Review of The Honor Guard

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Review of The Honor Guard

Post by khaulah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Honor Guard" by Donald Steven Collins.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jim Donovan, an NYPD detective, is found dead of a gunshot wound in his room. Jim is discovered on the floor with a gun next to him. The police rule it out as suicide after investigation. Frank Donovan, Jim’s younger brother, a high school teacher, refuses to believe Jim could do that to himself. He recalls Jim as a strong man. The clue of an open window prompts him to find the truth of his brother’s death. Frank hires a private investigator to look into the case. Did Jim commit suicide as the police suspect, or was he murdered?

The Honor Guard by Donald Steven Collins is a mystery book written in the third person point of view. The author manages to weave the mystery part of the story with a theme that might feel relevant to readers, including marital challenges and grief. It is a realistic portrayal of how people who are left behind are affected after losing a loved one.

Frank is a likable character. He is understandably distressed at his brother’s death and keeps seeking the truth relentlessly. He is not resentful of his mother abandoning him and Jim, and he is sympathetic towards his father, who is an abusive person. Another important character is Alex, the private investigator. There is a romance between Frank and Alex in the book, but it is not the focus of it. It is incidental but somehow plays a vital part and neatly concludes the story.

The plot moves at a steady pace. As the investigation gets closer to the truth, you get a picture of what kind of a person Jim was. Several characters appear to be guilty, which makes you want to read the book all the way to the end to find out what happens. It elicited the “I didn’t see it coming” feeling from me. However, I later realized the clues were all there about the truth, making me perceive how we can overlook the obvious truth sometimes.

The writing is simple and concise. I was never lost or disoriented. I liked the investigation and the eventual answers to the questions posed. The Honor Guard is not a typical mystery book. It gives you a lot to ponder after you finish reading it. This book does not have any flaws, in my opinion. Therefore, I give The Honor Guard 4 out of 4 stars. The book seems perfectly edited. I noted just two errors.

The Honor Guard would be suitable for adult readers who enjoy mystery novels. Non-borderline profane words appear only two times. There is a brief description of a rape scene that could be triggering. Sensitive readers should tread with caution.

The Honor Guard
View: on Bookshelves
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I love mysteries and dislike romances. This book seems to have the correct balance of both. I think I’ll try it.
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

Amy Luman wrote: 05 Aug 2021, 09:36 I love mysteries and dislike romances. This book seems to have the correct balance of both. I think I’ll try it.
Happy reading @Amy Luman !
Poojitha Borra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poojitha-borra.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Poojitha Borra »

It is a story with an interesting plot and right up my alley. I will definitely give it a read. Great review!
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

Poojitha Borra wrote: 08 Aug 2021, 03:47 It is a story with an interesting plot and right up my alley. I will definitely give it a read. Great review!
Thanks @Poojitha Borra !
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing mystery that slowly reveals information about Jim and offers some food for thought. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

NetMassimo wrote: 12 Aug 2021, 07:30 This seems like an intriguing mystery that slowly reveals information about Jim and offers some food for thought. Thank you for your great review!
You're always welcome @NetMassimo !
DyanaFl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dyanafl.html
Latest Review: Like Glass by Sylvia Wilde

Post by DyanaFl »

Ooh a good mix of romance and mystery! It's great to have a book that is not entirely predictable and keeps you hooked! Thanks for the review
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

I like novels with a storyline that somehow relates to real life issues. I definitely want to read this one. Thanks for the review.
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

DyanaFl wrote: 14 Aug 2021, 03:02 Ooh a good mix of romance and mystery! It's great to have a book that is not entirely predictable and keeps you hooked! Thanks for the review
You're welcome @DyanaFl !
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

Tarie07 wrote: 14 Aug 2021, 15:50 I like novels with a storyline that somehow relates to real life issues. I definitely want to read this one. Thanks for the review.
Happy reading @Tarie07 . You're welcome🙂!
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhyarnaaman.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

mystery books are anyhow my favorites, your excellent review adds charm to this book :)
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.
By Rob White
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

AbhyarnaAman wrote: 16 Aug 2021, 06:26 mystery books are anyhow my favorites, your excellent review adds charm to this book :)
Thank you so much @AbhyarnaAman ! 🙂
Muna Chizzy
Currently Reading: Gardening With Guns
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muna-chizzy.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Muna Chizzy »

I love mystery and romance stories. I'm intrigue to know what the outcome of the investigation might be. Thanks for the captivating review.
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

Muna Chizzy wrote: 27 Aug 2021, 21:10 I love mystery and romance stories. I'm intrigue to know what the outcome of the investigation might be. Thanks for the captivating review.
You're welcome @Muna Chizzy ! Thanks for stopping by🙂.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”