Review of Viral

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Review of Viral

Post by ciecheesemeister »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Viral" by Robin Cook.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Viral is a medical mystery by Dr. Robin Cook. The book calls attention to both the dangers of mosquito-borne illnesses that are overlooked due to the current focus on the COVID-19 pandemic and to inequities and unethical practices in the American medical system. In this story, Dr. Cook draws attention to short-term insurance policies that have so many clauses and exclusions that in the end they really cover nothing except for the insurance company’s bank account.

The prologue introduces the reader to the Asian tiger mosquito, describing how they can carry certain devastating diseases such as Eastern Equine Encephalitis that infect humans or other animals when they are bitten by the mosquito. In the first chapter, readers are introduced to Brian and Emma Murphy, a pair of former police officers enjoying a vacation in a beach cottage in Wellfleet, Massachusetts with their four-year-old daughter Juliette.

This will be the couple’s last vacation before returning to New York to try and promote the private security business that they established before the COVID-19 pandemic hit. They are concerned about their finances but don’t give much thought to the short-term health insurance policy that they obtained from a company called Premier Insurance when payments for a COBRA policy from the NYPD proved to be prohibitively costly.

While enjoying a barbecue on the beach, Emma notes the presence of mosquitoes. When one lands on her arm, she recognizes it as an Asian tiger mosquito from a medical lecture at the police academy. Juliette retreats to the water while Brian runs to the car to retrieve the insect repellant. Emma notes that the mosquitoes are very aggressive towards herself and Juliette, but they don’t seem to have any interest in Brian.

The next day, Emma isn’t feeling well. She is feverish, nauseated, and irritable. The family decides to cut their vacation short. While en route home, Emma has a seizure. When Brian reaches the hospital, Emma is able to walk inside with his assistance. From this point, Brian’s life becomes nightmarish, not only due to the sharp decline in Emma’s health but from being harassed by aggressive bill collectors when Premier Insurance refuses to pay for services rendered.

What follows is an intense, immersive, and all too real account of how the broken healthcare system is failing U.S. citizens while benefitting greedy corporations. As Dr. Cook states in the dedication:

“This book is dedicated to the fervent hope that members of the US Congress will comprehend the need to enact, at the very minimum, a viable public healthcare option.”

As a passionate proponent of Medicare/Medicaid for All, Dr. Cook’s willingness to showcase in no uncertain terms the way the modern U.S. healthcare system fails the public is my favorite aspect of the book. In some cases, families are left destitute. Patients and their families must weigh whether they can afford certain treatments rather than opting for the treatment most likely to produce the best outcome. It is appalling that in the wealthiest country in the world healthcare is treated as a luxury rather than a right.

The version of the book that I received through Online Book Club is an advance review copy. There is a statement at the beginning of the document identifying it as consisting of uncorrected proofs. From the readability of the story, it appears that it has already been professionally edited. A few minor errors remained in the text. I imagine that these errors will be cleared up before the book goes to print.

The thing I liked least about the story was the repeated reference to “mildly overweight” men. This term appeared so often that I jokingly remarked in my notes that I ought to suggest that the title of the book be changed to “The Tale of the Mildly Overweight Man and Others.”

I find the term “overweight” othering and I question the validity of the BMI as a measure of health. It was not designed to be such. It was originally an actuarial tool. When people are considerably larger or smaller than the median, there is an underlying reason for it. In the case of larger people, there are often endocrine problems.

Having been othered for most of my life due to my size and having had to become my own advocate due to shaming treatment by healthcare professionals, I take exception to the assertion that losing weight prevents certain health conditions any more than getting hair plugs would prevent a man with pattern baldness from being at a higher risk of prostate cancer. A person’s size is much more complex than the “calories in, calories out” model leads people to believe. Further, dieting slows the metabolism, leading to a vicious cycle of weight loss and regaining until the body is no longer able to lose weight even with drastically reduced caloric intake.

This being said, “overweight” is simply a boring description. There are so many better adjectives to describe large or heavy people, including “large” and “heavy.” Burly, blocky, brawny, chubby, chunky, heavyset, hefty, plump, robust, rotund, stocky, stout, and just plain fat are all better adjectives than “overweight.” Each of them implies something slightly different. A stout person, for instance, is usually on the short side while a rotund person is very large. I am pleased that the author did not opt for the offensive descriptor “obese,” which we big people absolutely deem an abusive term.

This story is a great choice for those who enjoy medical mysteries or action thrillers. It does not contain a great deal of profanity and it contains no graphic erotic scenes. There are scenes of violence, but they are not especially graphic. Despite being written by a physician, the book does not contain much in the way of “medicalese.” It is written in a straightforward and engaging style that readers of any background can enjoy.

Those who do not enjoy medical stories or thrillers would be advised to select another book. Also, at 415 pages, this is quite a lengthy story. Readers who like shorter reads would probably prefer to avoid this book.

After taking all factors into account, I rate Viral four out of four stars.

Viral
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

Seeing the title I thought it was a nonfiction book. You wrote a great review. Would love to read this book.
Ramra
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Ramra »

Excellent review, sounds like an interesting read, but I don't think it's for me
Snigdha Pandey
Favorite Author: David Levithan
Favorite Book: Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1)
Currently Reading: One last stop
Bookshelf Size: 316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snigdha-pandey.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 5798

Post by Snigdha Pandey »

This is a really detailed review. I loved how the reviewer has talked about their own beliefs about 'overweight' people as well. While I do think obesity can be an issue, but I know so many people personally who are overweight due to thyroid issue or pcod. Every body is built different. My body's ideal weight might not be the same as another person's. Also, there is the bone weight. Some people just have heavier bones. So judging someone's fitness just based on weight is oversimplification.

The book looks intriguing, but also a little depressing read. I'll check it out when I am in the mood for a longer, serious read.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I’ve read other books by Robin Cook and I liked them all. I don’t see any reason that I wouldn’t like this one. Thanks!
Theana De lima Araujo
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theana-d.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Theana De lima Araujo »

Hi, Thank you for the informative review. I suppose the descriptors on weight would be up to personal preference, it's cool to see your opinion on the matter. I like the point about a lot of the focus being put on the pandemic. It's true and it seems a lot of other issues are ignored because of it...like the inadequate health system. Have a lovely day.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an interesting medical thriller based on very solid premises and developed with great realism. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Vidhi Adhikari
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: True Teryn
Bookshelf Size: 280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidhi-adhikari.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Vidhi Adhikari »

Sounds like an interesting read and reminds me of the movie 'Contagion'. I do enjoy stories on virus breakouts so this should also turn out to be a good read for me.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”