Review of Don’t Kill Me Because I’m Beautiful

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Review of Don’t Kill Me Because I’m Beautiful

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Don’t Kill Me Because I’m Beautiful" by H. Gewirtz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sixteen years before the year in which this story was set, Brooklyn Petitjean, daughter of Jean Petitjean, was kidnapped. She was found well-fed and with no memories of who her kidnappers were. It seemed like all was well, but the darkness from her past was hell-bent on catching up with her.

It's the year 2023, and Brooklyn, just barely 20, seems to have no future ahead of her. Although rich, she is not purpose-driven; she lives a routinely empty life. Everything changes when she meets a guy named Jace and gets into an accident that puts her in hospital. Brooklyn's entire life is set to change as the secret from her past is unearthed.

Don't Kill Me Because I'm Beautiful by H. Gewirtz was an intriguing story with an array of complicated plots and twists in the storyline that examined human behavior concerning our wants, strengths, and weaknesses. From the story, you find out that one of Brooklyn's weaknesses was her naivety, which caused her significant problems. The plots were relatable in real life and made the story engaging for me.

One thing that captivated me in the story was the aura of mystery surrounding most parts of it. The desire to uncover the reason behind Brooklyn's kidnapping gave the story that ambiance of mystery. This heightened suspense for me in the book and kept me captivated. I was left in awe of how the author effortlessly combined mystery in a thriller book without losing the essence of the story.

Another commendable attribute in the book was its thrilling aspect. It was so unpredictable that I felt an adrenaline rush when reading about certain events in the book. One instance was when one of the major characters, Dante, went on a mass-murder mission with Jace and Yuri. I saw that particular incident play out as if in real life, and it gave me an adrenaline rush like I was present at the event.

Over the years, novelists have evolved in their presentation style. We've come to see novels without chapter titles, aiming to do more of showing than telling. However, I appreciated that Gewirtz titled the book's chapters. The titles gave me an idea of what the chapter would contain. I liked it because it made my reading purposeful. For instance, the first chapter had the title "2023." The title made the transition from the prologue to the main story seamless, as I knew the story had moved from past to present.

Don't Kill Me Because I'm Beautiful was fascinating to read, and I had no issues with it, except for the few errors I noticed, which wouldn't be enough to give the book a bad rating. Therefore, I would rate it 4 out of 4 stars. If thrillers are your thing, then I'd recommend this book to you; you would love it.

Don’t Kill Me Because I’m Beautiful
View: on Bookshelves
Hogwarts03
Currently Reading: Shatter Me
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hogwarts03.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Hogwarts03 »

This book sounds incredible, especially since it's to do with mystery and thriller. Great review.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I can’t wait to read this. Brooklyn seems to have many problems and I would love to see how they play out. Thanks for the review!
Victor Kilyungi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-kilyungi.html
Latest Review: A Fate Unwound Too Soon by anna-karen sorensen

Post by Victor Kilyungi »

Wow, the entanglements that here are beckoning me to pick this one up. Too bad I have a long reading list, lol. An amazing review however.
Reema Aydieh
Currently Reading: Everyone in My Family Has Killed Someone
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reema-aydieh.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Reema Aydieh »

I want to read this one now.
“Just keep swimming.”
Susan Kihleng
Currently Reading: Just Give Me a Soft Place to Land
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-kihleng.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Susan Kihleng »

Just added this one to my reading list. It looks like a fascinating story and now I'm curious about Brooklyn's kidnapping. Thanks for the great review!
Uzo_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzo-reviews.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by Uzo_Reviews »

I love books that maintained its mystery to the end. Most authors don't get this. This review was amazing.
Courtney Hughes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtney-hughes.html
Latest Review: Summer in the City by Kevin Phelps

Post by Courtney Hughes »

This seems like a book I would enjoy! Your review gave me a sense of what to expect without any spoilers. Thanks for the review! Can’t wait to check it out.
Snigdha Pandey
Favorite Author: David Levithan
Favorite Book: Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1)
Currently Reading: One last stop
Bookshelf Size: 316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snigdha-pandey.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 5798

Post by Snigdha Pandey »

One look at the title and it piqued my interest. The story also sounds interesting. Descriptive language, so you can play out the scenes in your head, is always a plus, especially for a thriller. I would like to read this.
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

The title got my attention and I am happy to see an author write something of this nature. The storyline sounds fascinating. Great review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

The premise of Brooklyn's kidnappng and lack of memory about it is an intriguing start for a thriller that seems well developed. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

I found this book captivating from the first paragraph. It's a must read for me. Thanks for the great review.
Joyjen
Currently Reading: My living Will
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyjen.html
Latest Review: Running the Sahara by Marcel Nickler

Post by Joyjen »

A well written storyline with believable characters, the title of the book got my attention and I would like to read this book so as to get more. A great review.
derialist
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-derialist.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by derialist »

I'm curious about how Brooklyn will grow as a character from a life with no purpose, overcoming the demons of her past and getting better. I also love the sense of intrigue in the book, which is sure to capture and hold my interest. Nonetheless, great review on the book. Thank you.
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

I love books and stories that are relatable to reality. Brooklyn's frailty is something we encounter in our environment. Most people can have everything and yet they would not know what to do with what they have. Good review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”