Review of 35

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Review of 35

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "35" by H.A. Stuart.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Scott Deluca joined the navy and was an outstanding sharpshooter. However, after basic training was completed, he was informed he had failed his physical because of a familial tremor. “Mr. Jones” (not his real name) from Estes International was there to immediately recruit him to work with them as an assassin, getting rid of threats to America. His true identity would be unknown by others in the organization, and he would be referred to as “35.”

After returning home early from an assignment that he had decided would be his last, Scott overheard his wife having an affair. Furious and wielding his gun, he approached her but then blacked out. Upon regaining consciousness, he discovered his wife dead from several gunshot wounds. Following his arrest for murder and feeling guilty for killing her, he confessed and was sentenced to death. After Scott spent eleven years on death row, “Mr. Jones” showed up and offered him a chance for freedom if he would do one last assignment for Estes International. Scott agreed. After being released from prison, he is provided the specifics of the assignment and begins having second thoughts. However, he may no longer have a choice.

35 by H. A. Stuart is a 211-page mystery/thriller that is the first book in a trilogy. It is written from Scott’s first-person point of view, which helps the reader perceive what he is thinking and, therefore, comprehend his actions. The descriptive prose is easy to follow. I appreciated how the author kept me guessing where the story was going to go next. Just when I thought I had things figured out, another twist surprised me. The novel jumps right into the action with Scott returning home early and overhearing his wife having an affair. After her death, it goes back into the past. The pace is slower for several chapters while Scott’s background is built. Then, the pace picks up. The thrilling action is sometimes interspersed with recollections from his past. However, each suspenseful scene becomes more intense than the previous one, building to a tension-filled climax. It is definitely a difficult book to put down.

Scott is a wonderfully developed character that we know well by the end of the story. The author skillfully narrated Scott’s past and assisted us in comprehending why he felt he had no choice but to join Estes International. Although imperfect, he had good intentions, believing he was aiding his nation. He doesn’t always behave as I think most people would under similar circumstances; however, the author is able to convey the reasons well enough that they are believable.

A few minor errors were encountered but not enough to warrant lowering the score. Therefore, because there was absolutely nothing else about this intriguing story that I didn’t enjoy, 35 achieves a rating of four out of four stars. It is unreservedly recommended to readers who enjoy suspenseful mysteries. Personally, I look forward to the upcoming book in the series.

Sensitive readers need to be aware that a few borderline profanities and some violence are included in the novel. Sex, although alluded to, is not graphically described.

View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Hmm... I can only guess at what happened, but I get the feeling that Scott was framed for the murder. I know I will have to read the book to find out! It seems like a very thrilling crime story.

Thank you for your excellent review!
:tiphat:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Josephe-Anne wrote: 06 Aug 2021, 01:25 Hmm... I can only guess at what happened, but I get the feeling that Scott was framed for the murder. I know I will have to read the book to find out! It seems like a very thrilling crime story.

Thank you for your excellent review!
:tiphat:
You should definitely read it! Thank you for stopping by and commenting!
djoh_
Currently Reading: Broken Inn
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djoh.html
Latest Review: The Little Book For Big Transformations (2nd Edition) by Skip Jennings

Post by djoh_ »

I do not read many mystery/thrillers, but this does sound like a fun read with many twists and turns! Descriptive prose and well-developed characters are always a plus, too. Thank you for your detailed review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

djoh_ wrote: 06 Aug 2021, 10:49 I do not read many mystery/thrillers, but this does sound like a fun read with many twists and turns! Descriptive prose and well-developed characters are always a plus, too. Thank you for your detailed review!
I hope you get a chance to read it. Thanks for reading my review and commenting!
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing thriller that has also a good character development built upon Scott's backstory. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Yay, the first book in a series. That’s my favorite. I think Scott’s “crime” and the last assignment are very convenient.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

NetMassimo wrote: 09 Aug 2021, 10:28 This seems like an intriguing thriller that has also a good character development built upon Scott's backstory. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
I appreciate you taking the time to read my review and posting a comment. I hope you enjoy the series!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

NetMassimo wrote: 09 Aug 2021, 10:28 This seems like an intriguing thriller that has also a good character development built upon Scott's backstory. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
I appreciate you taking the time to read my review and posting a comment. I hope you enjoy the series!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Amy Luman wrote: 09 Aug 2021, 13:42 Yay, the first book in a series. That’s my favorite. I think Scott’s “crime” and the last assignment are very convenient.
It does make you wonder, doesn't it? Thanks for stopping by!
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Post by Jagiine »

This does seem like an action-packed, engaging story. Thanks for your thorough review!
Priya_Singh
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-singh.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Priya_Singh »

I feel like reading this book. I am really curious about his last assignment and whether he is proved innocent or not.
Thanks for the great review. You did an amazing job.
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

The title got my attention, and it has a good storyline that is full of thrillers, and it's keeping me in suspense already. Great review.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Jagiine wrote: 10 Aug 2021, 13:25 This does seem like an action-packed, engaging story. Thanks for your thorough review!
It is, indeed! I hope you get a chance to read it!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Priya_Singh wrote: 10 Aug 2021, 22:34 I feel like reading this book. I am really curious about his last assignment and whether he is proved innocent or not.
Thanks for the great review. You did an amazing job.
I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did! :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”