Review of Soul Man

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Guda Lydia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guda-lydia.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of Soul Man

Post by Guda Lydia »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Soul Man" by John Selby.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As darkness slowly engulfed David Reynolds, he thought of his broken life. In a matter of months, he had lost his job, two children, and an eighteen-year-old marriage. A single mistake was all it took to unravel everything he cherished. He was now lying in a pool of his own blood, shot three times by an unfamiliar figure. Then everything went black. Reynolds awoke again, but everything was strange, and his body was functioning without his input. His voice, physique, and demeanor were all different. Then, the realization sank; somehow, his soul was alive and trapped in his killer’s body, seeing the world through his eyes.

Confusion soon turned into a determination to find answers. His killer was an oddity and borderline paranoid, alarming David even more. However, there was no obvious connection between the two, leaving more questions about the motive of the murder. Through out-of-the-box thinking, Reynolds began to uncover more about his killer and stumbled upon a startling similarity. They both knew Donald McFadden, his ex-wife's lawyer, and friend. However, his killer’s hatred toward the lawyer was immense and personal, creating more mystery. Who is McFadden, and how is he connected to his predicament? What is his wife’s involvement in all this? Further digging led Reynolds to a path of more revelations, heartbreak, love, and surprise compassion towards his killer.

John Selby excellently brings forth an intricate and captivating storyline. The introductory sentence instantly hooks the reader, creating a need to know what the book holds. The character description ensures the reader can easily visualize the physical traits and personalities of each. Each scene includes extensive details, enabling one to experience every explanation. For instance, when Reynolds was shot, the description allowed one to see the bullet tearing through his flesh, burning him, and feel the immense pain and confusion he underwent.

My favorite aspect of the read is the revelations, numerous twists, and lies, which made for a very engaging read that compelled one to be in constant detective mode. Every chapter had something new and unexpected to offer. However, I noted numerous instances of repetition, like the fact that Reynolds was stuck in his killer’s body, which is younger and more physically fit. The statement repeats severally in various forms. Additionally, the book’s conclusion gradually turns into a cliché, which is not necessarily bad, but I expected more since it is a unique storyline.

I found only two minor grammatical and spacing errors, evidence of the book’s excellent editing. The language used is simple but with significant cases of profanity and several sexually intimate scenes. There is also mention of Christianity and God, however, not in an offensive or distracting way. Soul Man is a thrilling novel that combines the supernatural, crime, and romance genres. It is also memoir-like, where the main character narrates his life story, making it very realistic. I gladly give it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. Further, each character comes with specific details that create build-up and anticipation, making Soul Man a difficult read to put down. If this is your kind of read, then I highly recommend the book.

Soul Man
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Thank you so much for mentioning the sex scenes. I try to avoid a book with those if I know about them in advance. They make me very uncomfortable and seldom seem necessary. Thanks for the great review!
Ntombifuthi Londi
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntombifuthi-londi.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ntombifuthi Londi »

The book really seems to be captive and engaging. Imagine being trapped in your killers body? The plot looks well-written and the review is amazing. I would love to read this book. Great review
kperm
Currently Reading: Harry Potter The Prisoner of Azkaban
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kperm.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by kperm »

The plot of the book is very interesting. At first, I didn’t think much of the book as I didn’t like the cover. However, after reading your review, I am intrigued. If seems thatJohn Selby included several exciting plot twists. Thank you for sharing your review.
Chiwelite O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-o.html
Latest Review: The Water Bear by Groucho Jones

Post by Chiwelite O »

The storyline seems interesting. I'm looking forward to read this book. Thank your for your wonderful review.
Clare Jose
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clare-jose.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Clare Jose »

"My favorite aspect of the read is the revelations, numerous twists, and lies, which made for a very engaging read that compelled one to be in constant detective mode.

The book looks really promising. It's not often I come across a book with a story like this. I'm very curious to know how things end for the protagonist.
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."
dewanandtiwari786
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by dewanandtiwari786 »

The storyline seems interesting. I'm looking forward to read this book. Thank your for your wonderful review.
Snigdha Pandey
Favorite Author: David Levithan
Favorite Book: Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1)
Currently Reading: One last stop
Bookshelf Size: 316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snigdha-pandey.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 5798

Post by Snigdha Pandey »

The book sounds really interesting. I don't think I've come across a book where the murdered person finds himself in the body of his killer. Even after the mention of a 'cliche' ending in the review, I can't think of any cliche ending for this plot at the moment. So I would love to try this book.
Iqra Rafiq 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iqra-rafiq-1.html
Latest Review: Heroes of Atlantis by Ryan Carriere

Post by Iqra Rafiq 1 »

A crime thriller, full of suspense. The book looks interesting to read. If I get a chance to go through will like to give it a read. Thank you for the review
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing supernatural thriller cleverly constructed to offer surprises and twists throughout the story. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

The plot of the book is an intriguing one. David Reynold is a wonderful character. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”