Review of The Missing Boy and the Man in the Moon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Review of The Missing Boy and the Man in the Moon

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Missing Boy and the Man in the Moon" by Steven Schlotter.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

On the night of July 20, 1969, the same day Neil Armstrong walked on the moon, Judy Miller, Michael Berg, Eric Stein, and Andy Schmidt embarked on an adventure under the moon. But unfortunately, an unknown man abducts six-year-old Andy right before his friends.

Many years have passed, and no one seems to have a clue of who abducted Andy. However, Judy, Michael, Eric, and Andy's mother, Ruth, have not stopped looking for him, even though the police have lost interest in the case. And folks in the community believe that Judy and company are just making up stories of a non-existent bogeyman. Andy's abductor has also been visiting Ruth and Andy's friends, and these visits mostly end up bloody. Could these visits mean that Andy is still alive? Most importantly, who could the abductor be? These questions, dear fiction lovers, are excitingly answered in The Missing Boy and the Man in the Moon by Steven Schlotter.

What a story! I had to wait for my heartbeat to return to normal before starting to write this review. This title is definitely one of the few books I would love to read again. As much as I wanted to get to the end of the tale, I did not want it to finish because of the author’s gripping narrations. He uses the third-person point of view to narrate the story. His writing style is also exceptional, making it easy for readers to visualize the characters' looks, actions, and surroundings. Despite the nerve-wracking and sad moments in the book, the author managed to adorn the book with rib-cracking humor that I really appreciated.

What I like most about this book is the author's exciting integration of the culture and noteworthy events in different eras into the story. They made the book authentic and relatable. Though I wasn't born before the historic moonwalk, Mr. Schlotter's description of the excitement in American homes at that time made me feel as if I didn't miss much. His progressive description of the fashion trends between the late 60s and the 2000s is fascinating. I am sure that readers who witnessed the fashion evolution within that time would enjoy this aspect too.

Furthermore, the characterization in this novel is excellent. I'm in awe of how lifelike the characters are. With identifiable traits, I enjoyed how easy it was to empathize with them. It's hard to pick a favorite character because they all impressively played their roles to make this novel an unforgettable read. But if I must choose one, then it has to be Judy because she is brave, passionate, and beautiful. I greatly feared for the safety of the protagonists and was as helpless as they were in the face of danger because the bogeyman surprised even me anytime he showed up. Good job, Mr. Schlotter!

Another aspect of this book that I enjoyed was the dialogues between the characters. They were natural, distinct for each character, and easy to follow. I loved how Judy, Michael, and Eric's conversations matured as they grew older. More so, I enjoyed the bond between the protagonists. Perhaps we can all learn from this story that blood doesn't define family.

It goes without saying that I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I didn't dislike anything about it either. However, prospective readers should beware of some sex scenes in the novel. This book is professionally edited and contains only a few errors. Therefore, I gladly rate The Missing Boy and the Man in the Moon four out of four stars. If you love historical and mystery titles, an unforgettable reading experience awaits you if you pick this one. And mark this author's name because this publication confirms his spot with the very best in this genre.

The Missing Boy and the Man in the Moon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

This seems like my kind of book. Andy, his friends, and his mother are doing not giving up. That’s what I hope that I would do. Thanks for the review!
Priyanshi Sharma 2
Currently Reading: Tinman
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanshi-sharma-2.html
Latest Review: Shadow Eclipse Voyage by E. M. Gale

Post by Priyanshi Sharma 2 »

Andy being missing for several years, his friends & mother not losing their hope, and his abductor visiting them! I am not going to put down this book once I start reading. I am curious to know how this story unfolds.

Thanks for such a captivating review :angelic-sunshine:
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

Wow.
I am already looking forward to reading this book. The boogeyman is probably an 👽. Lol
Thanks for the exciting review.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
chidimma ndumanya
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by chidimma ndumanya »

Wow

I can’t wait to read this book , it sounds so interesting to me
MoeBrown
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moebrown.html
Latest Review: Break up with him now by Lena Lubinka

Post by MoeBrown »

Your review got me excited and teary-eyed at the same time. I need to get my hands on this book lol. Thanks for the review!
Jydel
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Currently Reading: Diary of a wimpy kid
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jydel.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Jydel »

Wow, I felt like I was reading the book already. Quite a captivating review. Well done.
Hhannahh
Currently Reading: The Smartest Person in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: The Whaler's Daughter by Jerry Mikorenda

Post by Hhannahh »

The title of this book caught my attention, and this review solidified my interest in the book. I'm so curious to what happened to Andy and how it relates to the man in the moon. This is certainly my kind of book.
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

Looks like a captivating story. Thank you!
Miriam nkere
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-nkere.html
Latest Review: Rosa, a Survivor from Terrorism by Dan Verin

Post by Miriam nkere »

Looks very interesting and the painful part is nobody believes then, I hope they finally find him. Nice review
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing novel for the mystery of the abduction with the culprit(s) popping up visiting other people. It all seems more real as it's anchored to historical events and even fashion changes. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”