Review of Scary

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Review of Scary

Post by Fazzier »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Scary" by Barbara Eck Tosi.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Scary: A Spine-Splintering Slide into What Lies Inside the Psychotic Mind is a collection of gripping poetic horror stories written by Barbara Eck Tosi. It has been divided into several chapters, and each chapter has a different narrative and a distinct theme. The most prevalent themes in this book are revenge and murder, and others such as infidelity, betrayal, lies, karma, and masochism, among others, have also been interlaced. I liked the fact that each of the stories had endings with pleasantly surprising turns and twists. More often than not, it was hard to predict what awaited at the end. Also, I couldn't help but notice how at home the author was with words: this work is rich in situation-tailored vocabulary, and all the scenes and the characters have been aptly and vividly described. Also, while some stories were utterly bloodcurdling, others such as “Hell to the Chiefs,” which admonishes corporate CEOs mistreating their employees, were thought-provoking and had moral lessons. Most of the stories were set in haunted places full of heartbeat-accelerating creepiness.

I greatly enjoyed this book and liked how well it was executed. When I started reading this book, I felt I would enjoy it, and enjoy it I did. What stood out for me was the author's rich writing style. These stories took a poetic format. Paragraphs were in stanza form, with their sentences (lines) ending in rhyming words. Most of the stanzas (paragraphs) had a regular rhyme scheme. The predominant stylistic device was the use of alliteration. This, besides the regular rhyme scheme, created a musical effect and effectively emphasized the author's modifiers. The author's unique, rich writing style was my favorite aspect of this story, and it highly enhanced my overall reading experience.

Furthermore, apart from the author's writing prowess, I liked how she exquisitely incorporated a diverse cast of characters in this work. They are ranging from psychopathic killers to other creepy ones, such as fairies, demons, wraiths, gnomes, ghosts, ghouls, goblins, sorcerers, cherubs, vultures, worms, scorpions, and bats, among others. From the above-mentioned list, horror lovers can have a glimpse of what to expect in this terrific tome.

All in all, I couldn't find anything to dislike about this book. It was exceptionally edited since I didn't find any errors. I am, therefore, glad to give Scary: A Spine-Splintering Slide into What Lies Inside the Psychotic Mind by Barbara Eck Tosi a perfect rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

To fans of well-written, thought-provoking horror tales, I highly recommend this. In general, I would also recommend this to all fans of poetry. On the other hand, I can't find anyone to caution against picking this outstanding book. Poetry and prose lovers can enjoy it alike.

Scary
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

The title of this book got my attention and my love for horror books is high. Would love to read this book.
Jessica Iwuagwu
Favorite Book: You, The People
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-iwuagwu.html
Latest Review: UNUM: Infinity and Eternity by Rudy Ernst

Post by Jessica Iwuagwu »

Okay, the cover page is not only creepy but chilling as well...and that is just my cup of tea, I am a huge fan of horror and look forward to reading this book
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing collection of horror stories, though the themes are really dark. My main problem is my difficulty in appreciating poems, as English is not my native language. Regardless, thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I like horror books. I do, however, prefer the ones that are creepy, like this one, over the ones that are exceedingly violent.
gina_rae73
Favorite Book: Wasting Time
Currently Reading: The Poe Consequence
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gina-rae73.html
Latest Review: A Spiritual Dog: "Bear" by J. Wesley Porter
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by gina_rae73 »

I enjoy anthology horror stories. Quick reads and straight the scare. I'll check this one out very soon!
:ecrivain: Gina Rae :gaah:
Elisa Joy Ocasla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elisa-joy-ocasla.html
Latest Review: Speech! by Simon Prentis

Post by Elisa Joy Ocasla »

These are literally enthralling horror stories that made everyone goosebumps. I’ll pass this one as I’m not keen on reading terrible scenes in books.
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

The title is self explanatory. I like the diverse theme in which the author uses in the expression of his work. I would love to read. Good review

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”