Review of Sherlock Holmes at Lincoln't Tomb

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Review of Sherlock Holmes at Lincoln't Tomb

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sherlock Holmes at Lincoln't Tomb" by John Raffensperger, MD.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sherlock Holmes at Lincoln's Tomb by John Raffensperger is a thrilling crime fiction story set in 1878. The story is related to the reader from Arthur Conan Doyle's diary, where he recorded the intriguing events that happened between September and December 1878.

Arthur Conan Doyle, Dr. Joseph Bell's medical assistant at the University of Edinburgh, is always thrilled at Dr. Bell's excellent observation skills and diagnosis. But what surprises him most is how Sherlock Holmes, a scientist working in Dr. Bell's lab, makes perfect diagnoses and even helps to solve criminal cases just by observation. One day, a letter arrives from America inviting Dr. Bell to come and deliver lectures on the surgical techniques practiced in Edinburgh at the Rush Medical College, Chicago. Angus Duncan, who sent the letter, adds that he wishes Dr. Bell to help him solve a personal matter about the murders of his employees. As a result, Dr. Bell, Arthur, and Sherlock both leave for America.

After some time in the US, Dr. Bell had to return to Edinburgh. Hence, he asks Arthur and Sherlock to stay back in America and continue with the investigations. Arthur and Sherlock soon discover that the murders are only a part of a bigger scheme by ex-confederate officers to assassinate the president. However, Arthur Conan Doyle and Sherlock Holmes first need to stay alive to solve the murders and save the president.

I am in awe of how this author managed to make every event in the book intriguing. The actions began from the get-go and continued to the end of the story. The plotline is also cohesive and with nerve-wracking events that make the reading experience unforgettable. Since the author presented the tale as recorded in Arthur's diary, the narrations are in the first-person point of view. I enjoyed this style because it made the narrations more realistic and artistic.

What I like most about this book is the inclusion of historical events and real-life organizations and people in the story. For example, the use of Pinkertons, a private detective agency popular in America at the time, in the book gave me a feeling of how the agency operated at that time. Also, the James Gang, renowned for robberies in the nineteenth century, made the narrations seem like a real-life account.

Furthermore, I must commend the author for the excellent characterization, which is evident in how I feared for the characters' safety and got angry anytime one of them wandered off or tried to solve the case alone. The characters are life-like, and their dialogues are natural and distinct. My favorite character is Arthur; he is relatable and excellently portrays the life of a young man who needs a medical career to escape poverty but is also hungry for some adventure and arts. The other characters are also as exciting, and they all impressively played their roles, making the book hard to put down.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and must commend the author for the vivid descriptions in it. The environment, characters, and events are easy to visualize. I felt like an eyewitness to the events unfolding but helplessly couldn't warn my favorite characters of imminent danger. In conclusion, I didn't dislike anything about the book, even though I found some editing errors in it. Therefore, I rate Sherlock Holmes at Lincoln's Tomb four out of four stars. I highly recommend it to lovers of fast-paced crime fiction stories with real-life historical elements and a captivating writing style. Nevertheless, if you find graphic descriptions of surgery and autopsy in books off-putting, you should consider skipping this one. Otherwise, happy reading!

Sherlock Holmes at Lincoln't Tomb
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: I Have Proof of a Higher Power by Ioan Dirina

Post by Harty Muli »

Heard a lot about the writer Arthur Doyle so I think it will be an interesting book to read. Thanks for the great review.
Kanchan Bhil
Currently Reading: That Guy What Kill Topsy
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-bhil.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Kanchan Bhil »

Sherlock Holmes along with Arther Conan Doyle!? Well, this would definitely be an interesting read. I have loved all the books I have read about Sherlock Holmes till now. Thank you for this great review!
Rimsha Falak
Currently Reading: Chameleons
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rimsha-falak.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by Rimsha Falak »

Just the fact that the author decided to put both Sherlock Holmes and Arthur Conan Doyle as the main characters in the story is enough for me to want to read it, but your glowing review has convinced me even more!
marta baglioni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

Smart literary device here! This might be a really interesting reading. Thanks!
Snigdha Pandey
Favorite Author: David Levithan
Favorite Book: Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1)
Currently Reading: One last stop
Bookshelf Size: 316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snigdha-pandey.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 5798

Post by Snigdha Pandey »

I saw 'Sherlock Holmes' in the title, and my interest was already piqued. I absolutely love murder mysteries, and Sherlock Holmes is definitely the most popular detective ever. I love the idea of putting Arthur Conan Doyle and Sherlock Holmes together as characters. The review suggests the book is as good as the plot line will make you think. I would definitely love to read it.
Theana De lima Araujo
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theana-d.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Theana De lima Araujo »

I'm not going for flattery, just truthfully this is one of the best reviews I've read so far, it was simply captivating. I feel that this would be an excellent read though I'd already decided on it by the second paragraph. Sherlock always has my attention. Thank you for a stellar review.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: My Spouse, my friend by Ingiete Oyama

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Dr. Bell sounds like a gifted intellect and was surrounded by smart individuals also. Arthur and Sherlock's discovery makes me want to get a copy of this book. Awesome review!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Brandy_Nyongesa
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandy-nyongesa.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Brandy_Nyongesa »

This book seems to be interesting to read. I love crime fiction stories. Murder mysteries are not something I would want to read. Great review
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Wow! I have recently watched a movie starring Robert Downey Jr as Sherlock Holmes, and I absolutely loved it. So I won't mind reading this book. Thank you for the recommendation.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Attempts on the President’s life are nothing new. Being able to figure out how that is happening is new.
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

You had me at "fast-paced crime fiction stories with real-life historical elements and a captivating writing style." This sounds like something right up my alley. Thank you for writing such an amazing and descriptive review. I enjoyed reading it very much!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing crime fiction novel based on Arthur Conan Doyle and his Sherlock Holmes stories that probably can be enjoyed particularly by readers of those stories. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

Sherlock Holmes is a character that I admire. I would love to read the suspense-filled thrilling book. Good review.
Silenteyes_11_6
Currently Reading: The One (The Only One) #1
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silenteyes-11-6.html
Latest Review: Firstborn Daddyman by Frank Bailey

Post by Silenteyes_11_6 »

Just reading 'Sherlock Holmes' in the title attracted me to read the review and it did end on a good note for me. It is interesting to have the trio Arthur Conan Doyle, Dr. Joseph Bell's and Sherlock Holmes I already find it very interesting!
Thanks for review! :tiphat:

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”