Review of Chablis

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Review of Chablis

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Chablis" by Gentille One.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Chablis: I Can Now Breathe by Gentille One is an action book centered around Mortelle, a law enforcement division that deals with challenging cases such as serial killers, drug distribution, or human trafficking situations. One of their main enemies is the Organization, a secret group that employs attractive women to seduce and kill Mortelle agents. In response, Mortelle forms DEJI, an all-female division trained by the best instructors.

The novel introduces many agents and presents various moments of their professional and personal lives. Alec Paige is one of the senior agents that goes through a rough time when his sister is attacked in her house by three men. Alec follows the perpetrators and discovers a group of terrorists hiding in Germany. Agent Tina Leone is married to Kevin, also a colleague. They hardly see each other, and his unfaithfulness adds a strain to their relationship. Ayman Hess is married to Sylvia, another agent; she is in danger because she was careless in her latest mission. Their daughter, Noelle, is a rising star in Mortelle, and she believes her father is MIA (missing in action), maybe dead. Cadet Fawn Fox has a crush on William Battle, one of her instructors. Are you curious to find more about the life of a Mortelle agent?

Some cases were interesting, and I followed a couple of stories with a lot of curiosity. I specifically enjoyed Fawn’s introduction to the Mortelle world. I also loved that all the women were strong and (at least) equal to men. However, there were many negative issues. First, the writing style was lacking continuity. The writer moved from one scene to another, without transition, using just brusque phrases. I felt like reading the second book of a series. The author introduced a flood of characters and then presented them in random situations. That was one example: “Agent William Battle walked into the Whiskey Bottom promptly at eight thirty solo. Semy told him where Sheila Roberts generally sits.” I had no idea who Semy was. The writer tried to build a fast-paced book but delivered a confusing and disconnected novel. There were so many things I didn’t understand. Maybe I didn’t have the security clearance.

Mortelle had a reputation among the bad guys, but I didn’t understand what made the division so scary. The agents were not extraordinary, from any point of view. Actually, I found them weak and easy to distract. They were trained men and knew that unknown women were hunting them; yet, the only possible solution has been to train women to join them. Also, the agents had no moral compass; they were even proud of breaking all the rules.

I recommend the book to people that like investigations and suspense books, filled with action. However, you must be very patient if you want to understand the overabundance of stories. It took me 200 pages (half of the novel) to finally follow the leads and get engaged in the book. If you like well-developed characters, this one is not for you. However, the presentation of strong and capable women might be appealing to some readers.

I cannot rate the book higher than 2 out of 4 stars. One point was taken away because the novel was very confusing and difficult to understand. Also, I found more than ten errors of all kinds, so I had to lower the rating. I had many expectations from this book, but I struggled a lot to finish it.

Chablis
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

This book seems interesting. I like that the novel has tried to show women as strong beings and holding their own against men. But I am hesitant about reading the book due to the confusing character introduction. Thanks for the great review.
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

You wrote a wonderful review. The book sounds intriguing, but it's awful that it is confusing and difficult to understand. It's sad that the book didn't met your expectations. Thanks for the amazing review.
onyii_review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyii-review.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by onyii_review »

This book holds a lot for women to learn from. I'm sure we'll find a way to get around with the flaw in the book. Great review
Uzzy_Reviews
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

I liked the honesty of your review!!
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Ruchi Raina wrote: 27 Aug 2021, 09:46 This book seems interesting. I like that the novel has tried to show women as strong beings and holding their own against men. But I am hesitant about reading the book due to the confusing character introduction. Thanks for the great review.
That was my take on it, but maybe another reader will be more "understanding" :). Thank you for your feedback!
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Kaushiki Parihar wrote: 27 Aug 2021, 10:07 You wrote a wonderful review. The book sounds intriguing, but it's awful that it is confusing and difficult to understand. It's sad that the book didn't met your expectations. Thanks for the amazing review.
I am glad I got the motivation to finish it, though. Thank you for stopping by!
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

onyii_review wrote: 27 Aug 2021, 10:36 This book holds a lot for women to learn from. I'm sure we'll find a way to get around with the flaw in the book. Great review
I would be so glad if you did that! Thank you for your comment!
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

ROSEYANN wrote: 27 Aug 2021, 13:14 I liked the honesty of your review!!
Thank you, I appreciate your feedback!
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

It sounds as though this book has potential but still needs work to reach it. Trying to keep track of all the characters and their stories could be confusing, and I find it irritating when characters don't seem to have any morals, especially those in law enforcement. Therefore, I don't think this book is for me. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Janet Kimetto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Janet Kimetto »

This book's plot sounds interesting, and it is unfortunate that it's confusing and still needs some editing. Great review!
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Mortelle, a law enforcement agency going for an all-female division trained by the best instructors to counter a secret group who recruit women to seduce Mortelle agents looks very much entertaining to me. Thanks for your brilliant review, which I enjoyed reading and was very insightful too.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

It is really a pity that it is necessary to get to the middle of the novel to finally get engaged in the book as well as the fact that the characters are not better developed. Thanks for the good and objective review.
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I love books with strong female characters. However, these women seem to have been added only to fulfill a requirement. I don’t think it’s for me. Thanks for a great review!
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Prisallen wrote: 28 Aug 2021, 07:30 It sounds as though this book has potential but still needs work to reach it. Trying to keep track of all the characters and their stories could be confusing, and I find it irritating when characters don't seem to have any morals, especially those in law enforcement. Therefore, I don't think this book is for me. Thanks for your wonderful review!
It is quite tiring, indeed. Thank you for your visit, I appreciate it!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”