Review of The Loch

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Review of The Loch

Post by Rayah Raouf »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Loch" by Dee Taylor.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Loch by Dee Taylor is a fantastic thriller fiction. This book is quite a short read. This book is also not part of a series.

The story initially begins in the present day. I would recommend reading this paragraph once after finishing the story. The main story starts with a couple, Jack Armstrong and Tina. They are out in Scotland on vacation and are trying to mend their relationship. They are camping by the side of the lake. One day, a creature emerges from the lake while fishing. They believe it is the Loch Ness monster. Jack wants to stay in town for a while and try to take pictures of the creature. They meet Jimmy Bell, who is in charge of the Loch Ness Zoological Research Beareu and a man, Red Angus, who has devoted his life to the creature. Jack believes he will get lucky and will get a good picture of it. However, Tina wants to go home, especially after they run into the brothers Barsh.

Will looking for Nessie mend Jack and Tina's relationship? Or will they come out torn apart due to the obsession? Will the organization and Red Angus prove to be helpful? You have to read till the very end to find out these answers. The story will surprise you for sure.

I loved how the events of the story unfolded. It was steady and kept me interested. Not only was the Loch Ness monster a significant part of the story, but so was treasure hunting. My favourite character was Red Angus. I could immediately picture him in my mind. His back story was interesting, and I wished I got to know him a bit more. Finally, the author made me gasp out loud more than once. He made some interesting and not so typical decisions with the characters. I liked the risk he took, and I appreciated how he implemented them into the book.

I was not the biggest fan of the relationship between the two main characters. I do not believe they were emotionally connected. There were times I felt their relationship was a bit unnatural. I was especially shocked about the way the woman acted. She was not terrible, and I eventually understood why the author made her character like that. When I reached the mid-point of the book, I took a break. I had to take some time to process the events. The book is not heavy with content, but you should put yourself in their shoes. I had to think about their reasoning and their motives.

I believe this book deserves 4 out of 4 stars. It was short and enjoyable. The last part of the book took me by surprise and moved quite fast. However, that adds to the suspense. It is quite a short book, and I found myself on the edge of my seat most of the time. I also believe this book has been professionally edited as there weren't many typos.

Those interested in mystery and adventure would love this. I would recommend The Loch to those interested in the Loch Ness monster. I would also recommend it to an older audience due to a few graphic descriptions and frequent profanity.

The Loch
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
โ€œMemories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.โ€โ€• Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

I love stories based on legends! Thank you for a lovely review. The Loch is going into my bookshelf.๐Ÿ‘Œ
๐Ÿ•‰Be Here NowโŒ›
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

Books about monsters isn't my favorite but I think I would love to add this to my book shelves, nice review
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

Relationships are very delicate and can break at any time. I would love to read and know how it ended. Thanks for your review.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Niens Now wrote: โ†‘22 Sep 2021, 04:27 I love stories based on legends! Thank you for a lovely review. The Loch is going into my bookshelf.๐Ÿ‘Œ
This was a well-made book honestly. I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did.
Gabriella1997 wrote: โ†‘23 Sep 2021, 01:13 Books about monsters isn't my favorite but I think I would love to add this to my book shelves, nice review
I wouldn't call the creature a monster honestly, because there are great explanations inside. However, its a great read. Thank you.
Luchris_michael wrote: โ†‘23 Sep 2021, 08:22 Relationships are very delicate and can break at any time. I would love to read and know how it ended. Thanks for your review.
I agree! There is quite a big focus on the relationship too. It is an enjoyable read. Thank you!
โ€œMemories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.โ€โ€• Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Writing for the Vialins
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Post by NetMassimo »

A mystery centered around the Loch Ness and its monster seems intriguing. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Whatโ€™s happened? This story is based on the Loch Ness Monster. Itโ€™s hard to write about things like this because nothing can be proven
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I enjoy reading mysteries and adventure stories, so this sounds like a book I would enjoy. I'm curious as to whether Jack and Tina mended their relationship. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I love Nessie, so this seems like a very interesting read. Thank you for the great introduction!
Muna Chizzy
Currently Reading: Gardening With Guns
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muna-chizzy.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Muna Chizzy »

Seems like a thrilling monster story. Am curious to know how the two main characters obsession for this monster will turn out. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:

Post by Rayah Raouf »

NetMassimo wrote: โ†‘24 Sep 2021, 15:48 A mystery centered around the Loch Ness and its monster seems intriguing. Thank you for your great review!
Thank you! It is a good mystery!
Amy Luman wrote: โ†‘24 Sep 2021, 16:22 Whatโ€™s happened? This story is based on the Loch Ness Monster. Itโ€™s hard to write about things like this because nothing can be proven
I agree. I like how authors have the freedom to display their own ideas when it comes to these myths.
Prisallen wrote: โ†‘25 Sep 2021, 08:26 I enjoy reading mysteries and adventure stories, so this sounds like a book I would enjoy. I'm curious as to whether Jack and Tina mended their relationship. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Thank you for the kind words! It truly is an interesting book.
Raluca_Mihaila wrote: โ†‘29 Sep 2021, 13:49 I love Nessie, so this seems like a very interesting read. Thank you for the great introduction!
Thank you :)
Muna Chizzy wrote: โ†‘02 Oct 2021, 04:19 Seems like a thrilling monster story. Am curious to know how the two main characters obsession for this monster will turn out. Thanks for the wonderful review.
People's obsession makes them do weird things. Thank you :)

Return to โ€œCrime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Booksโ€