Review of Not As We Knew It

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Buk Nerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buk-nerd.html
Latest Review: Ribzkniks by Y M Georges

Review of Not As We Knew It

Post by Buk Nerd »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Not As We Knew It" by F. M. Meredith.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Not As We Knew It is an engaging police procedural and the 16th book in the Rocky Bluff P.D. Mysteries series by F.M. Meredith. This installment of the series focuses on the reality of COVID-19 as it affects the lives of the officers of a police department in a small beach community called Rocky Bluff. The officers now face new challenges in carrying out their duties to protect and serve due to the fallout of the pandemic.

A local woman goes missing. A house fire probably caused by arson claims lives. A string of burglaries disrupts the peace in an upper-class neighborhood. Then there's the threat of protesters from out of town coming to cause mayhem in the community. Rocky Bluff P.D., already shorthanded, has its work cut out for it with these new cases. With more and more officers needing to self-isolate after becoming exposed to the virus, Police Chief Chandra Taylor needs to find a way to protect the town fast before Rocky Bluff becomes overrun by miscreants.

As the 16th book in a series about the same police department, it cannot be helped that there are elements of the story and characters that a first-time reader would not be privy to without first reading the preceding books. Even with suitable backstories, there was still quite a bit about the characters that were left out. Nevertheless, this did not keep me from enjoying the story, and I may even search for other books in the series to get more background on the characters.

I liked the flow of the story. As short as the book was, the narrative was not in any way rushed. It flowed organically with riveting suspense and a natural and satisfying plot resolution. The characters were multicultural, complex, and relatable, especially within the context of daily life during a pandemic. The tone was neither exaggerated nor downplayed but adequately translated the seriousness of the situation. This is the first book I have read where the author has skillfully created an engaging mystery that plays into the apt realities of life during the COVID pandemic.

My only issue with the book was the editing. While the errors I found were significant enough to deduct a star, they did not detract from the quality of the story. As such, I am satisfied to rate Not As We Knew It 3 out of 4 stars. Fans of short cozy mysteries and police procedurals can pick up this delightful book and while away a lazy afternoon. There are no scenes of violence, intimacy, or strong language, making it appropriate for readers of all ages.

Not As We Knew It
View: on Bookshelves
"Literature is the most agreeable way of ignoring life." - Fernando Pessoa :techie-studyinggray:
Aarti Jha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarti-jha.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aarti Jha »

This is such an open and honest review. The fact that this book is part of a larger series is preventing me from reading it, otherwise would surely have considered reading it. Great Review!
Mayur Arjune
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayur-arjune.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Mayur Arjune »

The review says how covid has hit the world, and how our true selves has come forward. This is interesting.
Buk Nerd
Currently Reading:

Post by Buk Nerd »

Aarti Jha wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 01:07 This is such an open and honest review. The fact that this book is part of a larger series is preventing me from reading it, otherwise would surely have considered reading it. Great Review!
Thank you so much of your kind words.
"Literature is the most agreeable way of ignoring life." - Fernando Pessoa :techie-studyinggray:
Buk Nerd
Currently Reading:

Post by Buk Nerd »

Mayur Arjune wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 01:36 The review says how covid has hit the world, and how our true selves has come forward. This is interesting.
Thank you very much for commenting.
Maliha Naveed
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Tales from the Grey Area
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maliha-naveed.html
Latest Review: I Am~The product of the mentally ill lonely monster~My journal by Brandy J Rex

Post by Maliha Naveed »

This is a good review. I myself keep looking for short mystery novels whenever I'm tired with heavy reads. I will definitely grab this one.
Msaqib+1234567890
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Msaqib+1234567890 »

What a great review!
Author told that how's covid effected the humanity!
The Author narrated that how we spent our time other Stuff & realizing reading Significant.
Inspirational review!
Last edited by Msaqib+1234567890 on 25 Jul 2021, 13:58, edited 1 time in total.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I’ll probably have to read the first 15 books because I don’t like to get in on the middle of a series. It does sound like one I’d be in in, though.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

Too bad there are other bookstore ads before trying this one out. The review makes me think this is a must read. Thanks for the great review
Snigdha Roy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snigdha-roy.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith

Post by Snigdha Roy »

I haven't read the previous books therefore ,I am a little uncertain about reading this. Anyway, it's an amazing review.
Buk Nerd
Currently Reading:

Post by Buk Nerd »

Maliha Naveed wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 03:22 This is a good review. I myself keep looking for short mystery novels whenever I'm tired with heavy reads. I will definitely grab this one.
Thank you. I hope you enjoy reading it.
Buk Nerd
Currently Reading:

Post by Buk Nerd »

Msaqib+1234567890 wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 13:46 What a great review!
Author told that how's covid effected the humanity!
The Author narrated that how we spent our time other Stuff & realizing reading Significant.
Inspirational review!
Thank you for your kind words.
Buk Nerd
Currently Reading:

Post by Buk Nerd »

Amy Luman wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 15:21 I’ll probably have to read the first 15 books because I don’t like to get in on the middle of a series. It does sound like one I’d be in in, though.
I understand. Thanks a lot for commenting.
Buk Nerd
Currently Reading:

Post by Buk Nerd »

Suzer6440 xyz wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 22:07 Too bad there are other bookstore ads before trying this one out. The review makes me think this is a must read. Thanks for the great review
I'm glad you liked the review, thank you.
Buk Nerd
Currently Reading:

Post by Buk Nerd »

Snigdha0205 wrote: 26 Jul 2021, 00:53 I haven't read the previous books therefore ,I am a little uncertain about reading this. Anyway, it's an amazing review.
Thank you so much for your kind words.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”