novel is the friendship between Brian, Matt, and Josh despite their differences. Thanks for the review.
Omark
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Omark »

It sounds this is a great book full of adventure.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

An excess of dialogue can indeed become a burden for a story, otherwise, this seems like a terrific murder mystery. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Susan Kihleng
Currently Reading: Just Give Me a Soft Place to Land
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-kihleng.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Susan Kihleng »

This looks like a fast-paced and fascinating thriller. I look forward to reading it. Thank you for the heads up on the excessive dialogue. However, I think I'll still enjoy it. Thanks for the great review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”